Do you use tap water for wine making ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On well water with high iron and magnesium going through a softener. I use bottled spring water. At 50 to 75 cent a gallon, it's cheap.
Natural spring water?
Do you really believe it?
It is a marketing terminology
Do you believe that a mass produced bottled water can be sourced from mountain springs as shown on the bottles?
Regardless how your tap water tastes, it must contain chlorine, the best thing to do is to filter it.
I recently listened to a Professor of Enology from UC Davis where he was strongly recommending filtering the tap water with charcoal filters.

Natural spring water?
Do you believe that a mass produced bottled water can be sourced from mountain springs as shown on the bottles?
Regardless how your tap water tastes, it must contain chlorine, the best thing to do is to filter it.
I recently listened to a Professor of Enology from UC Davis where he was strongly recommending filtering the tap water with charcoal filters.
The spring water sources in this area are legitimate. You can drive to them and see the facility in operation. I'm not talking about Dasani and other sellers of bottled municipal tap water.

On well water with high iron and magnesium going through a softener. I use bottled spring water. At 50 to 75 cent a gallon, it's cheap.
A normal home softener adds sodium (salt) as it removes minerals. For lab use I had disposable deionization cartridges which produced water almost as good as distilled.

"If you won't drink the wine, don't cook with it"

I use water from my Brita pitcher.

Last edited:
Natural spring water?
why yes i believe them, of course dad said i didn't know a mules tail from a pump handle, jeeze yeller water is just ripe water and it only happened a few times anyhow,,, lol
Dawg

I wouldn't use tap water at all. House pipes contain minerals and contaminants. I would use (and drink) filtered water through a pitcher or buy spring water in glass bottles. There also was a website I used to look at, Find A Spring - Home, where you can find places in your area where you can go fill up natural spring water.

If I carry this forward I would not consume any reconstitused beverage where the ingredient list says “filtered water”. The filters are fairly porous/ high volume. Turbidity in processing/ingredient water was worse when the city was pumping surface/reservoir water.
I wouldn't use tap water at all. House pipes contain minerals and contaminants. I would use (and drink) filtered water through a pitcher or buy spring water in glass bottles. There also was a website I used to look at, Find A Spring - Home, where you can find places in your area where you can go fill up natural spring water.

i use well water through 243 foot of lime stone,
Dawg

I have used a 1 gallon distiller for all my cooking and drinking water for almost 40 years. So of course I use distilled water when necessary for wine too.

I have used a 1 gallon distiller for all my cooking and drinking water for almost 40 years. So of course I use distilled water when necessary for wine too.
what is your general area and do you use well water or city water or county rural water . water quality varies greatly. i am very blessed to have 243 feet deep limestone well water also known as sweetwater, not to mention that most of my fruits and berries comes from my land or my neighbors land, i supply my neighbors with free farm fresh eggs, and they help me out with free farm fresh wild berries and fruits,,,
Dawg,,,

FROM HOMEBREWIT.COM:
Distilled water is the result of a process of removing all the minerals from the water solution; this can be done via distillation methods or reverse osmosis. We don’t recommend using distilled water during the kit winemaking process, there are key chemical elements that yeast uses in order to produce wine. The most important minerals are magnesium and potassium, which are important in the biochemical process of yeast converting sugars into alcohol, ethanol fermentation, and phosphate, which is necessary for yeast growth.

If distilled water is the only type of water you have available, then you will need to add yeast nutrient to ensure the necessary minerals are in the solution for the yeast to operate properly. This is an easily avoidable additional step, just use a different type of water.

• Our Suggestion: Do not use distilled water for winemaking.

From ECKRAUS.COM

I would like to mention again that using distilled water in your wine making does not mean you have ruined your wine, but what it does mean is that you need to take some simple actions to mitigate the effects of the distilled water. By adding yeast nutrient and magnesium sulfate you can go on to have a great tasting wine.

FROM HOMEBREWIT.COM:
Distilled water is the result of a process of removing all the minerals from the water solution; this can be done via distillation methods or reverse osmosis. We don’t recommend using distilled water during the kit winemaking process, there are key chemical elements that yeast uses in order to produce wine. The most important minerals are magnesium and potassium, which are important in the biochemical process of yeast converting sugars into alcohol, ethanol fermentation, and phosphate, which is necessary for yeast growth.

If distilled water is the only type of water you have available, then you will need to add yeast nutrient to ensure the necessary minerals are in the solution for the yeast to operate properly. This is an easily avoidable additional step, just use a different type of water.

• Our Suggestion: Do not use distilled water for winemaking.
superb,,,,, that's new knowledge,

what is your general area and do you use well water or city water or county rural water . water quality varies greatly. i am very blessed to have 243 feet deep limestone well water also known as sweetwater, not to mention that most of my fruits and berries comes from my land or my neighbors land, i supply my neighbors with free farm fresh eggs, and they help me out with free farm fresh wild berries and fruits,,,
Dawg,,,

We have city water which has the maximum amount of all the 100's of chemicals allowed by law so I will start adding yeast nutrient.

Doesn‘t boiling drive the O2 out and the yeasties need the O2.

I am missing something here. When the plant team members operate a vacuum evaporator the condenser does not foul up with magnesium sulfate or any other minerals. We assume we are taking 99.99% water vapor out and 0.01% volatile aroma compounds.
When I use distilled in the lab I assume I have 100% water and the only thing different from what the factory evaporator removed is aroma compounds.
. . but what it does mean is that you need to take some simple actions to mitigate the effects of the distilled water. By adding yeast nutrient and magnesium sulfate you can go on to have a great tasting wine.

My well water makes very good wine kits as well as fruit wines. The well is 60’ deep in a water producing seam of sand. Magnesium is high but most dissipates when it leaves the aerated tap. My feeling is if your tap water is drinkable, no serious off odor, color or taste, then there is no reason to purchase bottled water. My winemaking mentor is a city dweller so he purchases bottled water to avoid using chlorinated water.

Latest posts

Back