Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what yeast did you use, and how much yeast nutrient....if its still fizzy its still fermenting, may take a week are more....that usually means its in its second phase of fermenting, and when some move to secondary.
i for one leave it till there is no more fiz...are very very little.a quick test is to sprinkle a little yeast nutrient on top and see if it foams a little..if it does, yeast is still working.

I used EC1118 and followed the recipe ver batim except for a little less lemon and all blue berries. I'm going to check again in the morning to see if any progress was made. Thanks!

I guess I did mean to post here....

I asked in the 15 day thread but it seems the conversation moved here. Anyway, I am a newbie very excited to start some DB! I had hoped to not encounter too many disasters along the way ;)

I'm doing my research and gathering the materials I need but I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. Do you just follow the package directions for the bentonite, or did you add a specific amount? Dave listed amounts for the other nutrients/chemicals, so I was just curious. I am not familiar with Bentonite, other than the little packages that come in wine kits. I don't want to make a novice mistake......
Thanks!!
Rosa

Last edited:
I've recently lowered my ferment temp from a warm 80F to 72F. The DB comes out much smoother from the get-go. You'll love it.

RotGut76: When I used the extra fruit in the DB, I put the fruit and it's juices into the clear wine (in a carboy) and let it sit for a month like that. I got no bitter taste in mine. It did come out fruitier, but---naturally---I lost some wine in the racking. I didn't think the improvement was enough to make it worth the fuss. I've since reverted back to the original---at a slightly lower temp.

Dave,
'Improvement' questions:
Other than colder fermentation temps, it sounds like you stick to the original amount of fruit (don't add extra fruit at any stage). Have you tried James extra fruit simple syrup to increase the berry flavor while backsweetening?

Will the EC-1118 work at temps between 60-68*F (my basement temp) or is that too cool?

You also mentioned an alternate yeast test a couple months back. Did the EC-1118 win out?

Do you still like the 1/2 cup of oak chip addition after clearing?

Thanks,
Bob

Rosa,
Here's the link to Dave's "current" recipe for Triple Berry DB. It's the most recent thread on DB.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine-41825/
Bentonite is not listed in the recipe.
Bentonite can be used in primary to help clear the must, or it can be added at the end of fermentation.
I use the following from E C Kraus website: recipe for use of bentonite is to mix is 3 tablespoons of Bentonite to 1 pint of boiling water.
It is then recommended that you add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the slurry mix to each gallon of wine that is to be treated.
Jack Keller's website also has recommendations for bentonite use, and he varies the amount according to the need, but give basic instructions for it's use (meaning it will vary with each application).
Midwest supplies has a really good description of how much to add, and when it's added (beginning vs. end) as well.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bentonite-fining-agent.html
I'm sure others will give further advise as well.

Last edited:
after having a fig wine from hell,that would not clear, i made a second batch using bentonite, adding on the 3 rd day of ferment (per turock)
after it was dry, i had no trouble clearing the 2nd batch.
the first batch took like 2 mos longer to clear.
I use it on every batch now....and it does not impart a taste.

In the end, the bentonite vs sparkolloid test came out identical. Use either or both. Your choice.

JetJokey: The EC-1118 works great at low temps like yours. It will takes longer to ferment. The yeast comparison was EC-1118 vs 71B-1122. The EC came out bolder, and the 71B came out smoother (more blush-like). Both were good. If you like oak, add oak. My wife, who hates dry, red, oaky wine, requested I no longer use oak. She is my biggest consumer (and I have to live with her), so I went with that.

Rosa,
Here's the link to Dave's "current" recipe for Triple Berry DB. It's the most recent thread on DB.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine-41825/
Bentonite is not listed in the recipe.
Bentonite can be used in primary to help clear the must, or it can be added at the end of fermentation.
I use the following from E C Kraus website: recipe for use of bentonite is to mix is 3 tablespoons of Bentonite to 1 pint of boiling water.
It is then recommended that you add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the slurry mix to each gallon of wine that is to be treated.
Jack Keller's website also has recommendations for bentonite use, and he varies the amount according to the need, but give basic instructions for it's use (meaning it will vary with each application).
Midwest supplies has a really good description of how much to add, and when it's added (beginning vs. end) as well.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bentonite-fining-agent.html
I'm sure others will give further advise as well.
Thanks! I'm new and just joining the conversation. I definitely missunderstood.
I thought Bentonite was the secret ingredient to the 15-day clearing. guess not! :) I will try my first batch without it and try to keep things as simple as possible

Dragon blood is just fine with out using bentonite....IF you used a fruit like my fig...it helps, but less sediment prone fruits it really isnt needed.
I bought a bunch so i use..it, but all in all..doesnt make a difference.

JetJokey: The EC-1118 works great at low temps like yours. It will takes longer to ferment. The yeast comparison was EC-1118 vs 71B-1122. The EC came out bolder, and the 71B came out smoother (more blush-like). Both were good. If you like oak, add oak. My wife, who hates dry, red, oaky wine, requested I no longer use oak. She is my biggest consumer (and I have to live with her), so I went with that.

Dave, as always your information is invaluable! Thoughts on extra fruit to get a bolder fruit flavor, i.e. extra fruit at end, more in beginning, fruit/sugar simple syrup to back sweeten (ala James' technique)?

Dave, as always your information is invaluable! Thoughts on extra fruit to get a bolder fruit flavor, i.e. extra fruit at end, more in beginning, fruit/sugar simple syrup to back sweeten (ala James' technique)?

