Don't cork screwcaps : Photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are these applied? They say they can be applied by hand but how exactly?

There is a direct replacement for the metal screw caps, in plastic and reusable. Has been around for 2 years, and has different cap liners to allow for different mico-ox rates. Initial application allows for witness marks. Product is called Novatwist, and is sold by Scott labs in Canada and in California. I have used about 1000 of them over the last 2 years and am happy with their product.
They do not challenge the breaking strength of the thinner screw necks.
Ric

I don't know how they are applied, but coincidentally enough, I took a photo of them at the local shop!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1398208478.496239.jpg

Access to screw tops is pretty much the only access I have in NZ, so it looks like I will need to buy these based on this thread! Wish they weren't quite so pricey.

I've also read that plastic Champagne stoppers are suitable for still home-bottled wines, and are easy enough to insert after soaking in boiling water for a minute. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I researched them

http://www.lovetobrew.co.uk/bottle-closures/novatwist-30mm-wine-bottle-screw-caps/

Yes quite expensive compared to 4-5 bucks for a package of corks.

However these caps can't age wine through the cork as corks do .

How to use Novatwist:

The caps are designed to fit 30mm diameter, screw-top wine bottles. They may not fit other bottles, such as spirit bottles or juice/cordial bottles. Novatwist work best on bottles which have at least two rows of threads. If your bottle only has a single row of thread, then the cap may not work as expected. To fit the cap, push down hard until you hear a click, then hand-tighten. Do not over-tighten as the cap may then jump off the threads and may need to be replaced. Bottles fitted with Novatwist do not need to be stored on their sides.

I am phasing out my screw tops. The bottle depot has a lot of flat tops I've stocked up on 200 of them and there is a lot more. I'll use the screw tops occasionally in a pinch, I might reuse some a second and third time. The way I cork and open ,I'm not worried if even if it breaks - but giving away for presents - other people are not cautious so I give them flat tops.

Also I think hard alcohol (liquor) bottles that I've saved are a lot stronger even though they are screw tops because of their design - I use them them to cork samples of batches because they are clear colour and I might what to see how well the wine settles. ie how clear it is. And I use them to settle out last bits of wine sets - the overflow, the reserve, etc so I want to see clearly the line of the must then siphon off the top..

Dang-Nabit! I bought a bottle of wine this evening on sale, didn't notice until I got to the cashier that it was a screw-top! I would have bought something different! :(

I know!!

I've been collecting wine bottles from friends and family.....
Had no idea about this issue!

I live in a rural area and don't know if anywhere to get "freebies" other than asking my drunkie loved ones to save 'em for me :d hehe

Guess it's time to weed out the screw tops from my stash! BUMMER!

Latest posts

Back