RJ Spagnols En Primeur Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I just started the En Primeur Australian Chardonnay. With 18L of juice, oak chips and an oak "teabag", I have great hopes for this guy!

Sounds delicious! Australian style means the chard will be a little deeper in color, slightly less fruity(??), lots more oak, and a little sharper tasting. I would let this guy age a good year before you start drinking the majority of it; you won't be disappointed.

Keep us informed about how it turns out; I'd also like to consider making it someday.

I am starting a Cellar Craft Chardonnay this week. Since it is a lighter chard, I will be aging it on the lees and doing lees stirring for about six months. I'll only do 3 gallons using this method; the other 3 will be done to normal way.

Maybe one day we can swap a bottle for comparison.

Good luck!!!

Someone posted the CC Yakima Valley Chardonnay they just made had oak beans in it and not the acacia beans. Can you confirm or deny!

Someone posted the CC Yakima Valley Chardonnay they just made had oak beans in it and not the acacia beans. Can you confirm or deny!

I haven't even opened the shipping box, which George sent. I'll check it out tonight and get back to you. I have just assumed it has the acacia, which I won't use, anyway.

I am looking forward to fermenting it in my new barrel... if the barrel ever stops leaking, that is. :dg
One spot on the outer side of the bottom's panel, where the bottom's disc meets the side's staves, it wants to leak a little. As of last night, it only leaks when I press the silicone bung in hard enough to create a little pressure inside the barrel. It's been soaking for 4 days, now. It's just a matter of time, though. I don't mind loosing some of that initial oakiness, either, but at the same time, I don't want the plain water inside to cause any critters to grow. If it doesn't stop leaking soon, I'll add a touch of Kmeta.

By the way, where did you buy your bee's wax? Sandor was supposed to have sent me some, but he forgot.

Pick up some canning wax at the store. Hit the spot with the bar of wax back and forth a couple of times until you see a nice layer of wax over the leaking joint.

Problem solved!

Pick up some canning wax at the store. Hit the spot with the bar of wax back and forth a couple of times until you see a nice layer of wax over the leaking joint.

Problem solved!

Canning wax? That makes sense, it should be fairly sanitary. I'll get some.

I am afraid wax won't help for this particular spot. If it were between staves, like my other barrel, it should do fine.

Sandor said to carefully heat the leaking area with a small plumber's torch, so when you add the wax, it will really fill in. (All this without setting the barrel on fire!!! :h)

I have not tried the torch method......

Has worked just fine with the old "rub it in the crack" method though!

I have not tried the torch method......

Has worked just fine with the old "rub it in the crack" method though!

My first barrel is leaking some on the top stave, where the hole is located. That part of the barrel has more of a tendency to dry out between top offs, as compared to the rest of the starves. I try to tilt the barrel so one side of the stave is left below the liquid level. Then I rotate it the other direction.

Also helps to keep the barrel well topped off and more often.

I have been topping off once a week since I got my first.

Barrel numero tres' showed up on my doorstep at lunch today! :sm

Sounds delicious! Australian style means the chard will be a little deeper in color, slightly less fruity(??), lots more oak, and a little sharper tasting. I would let this guy age a good year before you start drinking the majority of it; you won't be disappointed.

Keep us informed about how it turns out; I'd also like to consider making it someday.

I am starting a Cellar Craft Chardonnay this week. Since it is a lighter chard, I will be aging it on the lees and doing lees stirring for about six months. I'll only do 3 gallons using this method; the other 3 will be done to normal way.

Maybe one day we can swap a bottle for comparison.
Good luck!!!

Sounds like a plan!!

I just started the En Primeur Australian Chardonnay. With 18L of juice, oak chips and an oak "teabag", I have great hopes for this guy!

Flem, you won't be disappointed with this one!!!!! I'm on my 3rd batch and have 3 more in waiting as my wife will not let be age it. This is the staple Chard that she now compares all chardonnay's too, with the exception of Cake Bread's. The only thing I have to say is, they have the wood/bag issue backwards. I ended up ripping open the "tea bag" because I could not get all the air out and was like a balloon on top of the must. the oak powder, on the other hand, make a huge mess and clogs the racking cane and/or siphon. the next batch I'm going to open the teabag and put the other oak in a strainer bag. I have a feeling i'll
be making a batch of this one every month till I get get a stock pile :i
Simi and Sola are 2 Chards that come close but....

Thanks for the input Shoebiedoo. I'm looking forward to a great Chard.
I'm experiencing the same thing. The tea bag is like a balloon floating on the surface. I may put some small holes in it to get it to sink. I just started it yesterday but the chips are just floating on top. Hopefully they will eventually sink. Oddly enough, they called for sprinkling the yeast after adding the oak chips (which pretty much covered the entire surface). The yeast just laid on top of the chips until I stirred it today.

Put that whole tea bag, along with the other oak, in a strainer bag with about 2 pounds of sanitized, unpainted marbles and it should work better. Everyday, lightly stir it around in the bottom of the fermenter.

At least you know the TEA BAG doesn't work. That comes in Handy...kind of?...right?

Thanks for the input Shoebiedoo. I'm looking forward to a great Chard.
I'm experiencing the same thing. The tea bag is like a balloon floating on the surface. I may put some small holes in it to get it to sink. I just started it yesterday but the chips are just floating on top. Hopefully they will eventually sink. Oddly enough, they called for sprinkling the yeast after adding the oak chips (which pretty much covered the entire surface). The yeast just laid on top of the chips until I stirred it today.

The yeast part actual works but only half the toasted chips will sink. this picture was my current batch at 1.040 (or so) and a week. I just tore the tea bag open and dumped the chips in. Next time I'm using a strainer bag for the all wood like Robie suggested

DSC_0209.jpg

Latest posts

Back