James is a big advocate for more fruit up front. I think he uses twice as much as the recipe calls for. I imagine it helps with his more potent version, helping to hide the increased ABV.

It's interesting that you ask about the fruit at the end. I made a bach this past summer, and after it had cleared, I dumped in another three pound bag of the triple berry fruit blend into the carboy and let it sit for a month to soak. The really interesting thing is how it turned out several months later in the bottle. It has developed a mild hint of "spice", almolst like a touch of cinnamon. I know it sounds strange, but that's the closest I can describe it. Amazing how changing one thing can lend a new flavor to an old recipe.

I have otherwise always back sweetened with plain white sugar to taste. Others make a syrup. Some have even made an extract from the fruit and added some sugar to flavor the wine.

So many options! :HB

I just got my 6 pounds of fruit tonight and can't wait to start my first batch of dragon blood! :)

but as per my personality I can't help but think ahead to what comes next... for the Blue Macaw recipe do you have to use honey? Do you taste any honey in the final product? I really do hate the stuff :-( Would something like corn syrup have the same effect? Or is there a reason you use honey?

Thanks!!!!

I think I have decided that I like drinking this young only. I have just opened a bottle that I let age for 1 year and I don't like it. We love this at 60 days. We opened the bottle at Thanksgiving and there were many that poured it out in the sink. Same batch that we were adoring 9 months ago. Interestingly, I am drinking a glass of the tropical, pineapple mango kiwi, right now and it is amazing after one year. 6 months ago, I was considering pouring it out to make room in some bottles for another batch.

I just got my 6 pounds of fruit tonight and can't wait to start my first batch of dragon blood! :)

but as per my personality I can't help but think ahead to what comes next... for the Blue Macaw recipe do you have to use honey? Do you taste any honey in the final product? I really do hate the stuff :-( Would something like corn syrup have the same effect? Or is there a reason you use honey?

Thanks!!!!

That's odd. I didn't use honey in my Blue Macaw recipe. It's possible I fudged my notes, though. Just make the DB, but sub out the fruit with some tropical blend. I used a peach/mango/pineapple/strawberry mix found in the freezer section of Walmart.

Okay, I'm all in! I have spent the last few days reading topic after topic, thread after thread, recipe after recipe, and every post in this 98 page thread. I just got a brand spanking new Winemakers Depot equipment kit for Christmas thanks to my wonderful wife who overheard me telling someone that I would like to try my hand at making some wine from the huge Loquat tree we have in the yard. While doing some much needed learning on this site I ran across a post from Tess instructing another noob to make Dave's DB first as a primer. Followed the link to this thread and I've been hooked due to it's simplicity, low cost, quick to bottle and quick to drink aspect. I started reading this thread last Friday night and Saturday made a 150 mile round trip to my closest home brew store and picked up all the needed chemicals and a few equipment needs. Last night I made a quick trip to the local Walmart and picked up the ingredients. This morning after sanitizing everything (scrubed everything last night) I began the first steps to making my very first wine. Wish me well. The following is the ingredients I used to make it mine:

32oz Great Value (GV) 100% Lemon Juice
3# GV No Sugar Added Whole Berry Blend - Strawberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Red raspberry
3# GV No Sugar Added Triple Berry Blend - Whole Blueberry, Strawberry, Red Raspberry
12oz California Raisins somewhat coarsely chopped (for added body?)
25 cups of granulated sugar
starting S.G. was 1.090

I thawed the fruit in the fridge overnight and nuked it this morning to warm it up before putting all the fruit into a nylon mesh bag.

I also picked up another 12oz box of raisins to add after the first racking to help with body. Is this a good idea? If so, when should I add them and should I add more? I really don't want to go back through the last 98 pages to reacquaint myself with this procedure. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone has given thus far through all the fantastic post.

Also, the recipe states to wait 12-24 hours before pitching the yeast. What is the advantage to waiting 24 hours as opposed to only 12? Yes, I am an impatient person. This hobby is to help me overcome that, however, I plan on easing into the patient part.

Tess and DangerDave, if this turns out, and I'm sure it will, I'll be asking for your address to send you a bottle for your tasting and critique since I owe this discovery to you guys.

Welcome to the forums StoneCreek, lol and sorry about your new addiction but hey at least it is one that pays off.

Okay, I'm all in! ..........

I also picked up another 12oz box of raisins to add after the first racking to help with body. Is this a good idea? If so, when should I add them and should I add more? I really don't want to go back through the last 98 pages to reacquaint myself with this procedure. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone has given thus far through all the fantastic post.

Also, the recipe states to wait 12-24 hours before pitching the yeast. What is the advantage to waiting 24 hours as opposed to only 12? Yes, I am an impatient person. This hobby is to help me overcome that, however, I plan on easing into the patient part.

Tess and DangerDave, if this turns out, and I'm sure it will, I'll be asking for your address to send you a bottle for your tasting and critique since I owe this discovery to you guys.

For your first batch, I would advise follow those directions written by Dave almost to a T. They wont steer you wrong and have been time tested by many folks. Learn the process of making wine before you tweak things.

I am not a raisan adder, in general. They give a foreign taste that I don't care for. Many people seem to use them.

I agree with cmason...for your first batch follow the recipe to a t.
no additions, no second guessing.
you want the fruit to breakdown , thus 24 hours not 12....

Latest posts

Back