DOLGO CRABAPPLES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
The neighbors have been calling saying that the crabapples are ripe....After the storms of last weekend they started to fall...
oldtreeSmall.jpg

Went over and pickedthree 5 gallon buckets [almost full]...

prettySmall.jpg

Washed and placed them in the steam juicer....within minutes they began to split...

splittingSmall.jpg

And the juice poured forth...

flowingSmall.jpg

Out of the 13-14 gallons of fruit I got 20 quarts [5 gallons] of juice....I use 10 quarts per 5 gallon batch of wine...

juiceSmall-3.jpg

The sad thing is....I am the only one who uses any fruit from that tree.....The area homesteads seem to all have at least one Dolgo Crabapple tree in the yard [except us]...and not many of the fruits get used....everyone always asks each other if they want any....such a waste....but there was some nice piles of bear scat under the tree and the deer had also been spending a lot of time there....so the wildlife seem to enjoy those fruits.

crabjpg.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

wade said:
Wish I was there and had a big freezer.

A big freezer for the Crabapples, deer or bear????

Bear Season opens on Saturday....they suggest you get the license before you shoot your bear....Like it's almost an option not to get a license.

Sounds like a need for 3 freezers if ya ask me.

I love that tree and Dolgo was the type I was trying to find for my front yard. Your very lucky to be able to get all that good fruit for harvest.

Well Ive never had Bear but Im willing to try almost anything 1nce.

I really don't like the taste of bear
smiley11.gif
Deer, however, is a favorite in this house!

NW do you blend this juice with any other variety or make wine just from the single variety? It sure looks "liscious"

That's cool. when I had my orchard I had 3 Dolgo trees. They had been recommended for pollination for my apple trees. They were too young to produce when the orchard was razed. When/if I replant an orchard, Dolgos are now much higher on the need list.

Waldo....I add a few cans [5] of frozen apple juice to mellow out the flavor andmake it a more complex. I made one batch and used WinExpert White Grape Concentrate...that was also good, but preferred the batches with apple juice added.

We have a couple of breeds of crab apple trees in our yard and all down our street. We harvested some last year, but much was left out there. Our greatest reward for keeping these trees is the cedar wax wings that come through on migration twice a year. They love them!

what a shame we used to make crabapple jelly. WOW was it good. On the toast and english muffins in Jan when is was cold and wintery the taste of summer was wonderfull . Wish the internet was around back then I would have tried to wine

Latest posts

Back