Does this look normal (sorry, I know it's a dumb question)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found an easier instruction page. Of course it was here all along, but in the tutorials forum right where it should be! I think this is a clear much easier to understand page, but personally I do not add any clarifiers till much later in the process. That means it's fine to skip the sparkolloid till much later when you've determined if you actually need it or not. It's discussing making wine from a bucket of fresh pressed grape juice (available 2X a year from several sources) but the methods are just what you need to read.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/basic-juice-fermenting-guide-14202/

Pam in cinti

Ok, an update for those kind souls still with me here.

After work tonight, I got out a brew bucket, sterilized it (yep, I'm fanatical), cleaned it with Star-San, including the lid, and dumped the must (am I getting the words right now?) into it from the carboy. It foamed up quite a lot, almost overflowing a 7 gallon bucket (when it was a bit less than 5 gals in the carboy). Foam went down after a few minutes. I drew some into the wine thief and checked it. About 054, down from 090, so it is definitely fermenting (and smelled up the room like it). The must itself smelled pleasant (grapey), and it tasted decent, too (I left a bit in the wine thief and tasted it). I put the lid on lightly, put some vodka in the airlock, and put it back in place.

I've read a bunch of different things now about how long to leave it. Do you think it's ok if I leave it for about two more weeks (pitched the yeast 5 days ago, but it didn't start fermenting until 2), then rack it off back into the carboy to clear, then maybe leave it another two weeks, maybe add some Bentonite along the way, then bottle it? (Yes, I'm impatient.) Does it really need to sit for six months in a secondary?

Thanks!

Mark

IMG_0750a.jpg

IMG_0752a.jpg

IMG_0753a.jpg

Impatience and wine making do not go together. Impatient people make beer. Beer in 6 weeks - wine typically takes much longer. Types of wine are all different but for what your doing this batch I'm going to go out on a limb and say 7-10 days in your primary bucket and then rack to secondary. Do not let it sit for 6 months! Your going to want to rack off the lees in a few weeks, degas, clear, add some k-meta and then you can leave it to bulk age for a few months. Someone will chime in with more precise directions shortly.

Oh, check out some of the beginner threads! Lots of good info. A good easy early drinking wine is danger dave's dragons blood! Dave has some great directions on his post. Try it!

You are figuring out things like I did just a few months ago!! I made several batches of various wines that need to bulk age for 1 - 2 yrs!! Sooo I found the Dragon Blood and Skeeter Pee threads and started some primaries with those in them and .... I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor almost immediately!! Dragon Blood is very cool!! Check it out

I am glad you stuck it out and decided to ask questions - everything looks good so far !

Just my personal opinion, but I would rack it to a secondary when the sg reaches < 1.000 and remains there for 2 to 3 consecutive days. This would indicate that the fermentation is done. Once you rack to the secondary, be sure to top up, leaving 1 to 2 inches of space between the wines surface and the bung with airlock. In all reality , you should leave it in the secondary for 2 to 3 months if you racked it when the sg remained stable ( under 1.000 for 2 to 3 days ). If the sediment in the bottom accumulates 1 to 2 inches thick, then you will need to rack a second time before the 2 to 3 month period is up, then top up and repeat the waiting process. I am still fairly new to wine making, but I believe this method is sound for the wine you are making.

Thanks so much, folks. I really appreciate the help. I don't think it's mold, because it is very dynamic. Foamed all up, and now it is much less visible on top of the wine. And I seem to be getting a little bit of visible airlock activity. No audible noise, but it is obviously slow.

Also, yes, I agree -- these orange caps don't seal well (although I've had beer fermenting so much I had to add a blow-off tube).

I'm thinking it was slow starting due to low temps. Basement bar, on the floor, probably low to mid 60's until I put the little heater near it. Worried about the oxygen. Will read up before next batch. I think within 24 hours I should know if this thing is fermenting or rotting....

I always set the fermenter on a stool up off the floor, you'll get a much faster start that way. And also you were worried about fermenting in bucket with a low abv its ok cuz the kmeta protects it also referred to as a clean fermentation
Hope this helps your understanding a lil

Just-a-Guy, it looks like you are being lead in the right direction.

I've read a bunch of different things now about how long to leave it. Do you think it's ok if I leave it for about two more weeks (pitched the yeast 5 days ago, but it didn't start fermenting until 2), then rack it off back into the carboy to clear, then maybe leave it another two weeks, maybe add some Bentonite along the way, then bottle it? (Yes, I'm impatient.) Does it really need to sit for six months in a secondary?

I'd like to add my two cents. The two weeks in the bucket sound good. If it loses activity suddenly, it's time to move it; there will no longer be a layer of co2 protecting your wine. It really does need to sit around for 6+ months if you want crystal clear wines, or else you will get sediment just like in your homebrew. Adding fining agents like bentonite both early and late in the process will help. Remember that the fining agents need their own time to settle out properly and use them as you think you need them. Furthermore, wines retain some carbonation just like a beer in the carboy. This is exacerbated by fermentation in the bottle, as I expect you know. Mary people deal with carboy carbonation by waiting to ensure a complete fermentation before doing "splash racking", a vacuum system, or stirring to eliminate all carbonation.

That quick guide looks pretty good in general, but make sure to read up on all the quirks of potassium metabisulfite if you ever plan to sweeten your wine. This stabilizing chemical prevents yeast growth, but it does not kill the yeast. I.e., make sure you really wait to sweeten after all yeast is dead and p-meta is added.

If you really can't wait, one month in the carboy will reveal the most of the sediment to come. Then check your hydrometer. The reading should not change within a week; you don't want more carbonation or a bottle bomb. And finally, I hope you don't mind a wine with dust inside (unless you drink it extra fast!).

Thanks, LM, very helpful.

Since my last posts, I've been reading a lot and have learned a lot. I also started another batch ("Dragon's Blood" recipe), and plan to start yet another one this coming weekend. I think I have 4 fermentation buckets so I may stop at that and use the fourth for racking etc. I plan to move to carboys after fermentation has stopped (3 days same SG), getting close on the first batch (SG under 1.000 for two days already now). And I am now thinking at least a month in the carboys, with at least one additional racking, then vacuum degassing (trying to decide now on method).

Latest posts

Back