Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So different personalities conducted a debate: "It's not ready to drink." "Says who?" "It's your wine, drink it if you want!"

That is likely not different personalities, it's your Bean Sihde(s) whispering in your ear! Ancestral female spirits (not Demons) trying to talk sense to you but from your account it sounds like there was more than one and they were arguing!

@Matteo_Lahm i received my BOGO kits today, 2 Syrah kits. I saw the notice about alternate juice bags being used due to supply chain issues. One of the juice bag caps had loosened in transit and allowed a small amount of juice to leak. I do not believe it was enough to affect the outcome of the kit, maybe 4 but certainly not more than 8 oz I’d estimate. I sent LabelPeelers an email detailing this along with pictures and a suggestion to wrap these alternate bag caps with a couple turns of 3M black electrical tape. Thought I’d bring it to your attention too, had this box spent much time sideways or upside down during transit the leak would likely have been much worse.000BE47A-1B88-451C-B3F5-7FA57088CD2D.jpeg319AD401-A322-42F0-A4D2-02EB7E5F2168.jpeg

@Matteo_Lahm i received my BOGO kits today, 2 Syrah kits. I saw the notice about alternate juice bags being used due to supply chain issues. One of the juice bag caps had loosened in transit and allowed a small amount of juice to leak. I do not believe it was enough to affect the outcome of the kit, maybe 4 but certainly not more than 8 oz I’d estimate. I sent LabelPeelers an email detailing this along with pictures and a suggestion to wrap these alternate bag caps with a couple turns of 3M black electrical tape. Thought I’d bring it to your attention too, had this box spent much time sideways or upside down during transit the leak would likely have been much worse.View attachment 89338View attachment 89339
My uneducated guess is that the cap was not on very tight when it left Labelpeelers. Lots of liquids are shipped with standard screw caps and if tightened sufficiently do not leak. The FWK I have received with the screw caps were certainly on good and tight.

My uneducated guess is that the cap was not on very tight when it left Labelpeelers. Lots of liquids are shipped with standard screw caps and if tightened sufficiently do not leak. The FWK I have received with the screw caps were certainly on good and tight.
I agree, my tape suggestion is along the line of “a stitch in time…”. These two are my 25th and 26th FWK, and while I didn’t keep count I’d say about a third of them have been in these alternate bags and the first that has leaked.

@Matteo_Lahm i received my BOGO kits today, 2 Syrah kits. I saw the notice about alternate juice bags being used due to supply chain issues. One of the juice bag caps had loosened in transit and allowed a small amount of juice to leak. I do not believe it was enough to affect the outcome of the kit, maybe 4 but certainly not more than 8 oz I’d estimate. I sent LabelPeelers an email detailing this along with pictures and a suggestion to wrap these alternate bag caps with a couple turns of 3M black electrical tape. Thought I’d bring it to your attention too, had this box spent much time sideways or upside down during transit the leak would likely have been much worse.View attachment 89338View attachment 89339

That’s not good. Contact Label Peelers. We will replace the kit.
Matteo

@Matteo_Lahm i received my BOGO kits today, 2 Syrah kits. I saw the notice about alternate juice bags being used due to supply chain issues. One of the juice bag caps had loosened in transit and allowed a small amount of juice to leak. I do not believe it was enough to affect the outcome of the kit, maybe 4 but certainly not more than 8 oz I’d estimate. I sent LabelPeelers an email detailing this along with pictures and a suggestion to wrap these alternate bag caps with a couple turns of 3M black electrical tape. Thought I’d bring it to your attention too, had this box spent much time sideways or upside down during transit the leak would likely have been much worseView attachment 89339

I had the same leaky cap issue,. The cap was wedged up against the styrofoam and the cap left a pretty big imprint on the styrofoam box. I think that's what caused it to loosen. LabelPeelers said they would replace it, but since not much leaked, I agreed to proceed.to fermentation. I like the fact that they returned my call and offered to replace it.

That’s not good. Contact Label Peelers. We will replace the kit.
Matteo
Thank you Matteo. Matt quickly contacted me yesterday and has offered to replace it. I don’t think enough leaked to affect the kit very much. I jumped on the BOGO offer because I couldn’t pass on that offer but haven’t reconstituted the kits yet due to having some juice bucket/fresh grape batches going now.
I kind of regret posting the pics now because it looks worse than I (at this time) think it is. The kits are resting in my spare fridge and freezer and I should get them going in the next week.

I don't understand anyone saying that a leaking kit is no big deal. It is a big deal. In a store, I bet none of us would pick up a leaking wine kit or a bottle of anything that was leaking. But from the reviews of different products I see online, an awful lot of people are willing to accept damaged products they receive - a dent, a scratch, a chip, a missing piece, etc. I guess it's just another sign of how we accept mediocrity these days.

If this is such a deal breaker for you, vote with your dollars and buy different wine kits.
I did not say there was anything I disliked about the FWK. Nor did I imply that a leaking wine kit was a deal breaker for me. My issue is with people who accept mediocracy when they are paying for a much higher standard of quality.

My issue is with people who accept mediocracy when they are paying for a much higher standard of quality.
Your comparison was to not purchasing a similarly damaged item in a store. False equivalence. There is no cost, trouble, or added delay in passing over a minorly damaged item in a store, and instead picking up one in perfect condition. Having to ship a delivered product back and wait for a replacement is a PITA. If the damage is trivial, the rational thing to do is accept it as "stuff happens" and get on with making the wine.

Your comparison was to not purchasing a similarly damaged item in a store. False equivalence. There is no cost, trouble, or added delay in passing over a minorly damaged item in a store, and instead picking up one in perfect condition. Having to ship a delivered product back and wait for a replacement is a PITA. If the damage is trivial, the rational thing to do is accept it as "stuff happens" and get on with making the wine.
If paying for something and accepting something less is your thing, then go for it. I don't do that.

Latest posts

Back