First Batch of Quad Berry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked again today. It's starting to slow down now. It was at 1.001, so it should be finished tomorrow. Then it won't be long and I'll be drinking it!!!!

Once it gets below 1.000 you need 3 days of the same SG before its done. So basically, give it 4 more days or so before you call it done.

Checked it today and it is .994. If all goes well, it will be racked on Friday.

Nice going, Marc. I know, in the Dragon Blood Recipe, I said to stabilize/degas the wine when it gets to SG=1.000. However, as JJ has pointed out, that is not necessary. The recipe was for making it as fast as possible. You can certainly let it go completely dry in the fermenter before proceeding to stabilize. If you have the extra time (as every good winemaker should :D), this may in fact be preferable. I have done it both ways with equal success.

Thanks Dave! I have all kinds of time. I don't "need" the Dragon's Blood until October. I hope it lasts that long. I probably will start another batch anyway. Now, if I could just find 16 oz clear bottles to put it in!!!!! The EZ cap bottles will take crown cap, but they are a little bit expensive.

The Dragon Blood always goes quick! I've resolved to just make it constantly, trying to get ahead of consumption. Due to a shortage of clear bottles on my part, I have resorted to bottling about a dozen 750ml bottles per batch and the rest in gallon jugs. I keep the gallons in the fridge, and we drink off those. You should see the looks I get when guests stop by, and I pull out a gorgeous gallon bottle of beautiful red wine. :h ...I just smile.

Nice going, Marc. I know, in the Dragon Blood Recipe, I said to stabilize/degas the wine when it gets to SG=1.000. However, as JJ has pointed out, that is not necessary. The recipe was for making it as fast as possible. You can certainly let it go completely dry in the fermenter before proceeding to stabilize. If you have the extra time (as every good winemaker should :D), this may in fact be preferable. I have done it both ways with equal success.

I think I stabilized before waiting the 3 days as well but my SG was .990 so I was pretty sure it was done. I just want to make sure we are at least trying to suggest proper patience...hehe.

Thanks Dave! I have all kinds of time. I don't "need" the Dragon's Blood until October. I hope it lasts that long. I probably will start another batch anyway. Now, if I could just find 16 oz clear bottles to put it in!!!!! The EZ cap bottles will take crown cap, but they are a little bit expensive.

Other than ordering online and paying ridiculous shipping costs, I haven't been able to find clear beer bottles. Since dumpster diving hasn't worked out for me, I'm stuck using all regular beer bottles for my pee. But I at least do 1 clear wine bottle per batch (sold at my LHBS) so I can compare my batch colors.

Southlake, I found a place that sells clear 12 is bottles. I'm waiting to see if they sell to individuals and what their price is. If that falls through, I'll resort to buying modelo especial for some friends and letting them drink. The cost should be about the same as from a dealer and there won't be any shipping costs. The price we pay to get what we want. Lol

Checked again today and gravity was .994. That's 2 days I a row. Looks like Friday will be the racking day!!! :D

Why, thank you! Thank you very much!! It tastes a little tart right now, but I'll wait until its clear to decide how much backsweetening it will need.

Southlake, I found a place that sells clear 12 is bottles. I'm waiting to see if they sell to individuals and what their price is. If that falls through, I'll resort to buying modelo especial for some friends and letting them drink. The cost should be about the same as from a dealer and there won't be any shipping costs. The price we pay to get what we want. Lol

Lucky! I'm jealous. I have a few clear bottles (like 4) that I've come across but I don't drink much Corona or Modelo and I would prefer not to buy a bunch just to get bottles. Maybe in time I will though.

Why, thank you! Thank you very much!! It tastes a little tart right now, but I'll wait until its clear to decide how much backsweetening it will need.

Congrats! Yep, sounds like its time! Mine was tart for a few weeks. Thankfully I ended up back sweetening just right as after a few weeks it was perfect. But that sure is hard to do when the wine is young and funny tasting. Below are my notes:

6/26 - Sweetened with 5 cups of inverted sugar to SG of 1.007 and bottled. This did not seem sweet enough but it did have a "young wine" taste to it. Following my experiments with batches #3-#6, I am opting to stick with 1.007 to see how it ages. In the forum threads on this wine, 1.006 appears to be a good SG to finish at.

That company I was talking about seems to be ignoring my inquiry. I'll give them a couple more days. I don't drink beer, so I'll have to rely on others for the bottles. I would much rather have the modelo bottles, but cost will play a big factor in it.

Gravity was .994 for the third day in a row! Tomorrow is racking day!!

Latest posts

Back