filtering question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I have been thinking about purchasing a filtering unit and have a question . if I sterile filter a wine can I then sweeten it to taste without having to add sorbate or will I still have to add it.

Sterile filtering units are pretty expensive and generally require pre-filtering. You also need to add adequate K-Meta to help prevent refermentation. Not generally recommended for the home winemaker.

The Enolmatic can do this with a pre filter in line also. What Im wondering is why would you want to back sweeten as I believe the whole purpose of using this set up is to stop the fermentation at the sweetness you want without having to add anything else sweet. Once filtered you would really not want to introduce anything that can cloud up your wine again.

Like Appleman said, you must buy expensive filtering units to actually sterile filter wine. While the minijet and superjet have filters called "sterile," they cannot remove all yeast that might referment with resweetening or other beasties that might foul the wine. Why do you not want to use potassium sorbate? This ingrediant not only impedes refermentation, but also protects against bacterial infections. Edited by: dfwwino

Thanks to all for the info . I don't have a problem using potassium sorbate. I was just looking at options . I am new to wine making and the question has been running around in my head for awhile. I thought that if some of the cheap filter units would sterile filter that it would just be another way to help protect my wines from refermenting . I read that it is easier to take a wine dry and then sweeten to taste than to try and stop it where you want it . most of the wines I will make will be semi-dry to semi-sweet. My wife likes her wine more on the sweet side .

Latest posts

Back