Drinking straight from the bottle wine taint?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerMark

Reaction score
I took a sip from one of my red wine welchs super sugar and I'm not sure if this could taint the wine?
I the alcohol in it (about 15%) would kill any bacteria from my mouth right? What do you guys think?

If you're talking about tasting from the carboy, I sanitize a plastic straw and take a sip. It doesn't stir up the sediment this way.

Last edited:
Oh yea it wasn't from the carboy or fermenter... Straight from the bottle [emoji23]

Drink it yourself, thats great. Drink it with somebody you are close to, that is great. Don't know why, but with others around I can't abide with drinking out of the bottle. Get some of those little 5 oz. plastic cups and pass em around. Not many things bother me much, but I really don't want somebody drinking out of my bottle. End of rant, Arne.

The mouth is a hostile environment and contains various strains of lactobacillus which could taint the wine if they got back into the carboy. Next time I suggest rinsing your mouth with sulfite solution before tasting.:h

The mouth is a hostile environment and contains various strains of lactobacillus which could taint the wine if they got back into the carboy. Next time I suggest rinsing your mouth with sulfite solution before tasting.:h

YUK!!! That's a mean joke. Someone might take you seriously.....

I've been giving your question a lot of thought since yesterday, and i think if you put the bottle in a brown paper sack first, and then drank the whole bottle you should be pretty safe from contamination.:h

I know how important edicate is the you folks, so I did some checking...

According to Emily Post, one should always wipe off the lip of the bottle (with your right shirt sleeve) before passing it to someone else. The right shirt sleeve should be used as the left shirt sleeve is traditionally used to wipe one's runny nose.

I know how important edicate is the you folks

Not so much, but spelling on the other hand. :)

You through me for a loop when I first saw that word.

"Etiquette"

Back