Wine from Grapes - degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakisPakis

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I started 6G wine (Fosch, Delaware). I want to use as less chemicals as possible. No clarifying agents etc. So I will let it sit in a glass carboy for months. I got some guidance from a brew store and there was no degassing step.My question is if I should degas at the same step as the kits say.
How is the CO2 is bein removed without degassing.
Thanks

Kits require degassing because of the short kit timeline to bottling, typically 4 to 8 weeks. Wine will degas with time, although depending on circumstances, that can take up to a year, although typically far less.

A few years back I started degassing all wines as it facilitates clearing as particles can be held in suspension by CO2. IME any instructions for whipping the wine for 10 or 20 minutes are wrong. I generally stir for 1 minute with a drill-mounted stirring rod, changing direction once. Note -- this does not completely degas the wine and it is not intended to. It expels a lot of CO2 and jump starts the process, which completes over the following weeks.

Hello,
I started 6G wine (Fosch, Delaware). I want to use as less chemicals as possible. No clarifying agents etc. So I will let it sit in a glass carboy for months. I got some guidance from a brew store and there was no degassing step.My question is if I should degas at the same step as the kits say.
How is the CO2 is bein removed without degassing.
Thanks
CO2 comes out of solution naturally over time. If you intend to allow your wine to sit for months, it will degas naturally on its own, long before it's ready to drink. If you intend to accelerate your wine schedule, as @winemaker81 suggested, you can degas using one of the many available degassing techniques.

Latest posts

Back