Filtering Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never lost siphon but I do use fuel injection hose clamps sold at any auto parts store. These are hose clamps that are much better than the standard hose clamps as they apply a much mre even pressure and dont have those little grooves in them that eat up hoses. They area much better quality and made to stand up to greater pressures and they only cost a few cents more, like $.49 each but never had a leak with out them, I just want to keep it that way. The cleaner the room the less chance of fruit flies and less work also.

Sorry to be raising this topic so long after it was discussed, but I am not clear on filtering in general, and degassing specifically. Somewhere I got the notion that using the Buon Vino Super Jet obviates the need to degas with either the stirrer of the brake bleeder. But it seems that the degassing should be completed long before filtering.

Also, for those of you who filter, which filter do you use? I'm thinking of using #2 for the reds and the polishing filter for the whites?? That's jsut a guess. Can anyone help me understand the different filters and their appropriate use?

Thanks, again, as always.

Cheers!

You should have the wine degassed and cleared before filtering. Filtering is used just to rid the wine of very fine particles left behind that fining just didnt get rid of. To clear a wine the wine should be thoroughly degassed to properly clear. I use the Vinbrite gravity filter and it works great for just a little money. The filters you are talking about sound perfect for your situation.

wade said:
You should have the wine degassed and cleared before filtering. Filtering is used just to rid the wine of very fine particles left behind that fining just didnt get rid of. To clear a wine the wine should be thoroughly degassed to properly clear. I use the Vinbrite gravity filter and it works great for just a little money. The filters you are talking about sound perfect for your situation.

Wade -

Two questions (OK, three) -

1) How fast does the wine flow through this filter? (do you use it at bottling?)

2) Does George sell this? I don't see any pictures in the catalog that look like yours.

Thanks - Jim

I do it 1 rack before bottling and 6 gallons takes about 40 minutes to run through it. They really dont show a picture of it and thats why its hard to find but here it is for you.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5292 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Vinbrite Filter

Comes with 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (see item #5294)</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$39.99</td></tr></t></table>

I have the vinbrite filter and it works very well. Cheap and efficient, what else can you ask for?

Scuba

Latest posts

Back