Don't cork screwcaps : Photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why take the chance? Toss the screw caps or dont buy them to begin with. There are plenty of corked bottles waiting to be collected.

Why take the chance? Toss the screw caps or dont buy them to begin with. There are plenty of corked bottles waiting to be collected.

I dunno about don't buy them to begin with - there's some awfully nice wine being produced in screw tops.

My solution (for example with one of my favorite aussie wineries - D'Arenberg) is when I buy commercial wine to consume at home, it always has corks, and I reuse the bottles - but if I buy a bottle of wine to go to someone else's house, it's my chance to go buy a bottle or two of a D'Arenberg I like that's a screw top - then I still get to drink some of the wines I like, and I don't feel bad about not reusing the bottle :)

I think he meant if you are buying empty bottles for your wine, don't buy screw cap bottles. By all means buy full bottles regardless of the closure!

No I meant dont buy screw cap wine. But i like his compromise solution.

I have no problem with screw cap wine. In fact my favorite wine casillero del diablo shiraz is screwed. I just keep the cap. I really only use SC's for short term storage, blending trials, side batch fermenters and to give away to friends if they're going to drink it that night.

I've corked many screw type bottles and never had a problem. Is there something I am missing here?

How about the rest of you bottlers?

if you mic the tops, you will see that screw top wine bottles are not near as thick as a traditional bottle.

Umm Yes.

The two are incompatible in the long run.

Each time you do it you are seriously risking the top cracking off as the photo shows.

You a gambling man?

Keep shoving corks in screw tops wine bottles and spin that wheel o fortune....

I've corked many screw type bottles and never had a problem. Is there something I am missing here?

I tell you what's weird - the screw-top bottles I have bottled (and re-bottled) seem easier to cork than the corked bottles. I think the necks are slightly larger on screw-top bottles, which allows the corks to go in marginally more easily. I still have some apprehension about the screw-top bottles, but in over 5 years of using and re-using them, I have had no problems. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but I guess I like living on the edge.

I'm sure no one will be surprised that I use them. All the time. And I put the corks in with a hammer and hand corker. And I take them out with a waiters corkscrew.

I'm sure no one will be surprised that I use them. All the time. And I put the corks in with a hammer and hand corker. And I take them out with a waiters corkscrew.

Ditto, ditto, ditto......................Never had a problem.....

I use an electric corkscrew. Someday, they may all be screw tops.

I am just wondering why people would take a chance at severe cuts or a wasted bottle of wine when it is so easy to get free previously corked bottles from restaurants or wine stores that have tastings? I got over 700 good bottles in 3 months. Is it hard to get free bottles in other areas?

For a while I was not buying any commercial wine in screw tops as I wanted all the corked bottles I could get. Now I have so many I don't mind throwing out screw tops and will buy wine in them again to try something different.

I am just wondering why people would take a chance at severe cuts or a wasted bottle of wine when it is so easy to get free previously corked bottles from restaurants or wine stores that have tastings? .

I'm grateful for the tip, and I'll be much more aware of the possibility of this happening, but I'll still use them until something happens.

derunner said:
I am just wondering why people would take a chance at severe cuts or a wasted bottle of wine when it is so easy to get free previously corked bottles from restaurants or wine stores that have tastings? I got over 700 good bottles in 3 months. Is it hard to get free bottles in other areas?

For a while I was not buying any commercial wine in screw tops as I wanted all the corked bottles I could get. Now I have so many I don't mind throwing out screw tops and will buy wine in them again to try something different.

I figure if I get killed by a dang wine bottle it just must be my time to go.

There was a guy on another gorum who cirked a screw top and had to hsve about 5 surgeries on his gand and nerves reattached! Im pretty dure after all was said he lost like 75% movement of that hand! Cheap isnt always inexpendive and you usually pay dearly later!!!!!

That pic is scary. I never had that happen to me. However, I have broken off several corks inside of the bottle. I stopped using corks. I'm not a big fan. I prefer screw on tops.

That pic is scary. I never had that happen to me. However, I have broken off several corks inside of the bottle. I stopped using corks. I'm not a big fan. I prefer screw on tops.

Are you re-using screw top lids or do you buy new?

Back