easy questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vino08

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all... just a couple questions. I watched the tutorial and understand the cleaning then sanitizing steps, but there is no rinsing with water (or I missed it) after those steps. In the instructions that came with my wine (Vintners reserve Cab s.) it says to rinse after both steps. So I wanted to clarify that with some experts.

Also can the left-over K-Meta (if there is some) be saved in a plastic bottle or does it need to be glass?

Thanks everyone! I hope to get my fist batch started tomorrow.
smiley4.gif

Mary

You dont want to rinse afterwards as that will introduce bacteria all over again. Just make sure there isnt much by drip drying. Yes you can store leftover solution in a plastic container as long as you didnt get it nasty dirty.

Thank you... one more question. Again- on the tutorial the yeast was mixed with a little water then added to the juice (must? I am so new!)... my kit says sprinkle it on top and dont stir it. Does it vary based on the type of wine or does mixing help get the fermentation started better?

Also after reading through the forum more I see I will have to keep my supplies upstairs during the winter, and not in my colder basement. (unless I buy a belt. So much to learn)
Thanks!

Mary

The tutorials are using Mosti instructions with a few general recommendations. They use a yeast starter procedure (rehydrate yeast) while Winexpert uses a sprinkle on top approach. It is generally recommended that you follow the instructions of the manufacturer- in this case Winexpert. With that being said, you can certainly rehydrate the yeast as in the video and in fact in some cases with cooler temps, you almost need to to get the fermentation going.

Good luck with your kit and enjoy the process of making your own.

OK, Thanks. I followed directions in the kit and will keep you all posted.
smiley1.gif

Mary

Sprikling the yeast on the must has failed me twice and Im guessing it was the yeast, both supplied with kit. I added a packet of my own to each of these kits and it fired right up. Its always good to have a few yeast packets around just in case.

There is absolutely no reason you need to rinse after sanitizing particularly if you are using K-Meta. As Wade stated you actually can introduce bacteria back into the wine. Should you worry if you did rinse? Probably not if you cleaned very good prior to sanitizing. The K-Meta on the equipment will not be detrimental to your wine in any way and actually will only help. It will not inhibit fermentation in any way.

You have to really high dose the K-Meta for that to happen. Many get confused that K-Meta will stabilize a wine where it is actually Potassium Sorbate that will do that. K-Meta is an anti-oxidant that will shield the wine from oxidation (browning) that occurs wit the wines exposure to oxygen. I sanitize everything with Na-Meta which has an even higher dose of sulfite's for everything I use wine related. Never an issue with all the batches I have done.

One last thing about saving your used K-meta. It should be just fine and actually there shouldn't be any gunk or wine residue in it because you should clean the equipment very well with a cleaning agent like Easy Clean, One Step, Oxy-Clean etc prior to sanitizing. K-Meta is not a cleaner and will not do an adequate job cleaning. What I do is clean with Oxy-Clean. I then rinse even though you really don't have to. I do though to assure any fleck of foreign materials may be gone. I thin either immerse equipment in Na-Meta or liberally spray down large items with a sprayer to coat and sanitize right before use in a couple minutes. Edited by: smurfe

Thanks, I sprinkled it on .... after 24 hours I saw bubbles coming up into the airlock.( And still do)So... so far so good I think. :) And also I did not rinse after the sanitizing... so hopefully all will be good. Saturday I am supposed to check the SG.
Mary
smiley1.gif

You might want to check sooner as fermentation typically happens faster then they say it will unless you are fermenting in cooler temps.

Thanks, I will check it earlier. If it still has bubbles coming though will that mean it is still fermenting and needs more time?
Mary
smiley5.gif

Mary

In wine making, become very close and intimate with your hydrometer. It will be your best source of letting you know where your wine is at and what it is doing based on criteria of what your beginning SG was, Temps and type of yeast being used.

Even though your wine still has bubbles coming to the surface doesn't mean it's not ready to move to a carboy. Following the numbers in your instructions will give you the product intended by the manufacturer. In fact, the action of transfering wine from a primary to 2ndary vessel will often kick fermentation up a notch and you'll have loads of fun watching the bubbles in your air lock.
smiley36.gif
As Waldo said, be good friends with your hydrometer!

OK- I checked it. It is day 3... starting SG was 1.07. Looks like 1.28 today. (goal is 1.010 or less per the kit).Good numbers...? or bad.... ?
I will do some more readfing about the process.
mary
smiley1.gif

Follow the directions as far as racking so just wait a little longer. Dont go by air bubbles as you can have a fermentation finish and still have airlock activity from C02 being released from your wine. Some fermentations will go very quickly and some will take forever such as some fruit wines from scratch, especially Blueberry for some reason.

OK, Saturday (day 5) the SG was 1.000. at goal. So It is now in the carboy and I will check in 10 days.
smiley1.gif
I do need to get the thermometer that goes on the bottle. And get my friends to save me bottles a little faster!
Mary

Back