Don't cork screwcaps : Photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames23

Reaction score
I wanted to see how many times you can put a cork in a screwcaps bottle before it breaks.

The answer is 5.

image-1562020415.jpg

But the real question is...............did you ruin the wine or save it from the glass shavings?

You forgot to tell us what you used to insert the cork and what size cork? I like zorks better now,less trouble than corks. WVMJ

WVMountaineerJack said:
You forgot to tell us what you used to insert the cork and what size cork? I like zorks better now,less trouble than corks. WVMJ

If I were to attempt to cork a screw cap, I'd use a #8.

This broke while removing the cork by the looks of the cork. What type of corkscrew did you use?

Dugger said:
This broke while removing the cork by the looks of the cork. What type of corkscrew did you use?

A handcrafted corkscrew made from Ancient Ivory that was handed down from my great, great.....lol

I think the point is.... Don't cork screwcaps.

Lol, It is not science untill you repeat the experiment 5 more times while not wearing safety glasses.

I am however, not way too surprised that the bottles shattered..

I agree, it makes no difference what type of corkscrew you use or what type of corker you use. The point is the neck breaks and I would like to add while it took five times before this one broke, that does not mean you have four chances to use the bottle.

seth8530 said:
Lol, It is not science untill you repeat the experiment 5 more times while not wearing safety glasses.

I am however, not way too surprised that the bottles shattered..

Damn you and your imperical ways Seth. Lol.

I agree the whole point is to not use screw cap bottles but I was curious about the type of corkscrew you used. I believe it does make a difference what kind you use - many, many people use these bottles and I feel they would be much safer using a wing type or lever type than a waiters' corkscrew.

Dugger said:
I agree the whole point is to not use screw cap bottles but I was curious about the type of corkscrew you used. I believe it does make a difference what kind you use - many, many people use these bottles and I feel they would be much safer using a wing type or lever type than a waiters' corkscrew.

I always use a wing type.

Dugger I agree the wing type would be less likely to break it compared to other but the danger still exists. I prefer the waiters cork screw over any others and for sure that would be one that would break the neck right off. As you know we can't control what one choses to do but we can be sure to bring awareness to a possible and likely danger.

Latest posts

Back