Easy Peesy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a beautiful dark red, I checked SG this morning and it's >1.000 so I'm on to the next steps, I gave my husband a taste this morning and he said wow then wanted more:) my strawberry is really great tasting too but it's 16.44% ABV I'll be racking it until it's crystal clear then add strawberry extract and back sweeten just a little. I think they are both turning out awesome for my 1st two batches of wine. I'm hooked!!!!:D will be making a Liefermelch kit next weekend lol I know is spelled wrong but you can sound it out:)

Remember, cindy, it's very important to degas thoroughly. That will be the biggest factor in getting it clear quickly.

I have a couple of bottles of my strawberry (almost port--16% ABV) wine left over in the Lab. It's been in the bottle for about six months. It's almost time to crack one open and see how it's aged. Maybe next time we have some guests over, we'll do a tasting on some of my older batches.

I'm coming up on my one year winoversary, so I have some one year old wine! ;)

only one year, dave???....congrats.....lol...i had been out of the hobby for almost 4 years before my gf and family FINALLY convinced me to get back into it....lol...as a matter of fact, i think i might still have a couple of bottles of "bonzo's bangin' banana" still left from a batch i made about, oh, idk, maybe 5 or 6 years ago....lol...

really only a year? you are wise beyond your years:try I bought a whip and have been burping/degassing my vino daily once with the whip and once by hand.:b

Cindy, isn't your husbands name, "Vino"? :)

you crack me up!!!;) no his name is Ken and we are celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary tonight, its a dam shame I have no wine to share with him except store bought lol maybe next year:d I will continue to burp/degass Ken opps I mean vino until he says uncle:p

Awesome, Cindy! You'll have some of your own wine to drink for your 30th, next year. Now would be the time to decide what wine you want then. ;)

Well Dave, if people with OCD make great wine, then mine should be the best in the world!! LOL My wife tells me daily that I suffer from OCD. We will see in a couple of weeks when my first batch starts!

Thanks Guy's! update on my quad berry skeeter pee:) I racked degassed and added matabisulfite,sorbate and sparkleloid as directed and this morning my pee is already clearing from the top down, however the whip I bought "drill powered" is junk it left a few little plastic pieces behind so I will strain that out next time I rack in in 2-3 weeks. I never thought I would say this but my pee tastes really good but I will be back sweetening. here is a pic about 12hrs after racking to the carboy. I love this hobby there seems to be no limits
on what one can concoct:hug according to my wine conversion calculator the pee is only 10.5 ABV.
IMG_1283.jpg

Hello all: I just had to get a batch of SP going.
I also made a "mixed berry" SP, but used Lon's recipe. Made a frozen mixed berry wine [1 gal.] & used the slurry [@ 1.040] to start the Pee. It was one of my best Pee's. Still have that 3L of mixed berry wine & planning on making another new batch of mixed berry SP, & using the wine to flavor-pac the SP. Roy
Since you have done it the way I'm attempting to do it. I did as Lon suggested also. I started a gal batch of Cherry wine to use as slurry. I'll let it go for 5-7 days. That being said. I wanted to know if I sill need to add additional yeast? Or since I will be using the whole wine/slurry. Do I just go to the next step when the wine is @1.040 SG? Did you use all of the wine as well as slurry or just the lees? The next step being to add...
juice 2+ bottles of 48 oz 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle)
7 lbs sugar (or 16 cups) to ferment
3/4 tsp tannin
6 tsp. yeast nutrient (3 now, 3 later)
2 tsp. yeast energizer (1 now, 1 later)
Approx, 4 1/2 gallons water

Last edited:
Cindy, that looks delicious!!! I will be starting my first batch of per when we get back from vacation. I can't wait!!! Did you have the berries in a cheesecloth sack? Or did you just throw them into the mix and separate them at racking time?

all the berries stayed in the bag until my SG was >1.000 as the recipe suggested, I just squeezed
the bag daily for 5 days. I wish I would have done this with my strawberry wine because there's
much less sediments in the pee where the strawberry will take lots of straining and racking to clear it up.

Cool!! Thanks! I grow raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Next year I will make some of the triple berry pee once my berries have come in. I hope mine looks as delicious as yours!!

I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm really excited to make this. My only question is how do you squeeze the fruit bag? Reach your hand in and squeeze? That doesn't sound very sanitary.

I'm thinking of fishing it out and throwing it into another bucket and pressing it with my hand in a ziplock freezer bag. I'm just really not sure...

1 more question, I see that we hit 1.085sg before adding the fruit and topping off with water. Will the fruit affect the SG? And what ABV do you normally hit? With a standard recipe?

Thanks again sorry for all the questions

I use my hands after I scrub up with antibacterial soap and hot water a nail brush works great. you can always pick up some non powdered latex gloves if that makes you feel more comfortable.lol I like getting my hands in there, just think some people around the world use their feet:s I'm not sure about others but I didn't check my SG until everything was added including the fruit I figure fruit contains sugar so it will effect my SG reading. my ABV ended up at 10.5 with a beginning reading of 1.080. Julie here told me that recipes are just a guide and I have found that to be very true cause even when you follow the recipe exact you are likely to get a different reading then someone else that is following the exact recipe and I think that is because not all fruit is equal depending on where it comes from I think its all about quality. I am new and still learning but I fell hard for this hobby I just wish I had started sooner :p I will have 90 bottles by the time all the wine I have started is ready to bottle 30 strawberry,30 berry skeeter pee, 30 liefermelch lol I know I can't spell it. this weekend I am brewing a couple cases of beer:h so far everything I have going has turned out better then I ever could have hoped.

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm really excited to make this. My only question is how do you squeeze the fruit bag? Reach your hand in and squeeze? That doesn't sound very sanitary.

I'm thinking of fishing it out and throwing it into another bucket and pressing it with my hand in a ziplock freezer bag. I'm just really not sure...

after washing your hands, dip them into your sanitizer.

Thanks Guy's! update on my quad berry skeeter pee:) I racked degassed and added matabisulfite,sorbate and sparkleloid as directed and this morning my pee is already clearing from the top down, however the whip I bought "drill powered" is junk it left a few little plastic pieces behind so I will strain that out next time I rack in in 2-3 weeks. I never thought I would say this but my pee tastes really good but I will be back sweetening. here is a pic about 12hrs after racking to the carboy. I love this hobby there seems to be no limits on what one can concoct:hug according to my wine conversion calculator the pee is only 10.5 ABV.

It looks awesome, cindy! You will be surprised how quickly it clears. It tastes great right out of the fermenter, doesn't it! It will be even better with a little sugar in it (or a lot, if that's yor thing). I like the ABV to be in the 10% range. With the fruit flavor and the sugar, you won't even notice it has alcohol in it! This is not a "sipping" wine.

Back