Empty Nester new Wine Rm/Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
Well finally getting stated this weekend. Will be moving some mechanical and start some framing.Winemaking area will be first to complete so I can get things moved over. Spaced is limited, so 40 or so cases of wine bottles may have to remain in the garage cabinets.Far left will be for a barrel rack and the front wall, (which is not visable) will be for bulk aging carboys. Carboy storage will be on shelfs above not in cabinets since I need other storage and drawers.
Cellar should hold 5-600 bottles.

20110405_095307_floor_plan_web.jpg

Looking into the cellar. We will see how close things come to the drawings when I start to frame.

20110405_103702_floor_plan_door.jpg

Looks pretty good Scott.

Is this a basement? What is the square footage. The work area seems tight if its drawn to scale. Only room for 3 carboys!

What size barrels are you thinking about?

I assume you have some layouts with dimensions on them?? If not, I can see why you aren't too confident about "how close things come to the drawings"!!

Will you be climate-controlling the wine storage/cellar area for temp and humidity?

Looks great Scott. Can't wait to see the fnished procuct.

It is in our walk out basement. Have foundation walls on 2 sides in the cellar area,9' below grade. Insulating the the other 2 wall. Right now my cellar is in our son's walk in closet which on the west side andis only 4.5' below grade on one side and this summer it never got above 65 in the closet. He graduates from Colorado State in May and if he does not have a Job he may be back, fingers crossed. May loose the Empty Nester status
smiley19.gif
. Mike, the new area will be roughly 98 sq/ft. Not ideal but is almost 50% bigger then where I am now. The room is roughly 7.5 x 13. The carboys in the cabinet are really not to scale, cabinet is. I'll bring that over from my old area. I had 3- 40 gallon Brute cans on top of it last fall. Until I get the storage shelves moved out this weekend, I am hoping to get a couple 20 gallon barrels on the far end, we'll see. Rocky, I use Goggle Sketch-up for just about everything now.I've built several wine racks and cabinets for people using it and it is really pretty simple to use and modify. This week end will be the kicker

Bart, Forgot to mention I am going to put a humidifier in the cellar and vent for a complete unit but will hold off on that expense for now.

I am weekend warrior woodworker. Built all of our cabinets when we built the house and do several wine racks for people. Wade, you can dimension, scale, just about anything AutoCad does and drawing in 3D is as simple as 2D. Best thing it's free
smiley32.gif

Congratulations to both of you. The remodel project lives on.

Quick - finish the remodel before he gets any ideas about moving back!

Back