Filtering wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawson

Junior
Reaction score
Purchased the 23 cup zero water filter system and just ran 5 gallon of apple wine threw it. Seems to have worked good but the wine was already clear. Any one ever done this?

I just googled it - and it appears that it uses carbon filter which will strip alot of flavor from wine and is not recommended for wine making.

Please let me know if I looked up the correct filter

I just googled it - and it appears that it uses carbon filter which will strip alot of flavor from wine and is not recommended for wine making.

Please let me know if I looked up the correct filter

The filter is a 5 part filter that does contain charcoal. I will know soon

I would hold back on filtering more wines until you get a good taste of the wine you just filtered. We tried a filter once on ours and was surprised on how much body and flavor it took away from the wine. Returned the filter the next day.

Our thoughts were we would rather wait a couple more months for the wine to naturally clear while racking and keep all that awesome flavor we worked so hard for than filter and lose it.

Last edited:
That was a very bad idea. This is a filter for water, not wine. Sorry to tell you this but you just ruined 5 gallons of wine.

Purchased the 23 cup zero water filter system and just ran 5 gallon of apple wine threw it. Seems to have worked good but the wine was already clear. Any one ever done this?

You might be able to add some apple concentrate to bring back some flavor and color.

That was a very bad idea. This is a filter for water, not wine. Sorry to tell you this but you just ruined 5 gallons of wine.

I had one gallon of the same batch of wine that hadn't been through the filter. Done a side by side taste comparison, could not tell any difference. Probably because it was apple. Don't think I will run my muscadine, blackberry and blueberry through it though.

Our thoughts were we would rather wait a couple more months for the wine to naturally clear while racking and keep all that awesome flavor we worked so hard for than filter and lose it.

Filtering wine does not speed up the clearing process. Filtering should be used to polish an already clear wine.

Thats sorta funny as some guys who work for Filters Fast tried a little experiment to see what would happen if you poured a bottle of red wine into a Zero Water Pitcher just as you did and the results were they turned wine basically into water.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JsLRG5eI90&feature=youtu.be"]Filters Fast[/ame] It had stripped not only some of the color out, it had also removed all of the flavor. It tasted like colored water. The wine overloaded the TDS meter before running it through the filter i.e. >999ppm TDS and after running the wine through the filter the wine red ~80ppm TDS on the meter showing just how much was stripped out through the 5 stage filter.

I had one gallon of the same batch of wine that hadn't been through the filter. Done a side by side taste comparison, could not tell any difference. Probably because it was apple. Don't think I will run my muscadine, blackberry and blueberry through it though.

Last edited:
Thats sorta funny as some guys who work for Filters Fast tried a little experiment to see what would happen if you poured a bottle of red wine into a Zero Water Pitcher just as you did and the results were they turned wine basically into water.

Filters Fast It had stripped not only some of the color out, it had also removed all of the flavor. It tasted like colored water. The wine overloaded the TDS meter before running it through the filter i.e. >999ppm TDS and after running the wine through the filter the wine red ~80ppm TDS on the meter showing just how much was stripped out through the 5 stage filter.

I don't believe this. Couldn't have tasted like water. The filter could not remove the alcohol. I could not taste any difference between the filtered and the non filtered. This video was probably made by a wine filtering manufacture. I have never filtered wine before, guess I will go back to not filtering.

Latest posts

Back