Does this look infected??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astebbi1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I made this batch and pitched the yeast last night.. So far there's no fermentation from what I can tell.. With this recipe I normally get fermentation a few hours after pitching the yeast, but with this batch nothing started and now it looks like this..

image-2001532035.jpg

image-1060948153.jpg

I'm mainly concerned about those white clumps and the lack of continuous bubbles, it looks kind of stagnant.. So is it infected?? Anything I can do?? Thanks for your time..

-Andrew

looks like it is starting to ferment, how did you add the yeast?

Do you normally start your wine in a carboy rather than a primary? If this is what you've done, do what you can to maintain some oxygen.

Julie said:
looks like it is starting to ferment, how did you add the yeast?

I just put it in on top.. I didn't stir it in or anything, I usually don't and it turns out fine.. It just looks a bit unusual this time..

TonyP said:
Do you normally start your wine in a carboy rather than a primary? If this is what you've done, do what you can to maintain some oxygen.

Yea that's normally what I do I don't really have a bucket other than a water jug to use for primary.. Do you think I should stir it up a bit??

It is beginning to ferment, to me. I always let it rest on top the first day, then stir it in the next morning.

Your must temp may be a bit low and do not forget that we are on short days still. Yes, yeast are affected by daylight length. But I see no worries there, just wait it out. Warm it up a bit if you are worried.

I always add pectic enzyme, even to the concentrates. Cheap insurance. Probably unneeded, but it doesn't hurt anything.

John, no need to use a bucket if you are using one of the lowbrow store-bought concentrates so many of us lap up like nectar. :D I always start mine in a bucket, but they make very few lees.

jswordy said:
I always add pectic enzyme, even to the concentrates. Cheap insurance. Probably unneeded, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Thanks Js, I actually have some Pectic enzyme, about how much do you think I should add and when??

I add 1 tsp per gallon to this recipe at the beginning, prior to ferment. I really don't think it would matter if you add it now or even wait until ferment is over and add it.

Add enzyme before OR after fermentation. You didn't mention your sg anywhere. What was it when you started and did you take another reading to see if it actually did start. It's far more acurate then site and bubbles, although they help. LOL Laying yeast on must is usually only done for kits. Other then that you should follow the instructions with the yeast to get a stronger fermentation.

YES! It's Infected! Pretty soon that infection is going to take over and make rapid transformation to your juice!

It's infected with yeast. :)

Looks like it cleared up a bit.. I added that enzyme and I'm feeling more secure about it, It's also really starting to ferment.. I've never used this type of yeast before so I guess that's why it looked a little weird to me in the beginning..

Thanks for the help everyone, the jokes were pretty funny too.. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back