RJ Spagnols exploding winery series box...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat84

Reaction score
Surprise in my wine room...local store gave me another kit since this very bad smelling Super Tuscan kitleaked all over. Bigger issue was pickingthis fragile greased pigup and getting it into the bathtub before itsprung a bigger leak.Had leaked for a few days and the bad smell was too unsafeso just dumped it down the drain. Still a couplehours of clean-up time and that sticky smelly goop covered mehead-to toe before i was done. EDIT: kit was made in Nov 2011. The bags are amazingly strong since it never did burst even though it was extremely stretched. RJ Spagnols had the local retailer contact me although I was hoping the little guy did not have to deal with this. We had to go grab the box out of the garbage, put it in a green garbage bag, and take it to the store as evidence even though i had a bunch of pictures. Would have been a better experience if RJ would have sent me a few free kit coupons or something instead of having the local store take up their time plus have me again drive 35 minutes each way.

72FroomTempRJSexplodingBagSuperTuscanWinerySeries.jpg

Fiat,
You are supposed to pitch the yeast after you pour it in the bucket :):):):)
Kidding,
That sucks....

I have this exact kit in carboy now and have made it before. It is 1 of the best wine kits out there period!!!!!

Wade said:
I have this exact kit in carboy now and have made it before. It is 1 of the best wine kits out there period!!!!!

Wade,My wife and I are making this right now. Did you follow the instructions exactly and when did you open your first bottle and enjoy?
Thanks,

Exactly except I bulk aged it for 6 months and bottle aged for another 6. It was great then and just awesome at 18 months!!!!!!

Unless that is a very old kit, where there is one, there's going to be more. Probably the whole batch went got exposed to some wild yeast. Bummer!

Back