Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see anything I would do differently myself. If you do go with another housing I advise you to get 1 with a vacuum release like these have, it makes taking off the housing much easier and less messy. Vacuumpumpman had a brilliant idea where he threaded tye inside of the top housing and ran a pce of pvc all the way to the bottom of his housing!

Thanks guys, the order is placed, credit card charged and I'm on the way to Ace Hardware (one of my favorite places, plus free popcorn) to get the fittings.:db

Tony, it's all I've ever used and it works great. After I'm finished filtering, I fill a bucket part way up with warm water, insert my racking cane and pump some fresh water through the filter. I then store the filter in a PVC cylinder filled with K-meta solution. A couple of days before I do my next filtering, I take the filter out and let it drain off the excess K-meta.

Wade, looked at the sites you recommended for a filter. Couple of questions:
I usually make either a 3 gallon or 5 gallon batch at a time, it may be a month between each batch, is the filter good for only one time or can you back wash the filter and use it until you can't get it cleared?

Thanks

Semper Fi

I got my whole house filter at home depot a couple years ago. I filter first with a 5 micron filter and before bottling I use a 1 micron filter. I use the cheap string filters and toss after use. I froze a used filter one time but had bad feelings about reusing it so I never did it again. I only do about 40 gallons a year, and have been very happy with my pump and filter. Never lift a full carboy again.

Wade, looked at the sites you recommended for a filter. Couple of questions:
I usually make either a 3 gallon or 5 gallon batch at a time, it may be a month between each batch, is the filter good for only one time or can you back wash the filter and use it until you can't get it cleared?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Bud, your wine should be clear before you filter it. You shouldn't have to filter it more than once. Filtering just polishes the finished wine. Good Luck!

Tony, it's all I've ever used and it works great. After I'm finished filtering, I fill a bucket part way up with warm water, insert my racking cane and pump some fresh water through the filter. I then store the filter in a PVC cylinder filled with K-meta solution. A couple of days before I do my next filtering, I take the filter out and let it drain off the excess K-meta.

At $10 for the housing, why not buy 2 and store the 1 micron in one and the 5 micron in the other with solution. Were you able to make the pvc container for less? Just an idea.

If you gave a pressure realeade button on the housing I wouldnt store meta in here as it will corrode the screw in the top!

ordered my filter and will pick up my attachments at ACE tomorrow. Question...as stupid a question as it may be....After filtering a gallon of K-Meta thru the filter i am guessing there will be residual liquid in the housing. do i empty that before sending the wine thru or just leave it in there?

Just dump any meta left out. When you start filtering dump your first 2-3 bottles back into the carboy to blend back in as they'll have a higher concentrate of meta. after this you'll be fine.

Just dump any meta left out. When you start filtering dump your first 2-3 bottles back into the carboy to blend back in as they'll have a higher concentrate of meta. after this you'll be fine.

That's a great idea, never thought of that!

Could do that for batch changes of red, with the same filter as well. Might be better than putting the first bottle aside for immediate consumption. Then again, maybe not....

Kev

Last edited:
went and bought my adapters for the filter from ACE. lot bigger than what i expected they would be. filter should be here by Friday. Plan on bottling this weekend

In the next 30 days I will be bottling three batches of wine, yes I'm increasing the Tortorice inventory by 90 bottles. Is there any problem filtering all three batches at the same time back into carboys and then bottling at my convenience or is there some big advantage to bottling and filtering at the same time?

In the next 30 days I will be bottling three batches of wine, yes I'm increasing the Tortorice inventory by 90 bottles. Is there any problem filtering all three batches at the same time back into carboys and then bottling at my convenience or is there some big advantage to bottling and filtering at the same time?

Dang right there's a huge advantage to filtering and bottling at the same time. It's a one step process for setting up and cleaning. AH....or are you not able to filter and bottle at the same time? If you have a seperate filter like the Buon Vino then go ahead and filter your three batches ahead of time. Start with the lightest and finish with the darkest and you won't have to change your filter pads.

called a local resteraunt/bar and they are gonna save their empty wine bottles for me and i get em free. hopefully i have bought my last bottle

Latest posts

Back