Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my 2021 Forte Merlot some time ago. It’s got a eucalyptus/menthol taste when I first open it. Eventually (about mid bottle) it dissipates. Or, I give the bottle a good shake and then decant it for about an hour. That seems to help clear the odd nose and flavor.

Has this happened to anything else? Not sure what it is or how to clear it beyond the bottle-by-bottle approach I’ve taken.

I bottled my 2021 Forte Merlot some time ago. It’s got a eucalyptus/menthol taste when I first open it. Eventually (about mid bottle) it dissipates. Or, I give the bottle a good shake and then decant it for about an hour. That seems to help clear the odd nose and flavor.

Has this happened to anything else? Not sure what it is or how to clear it beyond the bottle-by-bottle approach I’ve taken.
Somewhere looooong ago I remember reading that a menthol taste in white wine is fairly common and in some reds, but I've never experienced it.

Check out this link. It specifically mentions menthol taste in merlot.

Menthol.
Menthol

Another link that mention eucalyptus taste in wine.

https://www.awri.com.au/industry_support/winemaking_resources/sensory_assessment/recognition-of-wine-faults-and-taints/wine_faults/#:~:text=The%20'eucalyptus'%20aroma%20in%20red,%2D2%2Doxabicyclo%2D%5B2.2.

I preordered three wines from FWK and am waiting for them to come in (sometime between now and end of October). I ordered two Forte Zinfandels and a Chardonnay- these kits each yield about 6 gallons of finished wine. It’s the third wine that has me a little giddy - The Winery Series Petite Sirah. This one will yield about 3 times the finished wine in the end (somewhere between 15 and 18 gallons depending on how we mix it).

I bought 9 grape skin packs, and enough additives for a Forte-strength wine. Add to that some tannin and medium plus toasted French oak in the finish and this might be a winner.

I figured I had to give it a go. I was one of the few that answered Matt’s “what would you like from FWK” survey with “larger format kits.” So, it spoke to me when I saw it.

It’s the third wine that has me a little giddy - The Winery Series Petite Sirah. This one will yield about 3 times the finished wine in the end (somewhere between 15 and 18 gallons depending on how we mix it).

I bought 9 grape skin packs, and enough additives for a Forte-strength wine. Add to that some tannin and medium plus toasted French oak in the finish and this might be a winner.

I figured I had to give it a go. I was one of the few that answered Matt’s “what would you like from FWK” survey with “larger format kits.” So, it spoke to me when I saw it.
You need to keep us posted on your progress. This sounds like a ton of fun!

The Winery Series Petite Sirah. This one will yield about 3 times the finished wine in the end (somewhere between 15 and 18 gallons depending on how we mix it).

Looking at the website description, I question the idea of water dilution to pick what side of the Forte, Tavola, Novello spectrum a person wants to land on.

I hear folks on this forum often say "the FWKs are "balanced" so then end result after adding water is correct. If this is the case, how can you use the same volume of grape concentrate and add anywhere from 10 gals of water (Forte) to up to 16 gals of water (Novello) without throwing something off balance?

Seems like we either assume things are being "balanced" or water dilution doesn't affect the overall balance. Maybe I'm missing something. 🤔

Looking at the website description, I question the idea of water dilution to pick what side of the Forte, Tavola, Novello spectrum a person wants to land on.

I hear folks on this forum often say "the FWKs are "balanced" so then end result after adding water is correct. If this is the case, how can you use the same volume of grape concentrate and add anywhere from 10 gals of water (Forte) to up to 16 gals of water (Novello) without throwing something off balance?

Seems like we either assume things are being "balanced" or water dilution doesn't affect the overall balance. Maybe I'm missing something. 🤔
Can't say I "know" the complete answer to this but off the top of my head maybe the add pack one chooses for which path has at least the customized amount of acid to keep the ph in the right range. But that's really just a guess.

Agree - I had that same question. With a higher volume of added water, I would think you'd go the acidulated water route to insure against an off-kilter pH. I'm going to prep the kit with an original gravity around 1.100. I'm hoping that avoids the issue entirely. Still, I'll check pH just in case.

Agree - I had that same question. With a higher volume of added water, I would think you'd go the acidulated water route to insure against an off-kilter pH. I'm going to prep the kit with an original gravity around 1.100. I'm hoping that avoids the issue entirely. Still, I'll check pH just in case.
My gut feeling is that on the Forte/Tavola end of things, these kits would be balanced fine but adding 4 to 6 more gallons of water might screw the balance off. Idk?

I would imagine that most people with the desire to buy these bulk sized kits are not looking to maximize volume by diluting with water. I see catering to the seasoned winemaker looking to fill a barrel. I just struggle with the oversimplification that I see on the website description. Winemakers are detail oriented by nature and there seems to be enough gray in these kits that I'd sooner purchase three 6 gal kits even if they end up being the same thing.

Just received my new Chardonnay and Zinfandel -- plus 2 manuals ---- but nothing else was included - No yeast, starter, nutrients etc.

Which is a bit of a drag -- as I had planned to kick both off tomorrow morning :-/

Have reached out to @Matt_Pruszynski at Label Peelers.

Update: missing items shipped within hour or so of reaching out! Thanks Matt for being so responsive! ✌️

Last edited:
Just received my new Chardonnay and Zinfandel -- plus 2 manuals ---- but nothing else was included - No yeast, starter, nutrients etc.

Which is a bit of a drag -- as I had planned to kick both off tomorrow morning :-/

Have reached out to @Matt_Pruszynski at Label Peelers.

Update: missing items shipped within hour or so of reaching out! Thanks Matt for being so responsive! ✌️
I've had the same happen in the past on more than one occasion but they are very quick to make it right. I think they get swamped and things slip through the cracks.

I plan for the worse and don't set my timeline based on LP's performance. I plan on stuff sitting on the shelf or in the freezer until I'm ready to go. I currently have 4 FWK in such a state.

I've had the same happen in the past on more than one occasion but they are very quick to make it right. I think they get swamped and things slip through the cracks.

I plan for the worse and don't set my timeline based on LP's performance. I plan on stuff sitting on the shelf or in the freezer until I'm ready to go. I currently have 4 FWK in such a state.
I could do that but deer season starts on Saturday and the freezer space is reserved.

As far as the water to be added - Matt has said that the Forte kits contain more concentrate than the Tivoli, so with the winery series you are achieving the same result by varying the water. Tivoli kits are always a little thinner than the same Fortes. One could probably make a std Tivoli FWK kit at 5 gallons and have it equal a Forte.

Is there anyone on here still waiting for their pre-orders? I guess it takes a few weeks to get them all out. I’ve not heard anything yet on mine. Waiting for a couple Zinfandels.

Latest posts

Back