Excited ordered my equipment and starting a gallon of wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnate

Junior
Reaction score
Well just ordered then beginners equipment package with the Peach Chardonnay wine, wanted something the wife would like. Can't wait to get it. But in the mean time I went to the local brew store and bought some stuff to make a gallon of Apple cider wine so I'm going to try to get that started this morning. One question I didn't by any tannins, can I just use raisins and if so how many? Oh and I didn't buy a hydrometer oops. I should still be able to start it shouldn't I? Well any tips would be great.

I hate to tell you this but the first tip is go back and get a hydrometer. You should have it to start with, so you know how much sugar to add and to guage the progress of your fermentation. I have not done any one gallon batches but I think 1/3-1/2 of a box of raisens would be ok.

Yes get or borrow a hydrometer. This is one essential tool you need.

You can always add tannin later if you feel you need it. Go sparingly. Raisins would help, maybe 1/4 cup for a gallon or 1/2 cup. They will raise your sugar. Your hydrometer will tell you that.

You may want to add some cinnamon sticks during the aging period.

rasins

What fruit should you add rasins and do they add any flavor to the wine?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Yeah - I would not start this until you get a hydrometer..

Like Steve said - add tannins sparingly - you can add later as needed.

It is much easier to add small portions to desired result - than to add a bunch and remove the tannins.

What fruit should you add rasins and do they add any flavor to the wine?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Raisins are added to your primary to add body to thin wines such as those from Chile or if you are shy pound wise of fruit you can add some. Raisins will also add sugar and tannins so you need to consider this in your recipe.

Some people add raisins to all their wines, I don't. I believe a cup per 6 gallon primary is fine. More and you will change the flavor.

Is there a proven recipe for using apple cider

Hey I was wondering if there is a proven recipe where I wouldn't need a hydrometer. I'm using apple cider to make it I have all the chemicals?

Every cider or juice will have different SG so you REALLY need a hydrometer. I've made good batches without them, but I wouldn't recommend it. And when you do go get one get 2 or 3 in case they break, you'll never want to be without one! :)

Hey I was wondering if there is a proven recipe where I wouldn't need a hydrometer. I'm using apple cider to make it I have all the chemicals?

Unfortunately there is no tried and true recipe. Recipes are only guidelines not hard facts. Fruit will vary in sugar, weather and when fruit are picked will define sugar levels in fruit. So there is no way for you to know how much sugar to add. A hydrometer will give you the information you need to know how much sugar to add. Without a hydrometer you are working in the dark and depend on luck. The cost is not that much, get one before you start, this is the best advice anyone will give you as by the previous post, they all pretty much said the same thing.

No because of too many factors. Just get a hydrometer, they are cheap and will tell you whats going on with your wine and when its done fermenting.

Just get a hydrometer, they are cheap and will tell you whats going on with your wine and when its done fermenting.

And the tip 'leave the hydrometer in the primary fermenter' during the entire ferment is Genius. No fussing and less opportunities for contamination.

Many Thanks to the person on this board that suggested this.

Last edited:
Well I got a hydrometer

O.k I got a hydrometer, what should the starting reading be, I've looked on here and I've seen anywhere form 1.040-1.085. Any info would be great, is there any reason in particular to let it stand out 24 hours before adding the yeast just curious all the recipes seem to call for this. Any other tips would be great. I do have to say this is teaching me patience. I using apple cider to make apple wine.

O.k I got a hydrometer, what should the starting reading be, I've looked on here and I've seen anywhere form 1.040-1.085. Any info would be great, is there any reason in particular to let it stand out 24 hours before adding the yeast just curious all the recipes seem to call for this. Any other tips would be great. I do have to say this is teaching me patience. I using apple cider to make apple wine.

If you added sulphite to kill the wild yeast you want to wait 24 hours before adding more yeast.

BEFORE you do anything sanitize the hydrometer, tube and wine thief.

Geez

So I am starting to feel a little worried. My grandparents made homemade wine for years until my grandfather died. So I got all the equipment and have just started my first batch of wine about a week ago. I did not use any testing equip, I just followed the recipe that grandma gave me.....now that I have read this I think my first batch may turn out aweful since I didn't use any of the chemicals/testers that I have seen mentioned here.

ASpan98274-
DONT BE WORRIED! I felt the same way! I have friends who buy juice, throw in some sugar, wait a few months, and bottle. And it's great. But my great, and professional great is a whole different thing. A lot of people on here are professionals with many years experience who make very fine top grade wines. People like your grandparents made great wine too but without all the chemicals and tools and etc. It's just a matter on what you want to do. Do you want your wine clear, do you want to age it, filter it, I could go on.

SUBNATE
Don't be worried! Here is a link to a recipe that doesn't need a hydrometer and it's on this website. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5608 I followed the recipe and so far it is good. The only thing I did different is I'm waiting a little longer to bottle. At first, you will taste it and think YUCK but after a while it turns really good!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back