Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that a single skin pack really enhances the body & flavor. I have found a significant difference, same wine, between kits with no skin pack, 1 skin pack, and 2 skin packs. I find FWK completely drinkable at 7 - 8 months with 1 skin pack. 2 packs comes in at over a year. I won't bother anymore with no skin packs. YMMV

I have found that a single skin pack really enhances the body & flavor. I have found a significant difference, same wine, between kits with no skin pack, 1 skin pack, and 2 skin packs. I find FWK completely drinkable at 7 - 8 months with 1 skin pack. 2 packs comes in at over a year. I won't bother anymore with no skin packs. YMMV
Thanks for the feedback.

While I'm generally satisfied with the no-skins Barbera made, it could use a bit more oomph. An ideal experiment is to make 3 Tavola (0, 1, 2 skin packs), and a Forte. Bottle at the 6 month mark, than compare monthly.

Have produced several Finer Wine kits now, the biggest thing I have issues with is the packaging! Single use Polystyrene containers, no recycling.
I do not have an alternate suggestion, sadly.

Are these the 2022 harvest? Looks like the descriptions are reboot of last year. Super Tuscan still says they don’t have Sangiovese and references 2021 harvest.
I doubt they are 2022 harvest. They won't be picked until (earliest) the middle to end of August, depending on their ripeness, if they are California grapes.

Last night, Hubby and I did some taste testing of the FWK strawberry I made last fall with both sweetener packs. We both agree it is very good but it could be sweeter. We also both enjoy the version with added chocolate extract even better than the original!

I finally started my FWK Kiwi that’s been in the fridge for a month. I debated using the carbon but decided to go for it. I will be starting the FWK Strawberry I got at the same time as the kiwi, as soon as my other 7.9 gallon fermenter is empty, hopefully mid-week. (I started a 3 gallon RJS Cru Toasted Caramel dessert wine right before I went on vacation and it should be ready to rack to a carboy in the next few days.)

The kiwi concentrate was VERY thick. I had to rinse the bag with water twice to get it all out. Smells very fruity and delicious! Of course, with the carbon, it just looks black at the moment. The 2 kits came with different instruction books - one was for Frutta kits and the other instruction booklet was for Tavola white and rose’ kits. I got them mixed up so I’m not sure which instruction book was for which kit, but both kits came with carbon and only the Tavola white/rose’ instruction booklet had the details on how to use the carbon and bentonite.

One kit came with D47 and the other with KV-1116. Since I was very happy with the previous FWK strawberry kit, which used D47, I decided to stick with that and use the KV-1116 for the kiwi.

After our taste testing last night, and since I still have some strawberry bottles from last fall, I decided for the strawberry, after fermentation I will split it into 5 gallons with chocolate extract and 1 gallon without. And I plan to sweeten it a bit more, depending upon our taste testing when it comes time to backsweeten.

I just finished racking a FWK Chardonnay that I started a few weeks ago. It was stabilized and degassed a couple of weeks ago. The wine looks nice and clear, although it took longer than usual to clear after adding the clearing agents. I did not notice any odor when racking, but when rinsing out the carboy there was a powerful chemical odor much like acetone. It seems to be only in the sediment that still had quite a bit of carbon in it. I followed the kit instruction with no tweaks other than adding the kieselsol and chitosan a day apart rather than both at the same time. Has anyone else run into this odor. Any ideas?

It seems to be only in the sediment that still had quite a bit of carbon in it.
If you're not smelling it in the wine, that's great. I'd check the wine every few days, just to be sure. Draw a small sample, swirl it in the glass to release aroma, and sniff. Also taste -- no point in wasting.

If you're not smelling it in the wine, that's great. I'd check the wine every few days, just to be sure. Draw a small sample, swirl it in the glass to release aroma, and sniff. Also taste -- no point in wasting.
Oddly enough, I didn't notice the smell until I started rinsing out the sediment at the sink.. It was a well compacted 1/4" layer of lees, some carbon and a few pieces of oak chips. Once I disturbed it with some water, that's when it became noticeable.

I am making a Zinfandel blush. Am I correct that I can add the sweetening packet later (preferably after all of the carbon has dropped out and I have racked it off the ugly black lees), so that I can sweeten to taste? I may have done the math incorrectly, but I think the recommended amount of sweetener is 330 ml for a full kit's worth, which equates to about 1 1/3 cups. The included package is 500 ml, so I'd be using just over half. Does that sound right? Update: The package itself recommends 7 ml or 1 1/2 tsp per liter, which equates to 150 ml or roughly 2/3 cup, or about a third of a package. I know I'm supposed to sweeten "to taste," but I'm hoping for some guidance.

Last edited:
I know I'm supposed to sweeten "to taste," but I'm hoping for some guidance.
You can backsweeten any time after the wine is clear, and can do it in stages.

Math is a starting point. When anyone says, "backsweeten to taste", it's a literal statement. No one can reliably tell you how much sugar to add, as your liking is different from everyone else's.

Add sugar, stir well, and taste. Repeat until you are satisfied.

Wines meant to backsweetened are typically higher in acid, and require sugar to balance the acid. When tasting, consider how sharp the acid is on your tongue. More sugar will reduce that perception.

If you are unsure if the wine needs more? Let it rest a week or two, and taste again.

Don't worry about ruining the wine. Take your time, add sugar in small increments, and stir well.

EDIT: fixed typo in last paragraph.

Last edited:
Back