RJ Spagnols Winery Series Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
On Sunday, I mixed up a double batch (or 12 gallons) of RJS Winery Stores Amarone. This is my first time making the RJS version of this great wine. I expected the grape skins, but was very surprised to also find raisins. I bagged everything together in a big fruit bag. Added some extra tannins. I want super impressed by the sg that day, only 1.094. I decided not to add any extra sugar, but let it sit overnight.

The sg on Monday morning had risen to 1.114. Now we are talking. I pitched the Ec-1118 that came with the kits. I didn't swap it out, since the sg had climbed so much. This is what it looked like today, when I stirred. I am loving the smell and look of it.

1492522027069.jpg

I just bottled a batch of this two weeks ago. Subbed in BM4X4 and gave it some tannin in secondary and barrel time. I put the skins in primary and grapes in secondary. It is only about 14 months old, but I'm wishing I'd done a double batch. Won't be touching it for a while still, but I like what I have so far.

No this isn't the Classico, I went with the other one. I tried to figure out the difference between the two and gave up and went with the slightly less expensive one. Actually they may have been out of the Classico at the time, now that I think back. And I had to struggle a little bit to get SWMBO to agree that we should make two of them at once. Luckily we had tasted one of these just a few days before at a friends house party and she loves drier, than dry red wines.

And I certainly don't see this being consumed much before three years from now. Well, I'll probably note the last few bottles when we get around to bottling, those will be consumed at 6, 12, and 18 months.

Last edited:
CMASON...I have taken to bottling 6-8 375 ml bottles as testers....something I learned here. Test a small bottle and let the big bottles keep sitting.

Can't say how well that is gonna work as we have not opened a tester yet. But, we both like the size bottle...perfect for a couple of glasses to drink or "test". Looking for another sale on 375 bottles!

Just so I'm clear: are you talking about the RJ Spagnols Winery Series Italian Amarone (now known as the En Primeur Winery Series)? The one I referenced is the Winery Series (prior to the combining of the two lines).

The title of the one I am making is called RJ Spagnols En Primeur Winery Series Italian Amarone Winemaking Kit. There is a slightly different one with Classico in the name as well, just to confuse things. I can't really tell the difference between, except any $10/kit .

To those who suggest 375 ml bottles, I might do that, if I were only making 6 gallons, but since I am making 12 gallons, I probably won't.

The title of the one I am making is called RJ Spagnols En Primeur Winery Series Italian Amarone Winemaking Kit. There is a slightly different one with Classico in the name as well, just to confuse things. I can't really tell the difference between, except any $10/kit .

To those who suggest 375 ml bottles, I might do that, if I were only making 6 gallons, but since I am making 12 gallons, I probably won't.

Gotcha, thanks. So you are making the 'new and improved' winery series kit. ;)

From what I've read, the Classico uses the dried skins, while the WS uses a skin pack and raisins. Someone who has actually done both can verify that. But, that's the major difference between them.

you are correct, the wet skins is the same as the old winery series and the classico is the same as to old en premiur with dried skins

cheers

Latest posts

Back