Options other than bags to store wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellothere123

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
I used to use glass wine bottles but it became time consuming. So I store wine in the plastic bags the kits come in. I bought the tap for the bags and it’s an ok system.
I’m looking for a glass or plastic solution instead of using bags. Is there an Air tight container I could use with a tap. I was even looking for a system where I could put a tap or syphon directly onto the glass carboy. But that looks unlikely.
We make kits and use the wine within a month. So wondering what I could use? Thankyou

But if is airtight, then you would create a vacuum as you removed wine. You would need to replace that space with an inert gas.

Many people use Corny kegs, and use argon gas to backfill the space. Here is a search on this site for that: Search results for query: corny keg
Could I use the blue water jugs that most people use for camping?
Or even water jug you have for water in the office and put a water jug pump on top?

Would that work?
When you fill a glass from a water cooler the jug bubbles as air replaces the liquid. This is what Paul is saying. Without replacing the air you would create a vacuum and no wine would come out. So you would need a bladder system, but why bother if you are already using bags. The only other option would be a vessel that you can replace the wine with a gas, like a corny keg.

I recently saw a beer setup for sale with everything you need to make beer and a keg system. I considered paying $500 for the lot just so I had the gas bottle and keg system. Just to give you an idea of how much that would cost.

The only reason the bag works is because the bag volume decreases as you empty it. Anything rigid needs a gas to replace the volume of the wine, as your wine will spoil if you introduce air.

When you fill a glass from a water cooler the jug bubbles as air replaces the liquid. This is what Paul is saying. Without replacing the air you would create a vacuum and no wine would come out. So you would need a bladder system, but why bother if you are already using bags. The only other option would be a vessel that you can replace the wine with a gas, like a corny keg.

I recently saw a beer setup for sale with everything you need to make beer and a keg system. I considered paying $500 for the lot just so I had the gas bottle and keg system. Just to give you an idea of how much that would cost.

The only reason the bag works is because the bag volume decreases as you empty it. Anything rigid needs a gas to replace the volume of the wine, as your wine will spoil if you introduce air.
Interesting 🤔. Things you learn. Thankyou for the help

Hello all,
I used to use glass wine bottles but it became time consuming. So I store wine in the plastic bags the kits come in. I bought the tap for the bags and it’s an ok system.
I’m looking for a glass or plastic solution instead of using bags. Is there an Air tight container I could use with a tap. I was even looking for a system where I could put a tap or syphon directly onto the glass carboy. But that looks unlikely.
We make kits and use the wine within a month. So wondering what I could use? Thankyou
Hey there,

Have you considered using stainless steel wine growlers or wine kegs? They're air-tight, durable, and many come with built-in taps. They're great for storing wine short-term and are very convenient. If you're keen on glass, there are large glass dispensers with spigots that might serve your purpose. Always ensure whatever you use is food-grade and suitable for storing wine. Cheers to many more delightful wines!

Best,
Qasim

Latest posts

Back