Quantcast

Dogs and Grapes

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jsbeckton

Senior Member
Joined
May 23, 2016
Messages
532
Reaction score
223
Friendly reminder that grapes are highly toxic to dogs. I forgot about this and my 12 week old pup got Into some after I washed out my crusher. Long story short I’ve been at the vet ER for about 3hrs now...

Think he will be ok but it’s been pretty scary. Please keep this little guy in your thoughts.
674A098C-AB0C-4649-A523-3871A51BEBB7.jpeg
 

bstnh1

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Messages
680
Reaction score
478
Location
In the woods of New Hampshire
Friendly reminder that grapes are highly toxic to dogs. I forgot about this and my 12 week old pup got Into some after I washed out my crusher. Long story short I’ve been at the vet ER for about 3hrs now...

Think he will be ok but it’s been pretty scary. Please keep this little guy in your thoughts.
View attachment 67087
No grapes .... no raisins! It only takes 1 or 2 grapes or raisins per 10 lbs. of weight for a dog to begin to show symptoms of poisoning.
 

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
14,194
Reaction score
11,377
Location
DC Suburbs
Adorable pup. I hope he's well on his way to a full recovery. Is he a Goldendoodle?
 

jsbeckton

Senior Member
Joined
May 23, 2016
Messages
532
Reaction score
223
Thanks. He is a Goldendoodle. So far so good but they really won’t know anything until they do his bloodwork later this afternoon to compare to baseline from yesterday. Fingers crosssed.
 

CDrew

California Garagiste
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
889
Reaction score
1,207
Location
Sacramento Metro
What causes the toxicity to dogs? Our dog used to eat table grapes off the vine in our back yard to the point we didn't get many for us. He never had an issue with them.
 

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
4,140
Reaction score
3,446
Location
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
What causes the toxicity to dogs? Our dog used to eat table grapes off the vine in our back yard to the point we didn't get many for us. He never had an issue with them.
The scientists don't really know what causes the toxicity and it varies greatly between dogs, even littermates. Some dogs don't seem very bothered by it at all, others can't handle even a few grapes or raisins.

Hope your dog pulls through with no aftereffects.
 

Booty Juice

Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2018
Messages
43
Reaction score
87
Location
CA Central Coast
Yeah it's strange. Most of the vineyards I've been to here and up north have vineyard dogs with permanently stained purple snouts.

Great looking pup, hope all is well.
 

ibglowin

Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
22,205
Reaction score
14,521
Location
Northern Nuevo Mexico
We have 2 AKC Golden Retrievers. They are 7 years old. They consume more grapes each harvest season than I could possibly count (while my back is turned) without any signs of illness. Their poop is full of grape seeds for weeks on end until I get around to netting the grapes and keeping them out so I have some left to harvest. I would not want to try this with a puppy by any means but a full grown dog (60-80lbs in weight) shows no sign of illness here. YMMV........

Glad your little guy is OK.
 

Sage

Junior Member
WMT Supporter
Joined
Aug 23, 2014
Messages
721
Reaction score
979
Neither of my labs seem bothered. I'd have stand by my grapes and destemer with a big stick to keep them out of the grapes.
 

jsbeckton

Senior Member
Joined
May 23, 2016
Messages
532
Reaction score
223
Yes, seems a like it’s a genetic lottery if any dog in particular has a reaction or not. But it they do that reaction may be kidney failure so just something to keep in mind. I couldn’t live with myself it I didn’t take him on and something happened so played it safe.

Thanks for all the kinds words.
 
Last edited:

jsbeckton

Senior Member
Joined
May 23, 2016
Messages
532
Reaction score
223
Yes, his 24hr test was good so today they will do the 48hr. As long as that’s good he comes home.
 

GreenEnvy22

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2015
Messages
494
Reaction score
656
Location
Niagara Region, Canada
Ours like to eat our grapes too, we have 30+ vines in the backyard. If she can reach them, she will. I've taken to spraying her with the hose if I see her going for them, which seems to have helped a lot.
She also looks for any skins I miss after cleaning up.
So far she's never gotten sick but you always need to remain careful.
 

VinesnBines

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2020
Messages
164
Reaction score
124
Well, 48hr blood work was ok so we were able to bring him home today. If I’ve done my math correctly this batch will be about $75/bottle 🤪
One of my best dogs was terribly expensive. He had to have two blood transfusions as a young dog (hookworms) but lived to be 15. In later life he had kidney issues which were expensive too. He has been gone two years now and I still miss him terribly.
 

Latest posts

Top