Easy Peesy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "Thanks, Lon!"

So, using this version of the recipe (and mainly because the Triple Berry was quickly consumed), I've now got Strawberry, Apple/Cherry, and Blueberry cooking in the Lab.

I just started the Blueberry (still in the primary), but the Strawberry and Apple/Cherry seem to be taking a long time to clear. My first batch cleared rather quickly.

Can the clearing time very considerably btw batches? Anyone?

OH yes... as with any wine. I don't use clearing agents... so sometimes it takes a while... but it needs to integrate anyway!

Debbie

As it turned out, I had a pectin haze going on in these. The blueberry came out awesome! I added pectic enzyme and it cleared right up. At back sweetening time, I added a one once bottle of Watkin's Raspberry Flavoring, and it's prefect, IMO. Pics below...
100_0505.jpg

100_0508.jpg

100_0512.jpg

Does anyone have an idea why the Pee with the fruit added to the primary would ferment dry much earlier than the straight lemon. I made the two batches, one at a time, side-by-side, with no variation in proceedure except adding fruit to the one.

Yup, the fruit provides nutrients that allow the yeast to consume the sugar faster. :sm

:u This is the current version of the Easy Peesy Recipe:
EASY PEESY (SKEETER PEE)

Ingredients: For a six gallon batch:

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon primary, add---in this order:
2 bottles (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): if you want to recude the acid level use one bottle.
Water to about five gallons
20 cups of white granulated sugar (looking for a SG btw 1.085-1.09): use less sugar for lower final ABV. Stir sugar until completely desolved.
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
4 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
2 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
6 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry--available in most grocery store freezer sections), frozen then thawed, in a nylon fine mesh bag (tied shut), placed in primary: Give the bag a couple of squeezes to work in pectic enzyme. May also toss fruit directly into primary, but this makes for a "messier" fermentation and subsequently will require more clearing time and racking.
Top water to six gallons
Cover primary
Place brew belt: Keep temp in 70F-80F range.
Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours...

Step 2: To the primary fermenter, add:
1 packet of EC-1118 Yeast (starter, per yeast directions): Sprinkle yeast into one cup of warm water (100F), let sit for 15 minutes (no longer), stir and add to primary. Other yeast strains may also work well.
Stir Primary Vigorously!

Step 3: Each day, do the following, in this order:
Check temp
Check specific gravity
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Temporarily place in sanitized bucket.
Stir primary vigorously: To introduce oxygen into must.
Replace fruit pack
Cover primary

Step 4: When specific gravity (SG) reaches <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Discard fruit.
Rack to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy
Degas very thoroughly: I cannot emphasize this enough!
Add 1 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)
Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)
Add Sparkolloid* (or other cleaing agent): *1 tbs in one cup of water simmered for about 30 minutes. Add hot mixture to carboy.
Allow to clear undistrubed for no less than 1 week

Step 4: When wine is clear:
Carefully rack off of lees into cleaned & sanitized six gallon carboy
Add 4-5 cups of white granulated sugar (stir until sugar is completely disolved): Add more or less sugar to taste. Remember! The sugars will blend with the berry flavors over time, and the sweetness will come forward. Do not over-sweeten!
Allow wine to clear free of all sediment: This may or may not require more racking over the next few weeks.

Step 5: When wine is completely clear:
Bottle in clear bottles
Note: Never bottle cloudy wine! NEVER!

Wine is drinkable right way, but may benefit from up to a year of aging.

Last edited:
Danger,
your story about the Triple berry Pee made me stop in the middle of reading this thread and go to the local grocer and buy some berries! They are thawing now. I will be starting this one today! Thanks for the inspiration!

You are welcome, pjd. I hope it works out well. I have made many batches using this recipe. Good luck!

Dave,

When you say "2 bottles (48 oz)", do you mean 48 oz bottles, or two 24 oz bottles, for a total of 48 oz? :D Thanks.

J

Dave,

When you say "2 bottles (48 oz)", do you mean 48 oz bottles, or two 24 oz bottles, for a total of 48 oz? :D Thanks.

J

That's two 48oz bottles. One, if you want less acid. I'll correct the recipe to be more comprehensive. Thanks!

Danger, originally you used 3 pounds of fruit and now it is 6. Have you had better luck with more fruit?

Yes, more rich berry flavor! I've gone to more fruit (6 lbs) and less lemon juice (one 48 oz bottle).

I'll be racking and backsweetening 15 gallons of TBL (Triple Berry Lemon) this evening. I wish you were all here to try some!:b

Last edited:
Ugh! Went to the brew shop tonight and forgot to get the tannin. Guess I won't be starting tonight. :slp

Got to the shop this morning and got my tannin. Got a half batch going before lunch and will pitch yeast in the morning.

OK, I just took a hydrometer reading and I'm at exactly 1.000. Ferment still seems to be going strong (I was at 1.010 last night), and it still smells pretty sweet - good, but sweet. Should I let it go for a while longer?

Should be getting close, my man! IMO, if you are going to backsweeten later, there is no reason to leave any sugar in it now. Let it go dry...confirmed by three days at <1.000. Then proceed.

You're making me want to make some more! And I've already got 15 gallons ready to bootle! :ibMaking it is half the addiction.

Been meaning to ask: what would you top this off with - just a cheap berry cooler type wine?

I have not made sp before and I am getting things together to make a batch.
It will be a six gallon batch. The question I have is that I would like a sweet and sour sp. I am not really into sweet wines but would like a sp with just a little twang. If you know what I mean. How would I adjust the recipe? Should I just not put in the back sweetner? I am going to make this triple berry recipe. It sounds awesome on a hot georgia day.

Latest posts

Back