Do you use tap water for wine making ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tap water is fine if it's not heavy in minerals/solids and does not smell. Also if you use a water softner it's not a good idea to use it.

There have been varying views on this question. One school of thought is if the water is good to drink it is good for wine. Others use bottled water and some use distilled water. Personally, I buy bottled spring water and that is what I use. I may be wasting money because our local water is excellent, but it gives me a higher level of peace of mind.

I don't. I figure the extra $2-4 per batch for spring water is worth not having the chlorine and flouride that is in my water supply. I think it's fine, but I just choose not to use it. A while back, when I used to brew beer with a friend, we'd run several gallons through a Brita filter, and that was cheaper than buying spring water. I have read that using distilled isn't recommended.

For cleaning/sanitizing and mixing with Meta and other cleaners/sanitizers, I do use tap water.

What's your concern about the water? Microbes or minerals/lack of minerals (leading to failed fermentation)? Boiling would certainly take care of them, but there may be other yucks in there that might not be best for your wine.

Another 'solution' would be to use kits that require no water addition or only use fresh grapes. That avoids the issue altogether. :)

Water softened with a salt type softener can impart some unusual tastes especially due to the high sodium content. I would suggest a water analysis from a reputable lab. After reading lots of information on labs, I sent one to Ward Labs. The report was quickly emailed to me and the results were surprising. Total Dissolved Solids and Sodium were way over the limits.

I recently installed a reverse osmosis water system and what a difference it has made in my wine and beer. To perform a true comparison, when you make your next batch split it. Use tap water for half the batch and RO or spring water for the other half. After it is ready to drink, invite some friends over for a evening of blind wine tasting and ask them to help decide which wine tastes better. It just may surprise you--plus it's fun!

What's your concern about the water? Microbes or minerals/lack of minerals (leading to failed fermentation)? Boiling would certainly take care of them, but there may be other yucks in there that might not be best for your wine.

Another 'solution' would be to use kits that require no water addition or only use fresh grapes. That avoids the issue altogether. :)

There are many concerns about water, from microbes to minerals and fluoride to other additives. Of course some wine makers have well water, which adds to the potential problems.

I don't believe boiling takes care of additive issues. For example, iron in water is not lost through boiling.

There are many concerns about water, from microbes to minerals and fluoride to other additives. Of course some wine makers have well water, which adds to the potential problems.

I don't believe boiling takes care of additive issues. For example, iron in water is not lost through boiling.

I agree. I apparently edited out the part that said boiling would eliminate the microbes, but for minerals, boiling would effectively concentrate the mineral content.

I'm going to use a 5 gallon carboy of spring water that I bought a few storms ago, its just sitting here in the way, the next batch of red dragon Melomel will get the star treatment...lol

My water here in Alabama tastes like wine. It works very well.
I am Jealous. I wish my water in Ohio tasted like wine. Then again after awhile it does taste like wine after I have added it to my wine kits. I do have reverse osmosis filtering system that I use. It works quite well.

May I ask why you use water in your wine process apart from cleaning???
I thought it was crush, press then ferment.

Thanks for that ;)
I knew Calcium Carbonate did this - but can leave a chalky taste if too much is used, also potassium bicarbonate, but using water to lower acid is a new one for me ;)
This is a great site ;)

Thanks for that ;)
I knew Calcium Carbonate did this - but can leave a chalky taste if too much is used, also potassium bicarbonate, but using water to lower acid is a new one for me ;)
This is a great site ;)
When you use water to reduce your acid ensure you add the proper amount of sugar to it to bring it up to the same sg as your must.

Weaver, water is also added to fresh crushed grapes if the Brix reading is too high, as can result from water evaporating out of the grapes prior to harvest. Water is added to "cut" the Brix down to something that would result in a not too hot wine.

No salt in water softener water!

Huge misconception here about water softener water. There is NO salt in water that goes through a water softener. The salt in softeners is used to recharge the minerals in the mineral tank only. And that water goes away on the final rinse of the softener cycle.

I know this because I had my water tested coming from the water softener when we lived in MI and had a water softener and the water contained NO salt.

Ask any reputable water softener company and they will tell you the same thing.

Here in NC we have perfect well water - odorless and colorless and very soft (pH is 6.0 and TA is 60) tastes better than any bottled water one can buy. A 200' deep well probably makes a difference.

Last edited:
I have used straight tap water and filtered water that takes out the chlorine, can't say I could tell the difference so I have been just using straight tap water since.

Latest posts

Back