Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucson

Reaction score
I was given a plate filter with vinamat pads both fine and sterile. I assume I will have to use a vacumn pump to utilize the filter or will it gravity thru them.

Last edited:
I believe those are designed for a positive pressure rather than a vacuum to be used properly. Plate filters are designed to leak a bit and if you put a vacuum on it it will suck air thru the filter. I have known some people do do it and have success at it as well though.

They are often used with a small aquarium pump - around $20 in my area. If your plate filter has the rubber gaskets it won't leak and can be used with a vacuum pump if you prefer; if no gaskets it will probably leak some and is best used with the aquarium pump. They are not designed for gravity flow.

I just tried my vinamat with my vacuum pump it sure sucks a lot of air in on the vacuum side bubbles all through the water in this case and I can hear the filter sucking in air. does any one know how to stop this?

I just tried my vinamat with my vacuum pump it sure sucks a lot of air in on the vacuum side bubbles all through the water in this case and I can hear the filter sucking in air. does any one know how to stop this?

it is not designed to be used with vacuum - look at my prior posts about this

it is not designed to be used with vacuum - look at my prior posts about this

Yes it was your prior post that inspired me to post in this thread as you had said
" I have known some people d do it and have success at it as well though."
I was just wondering if you or anybody else knows a "fix" to make this type of filter work under vacuum. I could see applying any type of sealant around the outside of ring could affect the wine. It is simply a rig I was given with a few extra filters that I was trying to adapt to my vacuum system. But the inner ring being made of hard plastic sitting on top of two paper filters seems like a set up that wont seal . I have tried it both ways. Drawing the wine from centre ring as well as drawing from the two outside plates. Both ways induce a lot of air on the vacuum side

Some of these plate filters are designed to work with gaskets. If your center ring has a groove on both sides around the outer edge it will likely accommodate O-ring gaskets which will make it tight enough for either a push pump or a vacuum pump. These gaskets seal to the outer plates when the bolts are tightened. Most wine stores who sell the filters can get replacement gaskets if, in fact, your unit is designed for them. Older filters didn't necessarily have the gaskets.

Well from my experience - The pads that are used are usually designed for pressure and thats why they typically leak in general. Well because vacuum is applied it is actually working just the opposite -Air can be sucked in from the outside of the filters because it is soo porous,causing air to be introduced into your wine. I believe that goes for any type of plate filter - square or round

That surprises me, Steve. I know you've done a lot of research with these pumps so have you experienced leaking with the round plate filters that have the O-ring gaskets? I've been using mine with a vacuum pump for a couple of years now and it does not leak at all. One of our wine supply stores sells the vacuum pump kits that include these round plate filters and to my knowledge they have not experienced any problems either. Many of these older units did not incorporate a gasket and leaked like sieves but the newer O-ring gaskets seem to provide a good seal under both positive and negative pressure from my experience.

That surprises me, Steve. I know you've done a lot of research with these pumps so have you experienced leaking with the round plate filters that have the O-ring gaskets? I've been using mine with a vacuum pump for a couple of years now and it does not leak at all. One of our wine supply stores sells the vacuum pump kits that include these round plate filters and to my knowledge they have not experienced any problems either. Many of these older units did not incorporate a gasket and leaked like sieves but the newer O-ring gaskets seem to provide a good seal under both positive and negative pressure from my experience.

Please continue this conversation. Could you include pictures? Thanks in advance.

If you could give a part # so I can see what you are referring to - that would help alot

I pictured it like a plate filter that the edges of the pads are exposed

Sorry but I can't post pictures right now since I'm still in the US; should be home sometime tomorrow so I'll try to get something then.

No, not a vinbrite. These are double plate filters that take two filter pads. My particular one is called a Euro Filter but they also go under other names such as Cellar Magic, etc. The pads are totally enclosed within the unit. I'd post a link but don't know how to do that on my ipad! :(

No, not a vinbrite. These are double plate filters that take two filter pads. My particular one is called a Euro Filter but they also go under other names such as Cellar Magic, etc. The pads are totally enclosed within the unit. I'd post a link but don't know how to do that on my ipad! :(

is this the type you are referring to ??

http://www.clickabrew.com/shopexd.asp?id=620

Yes, that's the one. The white center ring has an O-ring gasket on each side that seals to the red outer plates, enclosing the two filter pads.
I believe the original poster had a plate filter similar to this, but perhaps without the gaskets.

Back