Fermentation Has Not Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
Started a 6 gallon batch of Niagara and a little over 24 hours ago I pitched the yeast. EC-1118 yeast (no starter just rehydrated 15 minutes prior), 68 degrees F, so far nothing has happened. No yeast caked to the top, in fact, it all seems to be at the bottom of the carboy. I have a napkin and rubberband covering the top. How long should I wait before pitching another pack of yeast? And if it doesn't start on its own should I plan on making a starter?

Greg,
While a starter would help don't be so sure that fermentation isn't underway. 24 hours is too soon to tell.

More info will help us help you.

Do you have your gravity readings from when you started?

At that temperature which is great to ferment will take time until you see signs of fermentation. A hydrometer will undoubtable be the only true sign of fermentation.

Look carefully for tiny bubbles or perhaps the must is moving slowly.

Did you add yeast nutrient? Pectic enzyme?

Be patient.

As the others said I would definitely wait another day or 2 and see if anything happens. I had to wait 2 days before my blueberry/pom started to go, if anything add a little yeast energizer, give a stir and i think you'll be fine. remember this isn't an instant gratification kinda thing it does take time, but it worth the wait

You might try warming it up to ~72 if you can with a brew belt or heating pad. Just watch the temps and keep it in the 72-74 range and you should see life pretty quick. After it gets going good it will make its own heat for a good 3-5 days and then start to cool down as it ferments to dry. At this point you need to watch the temps again and add some heat if needed to keep it in 70-74 range.

Back