Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever use super-kleer you will buy it by the case..

Complete Noob question about Superkleer,
does it do anything to the flavor?
Isnt it made out of something fish oily?

I have always used sparkalloid.
And I want to try Superkleer
But I fear change!

:d

Elmer yes it is made from crustaceans, crab shell,shrimp, etc.
It is dryed , powdered, liquified,etc..
It does not change the taste at all, easy to use, and works very very fast.
You will like it....and it compacts the lees, very very fine and tight....

As soon as I run out of Sparkloid Im getting some

Why isnt this thread a sticky? Skeeter pee has it own forum on here. Apfelwein is top dog sticky on this recipe forum. Why not support our own Dave who came up with this recipe. Its constantly talked about and made on here.
Specially good for newbies to try. This should be a sticky by now

I agree, come on admin,are mods...how bout a sticky for dave....it would certainly help all those that want to try, looking for it,reading about .

I am just throwing out an educated guess but DB is a derivative of Skeeter Pee so I am assuming that is why it is listed under the Skeeter Pee section.

Rememeber to always throw some kudos Lon's way as he was the guiding force behind Dave's creation.

I always give credit where credit is due.
That is why I refer to it as:

Dave's Dragon Blood: Triple Berry variant of Lon's Skeeter Pee !

or for Short- Dragon Pee!

I have never made skeeter pee, nor to i intend too...i even guit adding the lemon juice...i do however add two whole squeezed lemons...
other then lemon juice i dont see the similarites...other then the chemicals which we use in all wines, almost.

Superkleer seems expensive compared to sparkolloid. $7.50 on Amazon for one application. My last pack of sparkolloid was $1.90 for 3/4 oz. Actually my local store has super kleer for $2.25 but still that is one application of 5 to 6 gallons. 3/4 oz of sparkolloid at 4.5 tsp will do 9 gallons at 1/2 tsp per gallon. The good hing is they do sell the two super kleer ingredients separately. Maybe that is the way to go. kieselsol and chitosan.

Last edited:
i pay 1.85 for each packet, which contains both, kieselsol and chitosan.
which as far as i am concern is no big deal...
not sure what you are getting on amazon for 7.50.

That's not the price you would normally pay if bought in a brew shop. At most it's $2.50. They are factoring in Prime shipping charges.
If you don't have a local shop that carries it, try a few other online sellers. Most ship pretty quick and usually you will get in it 3-4 days. And for the shipping that Amazon is really charging, you can get 3-4 packs.

Chitosan can be bought from Amazon for $13.99 +6.46 shipping for a liter. That is just over 33 doses at 1 oz per 5-6 gallons. $.62 cents per dose. Kieselsol is also sold there for $18.99 +$6.46 shipping for a liter. At 1/4 oz per 5-6 doses that is about 133 doses at 0.19 cents per dose. Total $.81 cents per dose. Placing my order. Filled by Midwest through Amazon. Hope it's ok to post all this.

That should do you for a while.
If you decide to give up wine making, you can use it to clear your neighbors pool. :D

Superkleer seems expensive compared to sparkolloid. $7.50 on Amazon for one application. My last pack of sparkolloid was $1.90 for 3/4 oz. Actually my local store has super kleer for $2.25 but still that is one application of 5 to 6 gallons. 3/4 oz of sparkolloid at 4.5 tsp will do 9 gallons at 1/2 tsp per gallon. The good hing is they do sell the two super kleer ingredients separately. Maybe that is the way to go. kieselsol and chitosan.

I have only ever used sparkalloid.
I tend to lose anywhere from a 1/2 to a full gallon when rack off of sparkalloid.
The issue I have is that the goop is fluffy and to avoid having the pump grab the fluffy goop when racking, I have to put the racking cane a good few inches away, leaving me a loss of potentially up to a gallon.

If superkleer is that good. and pack everything tight and can minimize my losses, I would gove it a shot even at $7 an application.

Then again I only use it in when I make "Dave's Dragon Blood: Triple Berry variant of Lon's Skeeter Pee!"

tripple i was going to do the same today, i am tired of getting 12 pkg each time.

elmer....you dont like super-kleer send me a self addressed envelope and i will send you your money back from where ever you got it.
promise.

sparkalloid has worked for me but I havnt made as much as James has. I will change when I run out!

Your already determent your not gonna try it?? WHY??? James I love the pee in the summer so do all my friends. You should at least try it!! Who dose not like lemonade with dinner in the summer and who dosnt like it with a kick!! Your being stubborn. Make it before you get this idea of it in your head!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back