Bitter Chardonnay!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nono

Junior
Reaction score
So...my Chardonnay from grapes has a bitter finish. I didn't oak it or put it through a malo lactic fermentation. I'm wondering if it will age out? Is there something I can do? I have 12 gallons of it!

So...my Chardonnay from grapes has a bitter finish. I didn't oak it or put it through a malo lactic fermentation. I'm wondering if it will age out? Is there something I can do? I have 12 gallons of it!
There are several fining agents that claim to reduce bitterness. I would use perhaps half the dosage, especially if your wine is already clear.

I’ve not tried this but maybe add a very small amount of acid to mask the bitterness. If your wine is low on acid anyway, it might be worth trying.

If unsure about any of this, rack off a test gallon if you can. That way you’re not risking the whole run.

How old is it? Do you have any numbers on it? pH? TA?

Time is your friend in winemaking in many instances.

I agree with ibglowin, numbers would be helpful here. pH, TA, SO2, and overall age could give us some insight to the bitterness.

Bitterness can be any combination of high tannin, low pH, high acidity, youthful wine, acetaldehyde, excess SO2, etc.

If you don't have numbers, then doing small bench trials of the interventions listed above is probably your best bet. That, and long-term aging.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is mostly clear. It was started October 25. And finished November 11. I don't have numbers on acid or ph. I will take advice and do some trials with clearing agents and let it sit for awhile.

Having 12 gallons of it is a great benefit. It will allow you to try a couple of the recommended remedies, perhaps a gallon at a time. Whatever you decide to do, keep notes on everything. In your case, I might put 10 gallons in two 5 gallon carboys and work on the remaining 2 gallons.

Also, as Mike points out, give it some time. When making a white, I never let it age less than 6 months.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is mostly clear. It was started October 25. And finished November 11. I don't have numbers on acid or ph. I will take advice and do some trials with clearing agents and let it sit for awhile.
I would consider letting it age a few more months before trying any interventions. The wine is barely a month old. Lots of changes are coming in the next few months as it develop. Don’t get too focused on the way it tastes now, because it is far too young!

I have not tasted any of my 2023 whole grape whites. I pressed, fermented and put them to bed. Leave that wine alone. Taste it again in late February or March; then make an assessment.

I have tasted some of the 2023 whole grape reds only because I was moving from keg to barrel. Other reds went into bulk after pressing and I have not touched them since. I'll add K-meta when due and may or may not taste them.

I used to advocate tasting all the way and probably it is a good practice for beginners. For me, my wines do better if left alone and not manipulated unnecessarily. I've ruined more than one batch trying to make it better.

One model chemistry from northern hybrid whites is that bitter is a flavor that develops at the tail end of ripening white grape. The answer suggested is pick earlier.
Bitter correlates with medium chain length tannin. With apple I see early picking bitter which transitions to astringent in September and then to flavorless after freezing. Tannins can be removed with a protein. One already suggested was egg white, casein or whey powder or gelatin are others. The length of the protein determines the size of the tannin it will pull out.
Acetaldehyde should give sharp flavors like dried apricot. It shouldn’t taste bitter. You can isolate acid related flavors by titrating to pH 7 or 8.2 and tasting it. I see that tannin related astringent decreases.

Flavors come in waves. Sweet is fast, under 15 seconds. Acid should be next. Astringent tannin should start after 30 seconds and can last two plus minutes. Tannin related flavors will bind protein, clearing taste panel sometimes uses a dry sandwich meat slice. ,,, I ought to try gelatin some time.

If bitter is SO2 related one can shake a sample to oxygenate which will combine with the SO2.
I wondered if you might have reductive/ mercaptans. This isn’t a bitter like caffeine but more of a brown/ burnt protein note.

Last edited:
I used to advocate tasting all the way and probably it is a good practice for beginners. For me, my wines do better if left alone and not manipulated unnecessarily. I've ruined more than one batch trying to make it better.
Agreed. I taste wine if I have a reason to touch them, otherwise leave 'em alone.

Latest posts

Back