Dividing out Malo Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
This spring I'll be doing Chilean wine and I plan to purchase some dry malo culture. Given the bacteria is to be used for large quantities then I'll be making, is there a rule of thumb for how many grams per gallon, per five gallon? Thanks

I believe More Wine sells malo for 5 gallon batches. probably can by elsewhere also.

normally supplied for 66 gallon is 2.5 grams. can divide using good scale or make a starter and the divide using liquid measurements.

The packets that I get have the treatment size right on the packet. Doesn't your MLB have the same?

If need be, I just scale it to whatever size batch I have. I use a scale that goes down to .01 grams.

Making a starter solution works well especially for dry cultures that may be hard to accurately weigh in such small quantities. To make the dry MLB they mix it up with a binder of sorts before freeze drying. The process should make a nice homogenous solution but you very well could be weighing out a small piece of binder with absolutely no or very minimal MLB inside when doing small dry weighings.

Be advised that making a starter will likely impact the viability of your MLB should you not use the entire dose of bacteria.

Latest posts

Back