Fining, again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Mornin' all

Question - The merlot and syrah that I currently am working on was picked in Sept and the different kinds of oak I used was taken off after 7-8 weeks. It is just bulk aging right now. When would I use super-kleer or another fining agent? I plan to bulk age for at least 6 months - then filter (buon vino mini jet) and bottle. Still pretty harsh in the tasting at this time. I did use french, american and hungarian oaks in various toasts in the carboys and I left one with no oak (in case I have to blend later). SO,

when would I fine or clarify?

Thanx for all your advice

rrawhide
rick

Fineing agents like something to grab on to. So, I would add after the 2nd racking if you were using grapes.

You probably won't need any fining agents if you are going to bulk age it 6 months. It is harder to see in the darker reds, but try to see if there is sediment on the bottom of the carboy. If there is rack them about every 1-2 months through the aging process until there isn't anything on the bottom after transfer.

If you think you need to help it along use can mix up some bentonite and stir it in. Then rack that off after a month. Probably won't need super-kleer.

I agree with Appleman, bulk aging that long and then filtering will do the trick and you most likely wont need any fining agent.

Back