WineXpert Fermenting Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
I'm making my 1st batch of wine (Vintner's Reserve - Merlot).

I live in Florida, so even with the Air Conditioning on, the internal temp in my house is around 79-80 degrees F. As a result, my batch of wine has had a temp of around 80 while in the primary fermenter. I checked the SG after 4 days in the primary. I figured it may be moving fast due to the temp being a little higher than desired. The SG was already between 1.000 and 1.010, so I decided to rack into the Carboy. (Instructions say to do this between days 5 and 7 when the SG reads below 1.010).

Will fermenting my wine at 80 degrees cause me any problems with taste? Everything I've read says to ideally keep it between 65 and 75 degrees. I'm worried I may be ruining my batch.

Any feedback, or anyone in a similar situation? I'm curious how someone else's batch has come out in a warmer climate, such as Florida.

Thanks,

You are correct that the idea temperature for fermentation of kit wines is 65-75 degrees but you should be ok at 80 but would not want to go any higher than that.

You did goodtocheck the SG early and transfer to a carboy.
smiley32.gif

You may want to try putting your carboy in a tub with a few inches of water in it and rap the carboy with a damp towel. The towel will wick water from the tubkeeping it wet. Evaporation will cool your carboy as much as 10 degrees. You can get smaller tubs from Walmart or any department store like it.

Pete

Maybe I'll try the towel idea. Thanks for the replies.

Another newbie question: Since racking into the carboy a few days ago the sediment has built up to about 3/4" - 1" at the bottom. How much sediment should I expect to see before fermentation comes to end?

When Iracked into the secondary, there was not a lot of sediment at the bottom of the primary. I think I may have siphoned some of it (the sedimentinto the secondary. I was using an auto-siphon and may have had it too close to the bottom when racking.

You should not see much more sediment build up in the bottom of the carboy than what you have now. Using a auto-siphon with the attached sediment tip works fine and since it is a Vintner Reserve kit and no oak there most likely wasn't a large amount of lees to begin with.

Even thoughyour fermentationis proceeding quicker than normal due to the higher temps,follow the instructions and wait the full 10 days before you check the SG andmove on to degassing and stabilizing.

I would certainly recommend trying the towel idea as Pete suggested especially when you do the primary fermentation. I have done a bit more research on this andhere is a quote from Tim V. of Winexpert

"80F is pushing it, because you can get secondary effects from the yeast. As yeast metabolism speeds up they can produce some weird esters and aldehydes that are not completely reduced in subsequent ageing and other activities.

If the temperature spikes during very vigorous metabolism, it can be much worse, as the yeast generate their own heat, and like positive feedback this can spin out of control, running your must up above the 100 degree range.

For almost all kits the ideal temperature is about 72F. What is most crucial is the temperature of the must at pitching. If it's too cold, you risk very slow fermentations and the possibility of a stuck ferment".

I will definitely wait the 10 days, and I'll be utilizing the tub/towel remedy to hopefully keep the temp down a bit.

This is a great forum for those of us new to winemaking. I'm sure I'll have more questions to come. I appreciate the quick responses.

Thanks Again,

You are quite welcome John....we all have been newbies and know what it is like to have lots of questions!

John aka Winenewbie

You've come to the right place for information and advice. Masta is the best and I highly recommend you head his advice. One common theme on this site is "patience." I've learned that you can't ruin a kit by waiting a few extra days between steps, but you sure can ruin one by cutting the time line short.

You're doing a great job asking questions about the kits. Just remember the price of the site is sending a bottle to everyone that responds to your post. MMMMM...can't wait.

Earl

John,

The evaporative cooling method works. I was stationed in New Mexico for 10 years and all we had to live with was evaporative cooling (swamp coolers)and you could generally see a 10-15 deg drop in temp. Good luck with the Merlot!

earl said:
John aka Winenewbie

Just remember the price of the site is sending a bottle to everyone that responds to your post.

John:

Welcome to the forum, the best forum.

Does that responce satisfy the requirements of a free bottle?
smiley36.gif

OK, I'll be more serious.......

John: It's great to have those new to winemaking ask questions, it gives those of us with minimal experience an opportunityto learn something as well. I like the towel Idea and will use that if ever in a power outage situations. Again, Welcome.

Thanks for all the "welcome's". I'll be sure to send you all a bottle...lol.

I've tried another forum or two prior and this one is, by far, the best. Also convinces me to make my future purchases from George.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: WineNewbie

George is the greatest! I wish my life wasn't so "Last minute" with everything I do, so that I could plan ahead and order more from him than what I do now. But I have a cousin Im getting into this and I told hime I would help get him set up, so I'll place that order with George and have it sent to my cousin's house, along with Georges 800 number so he can just call George and place his future orders.

You can't mail wine but you sure can ship it via UPS. Just don't try taking it on a plane these days. I'm afraid that by the time of the next Winestock we'll all have to fly naked.
smiley9.gif
Only models and men who wear Speedos to the beach will fly!
smiley11.gif

Note to self: Hydrometer's are very fragile!
smiley18.gif
Sanitizing last night and slipped out of my hand into the sink...I was online minutes later ordering a replacement from George. Looks like I'll be delayed a few days in testing the SG before stabalizing.

Frustrating! But atleast it forces me to be patient.

About 6 months ago, I took the stopper out of both ends of the tube the hydrometer goes in. Then after cleaning and sanitizing it, I deftly slipped the hydrometer back into its tube and straight onto the floor. That cost me another order to George. It happens to us all at some time or other.

After breaking one about eight months ago, I ordered two and bought three locally to be sure I would't be without being rather clumsy at times(has nothing to do with the 3 or 4 bottles of wine-ha ha). I haven't broken one again yet! Sure fire way to prevent breaking, buy a few spares.
smiley24.gif

After I finally bought my wine thief I left the hydrometer in the wine
thisf after pooring in The K-Meta solution to clean it and wave it to
whip dry the solution out. I forgot the hydrometer was in there and I
shot it across my basement and it shattered into a thousand pcs. What a
dope! Now I have three just in case I do something stupid like that
again.

Edited by: wadewade

LOL....it is all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out by a flying hydrometer!!

I was doing the shake dry thing with an auto siphon and snapped the center racking tube off at the curve
smiley7.gif

Latest posts

Back