Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tess...I can not stand lemonade....nor lemon pie, nor lemon anything.
i do not eat, grapefruit, and will not drink orange juice of any kind..just dont like citrus.

liv that looks good, and love the label, not quite forbidden fruit...just dares you to try it..lol good job.

liv that looks good, and love the label, not quite forbidden fruit...just dares you to try it..lol good job.

Not Quite Forbidden Fruit is the name of my little 'winery'. Always seemed fitting to me... and I love the connotation of 'a little bit naughty' :i

Those are really nice labels Viv. Did you do the artwork? Very professional looking.

Question. I know I'm not supposed to taste this yet, but hey. Who would bottle without tasting?

I stabilized and cleared last weekend and racked again last night. At what point does this start tasting like wine? I haven't back sweetened yet and am wondering if that will change the flavor much. As of now, it has very little flavor so I'm wondering if back sweetening with a concentrate of some kind will be overkill or just adding sugar and waiting does the trick.

Everyone's DB seems to come out a little different, Lori. Everything from light blushes to bold ruby reds have been produced with this one recipe. When you say "very little flavor", how light are we talking. Regardless, give it some time. It will come around.

Very little meaning watered down. Kind of like 1/2 juice half water.

Personally i double the fruit...my first batch I screwed up and added 12...by mistake...i still use 12, sometimes more.

Lori,,,go to the store get about 3 lbs strawberrys..
remove the stems, slice and put in pot, along with 3 cups sugar and cook for about 30 minutes on med, skim the white crap on top.
let cool and add to your db....let it clear, and bottle.
that will bring out all the berry flavor, after a month it will be excellent.

To true James; this one I have added several punnets of strawberries in addition to the frozen mixed berries too! I'm hoping you will be able to taste them (love strawberries) but if not I will try a batch with less frozen mixed berries and more strawberries. I'm determined to make 3gal a week until I have a wonderful stockpile!

And every one can be different!

Very little meaning watered down. Kind of like 1/2 juice half water.

I didn't sweeten mine, but we tried a bottle with 1tbsp sugar added; it totally altered the flavour and took away that watery taste quite a bit. However I found it too sweet and preferred it without the sugar... age will also take the wateriness away...

Sure did; I do print and web design so lucky enough to have all the toys (ah hem I mean software). :D

It takes more than software to get that nice of a label. Talent comes into play and you sure have it.

Vivid..heres a hint. use twice the fruit.and 1/2 as much lemon, the berry flavor will be very pronounced....
If you want to sweeten....start it at 1.100 check it everyday until the sweetness is where you want it.. then zap it with a berry vodka until it reaches, .990 let it clear add campden, no sorbate and bottle...
the vodka will kick it up a notch about 20 percent, and you wont even notice it.

I use the called for fruit in the original recipe. I use half the lemon and it works out great!!! Who needs that much lemon?? Seriously?? Dont worry about it

James, you need to send me a bottle so at least I know what your taking about!! Im not kidding, I need something to judge all my bottle by!!

Vivid..heres a hint. use twice the fruit.and 1/2 as much lemon, the berry flavor will be very pronounced....
If you want to sweeten....start it at 1.100 check it everyday until the sweetness is where you want it.. then zap it with a berry vodka until it reaches, .990 let it clear add campden, no sorbate and bottle...
the vodka will kick it up a notch about 20 percent, and you wont even notice it.

I for one agree to this...extra fruit does help, but that being said...this is a CHEAP easy drinking wine....and with this one a few months bottle aging helps soooooo much.

I think I have my first stalled fermentation. I could be wrong. I started a batch of blueberry DBSP on 11/26/13. 1.080 SG today I am at 1.010 but it has been there for a few days. It's still a little "fizzy" though. Am I over reacting or should I just wait a few more days? I would like fully dry as I usually make it.

what yeast did you use, and how much yeast nutrient....if its still fizzy its still fermenting, may take a week are more....that usually means its in its second phase of fermenting, and when some move to secondary.
i for one leave it till there is no more fiz...are very very little.a quick test is to sprinkle a little yeast nutrient on top and see if it foams a little..if it does, yeast is still working.

Latest posts

Back