Every wine makers worst nightmare

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celladwella

Reaction score
Was racking my super Tuscan tonight, after I was finished decided I should move the full
Carboys and then it happened. Only out 5 gallons but still sucks. IMG_0792.jpgIMG_0794.jpgIMG_0795.jpg

Doh, a hole just in the top there? Never seen one break like that, usually a crack runs and the whole thing shatters.
I wonder if it would be safe to rack and filter at 0.45 micron, to get and glass bits out.

I always suggest not putting carboys directly on concrete as it is very porus with sharp pieces.

I recommend highly using carboys in milk crates or vinyl, carpet and or padding and handles always help - make sure that all carboys are completely dry prior to moving them

In am truly sorry for your loss !

learn from this and move forward

Thanks for all the support I tossed it out don’t want to take any chances. I’m glad it wasn’t one of the demijohns.

I feel ya!

Once I had a guy that made wine with me go to move his carboy to his car. As he lifted the carboy, is hadn't noticed that he put his hand over a yellow jacket. When he got stung, and instinctively let go, the carboy made a spectacular crash all over the concrete floor. Since I had a dry well for drainage, all we could do is watch his dreams literally go down the drain.

Another time, a couple brought their carboys home and place them on a very low bench. Their 3 year kid decided it would be fun to push them over. After checking that the kid was OK, they took out their unused backup sponge mop and, with it, recovered two of the three carboys. They named the wine "Mop-N-Glow" and also made up hysterical wine labels for it (I wish I had a copy). I tasted it and it was not bad.

At least you didn't get cut by the glass. Be glad it is only wine on the floor.

Why I never use those carboys and only demijohns or oak barrels. Those things are too dangerous and slippery as **** when wet.

Latest posts

Back