Degassing Tool Options / Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That my friend is a lot of wine. I wouldnt worry about the bench to much. It does the job. Could you imagine all of the tax that you would have had to pay ifin you paid for that wine at the store?

In case you miss it in my post uner home vineyards, here is a picture of some of the whites in the picture on the last page after they have cleared.

20090320_071525_100_4882_Medium.jpg

Show off!!!
smiley4.gif
I would too though. I have been proud of the seven gallons I got going here.

Appleman,

Nice pix. what do you have inside? When you gonna bottle?

You trying to catch up to me? Just bottled 5 cases last nite. Down to only 21 carboys aging.

Thank god the chilean juice is coming in soon.

Tepe, these are afraction of my currently bulking wines. They are all hybrid grapes I grow here myself. If you check out the Post -Champlain Valley vineyard under Home Vineyards, go to the last page and you will see more. If you want to look through about 90 pages of posts, you can track the vines from planting to now as wine.

Mine is still a pile of parts in the back room. This photo will help me get my rear in gear Wade
smiley1.gif

wade said:
I had the plastic one for 2 years and had no problems at all and I made a lot of wine during those 2 years. Asai, the water filter set up will only work with an electric vacuum pump like a few of us have. Here is a picture of the set up and just imagine a filter set up right in between the 2 carboys.
2-2.jpg

appleman said:
Tepe, these are afraction of my currently bulking wines. They are all hybrid grapes I grow here myself. If you check out the Post -Champlain Valley vineyard under Home Vineyards, go to the last page and you will see more. If you want to look through about 90 pages of posts, you can track the vines from planting to now as wine.

Appleman,
Yes you have a nice vineyard. I however don't recognize some of the varieties you grow. Looks like I need to do more reading on other grapes.
When you destem and press how much do you make at a time. I guess you have some large SS fermentators.

Tepe you don't recognize many of the varieties because they are just about all French American hybrids, not vinifera. I need cold hardy varieties up here because of the severe weather. I am still an amateur, so still do things small scale. The largest fermenters I use are 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes. You can do 3-4 carboys worth of wine in them at a time. They work well, are food-safe and clean up great. They also stack when not in use.

Can the GasGetter provide enough vacuum to transfer at a reasonable rate or is it primarily only for degassing?

Question for you guys that have used a vacuum pump to rack.

Is there any hazard or safety concerns due to implosion?

Your pulling a vacuum on an empty carboy until you get enough to pull the wine over and start filling the receiving carboy?

Am I missing something here?

ibglowin said:
Question for you guys that have used a vacuum pump to rack.

Is there any hazard or safety concerns due to implosion?

Your pulling a vacuum on an empty carboy until you get enough to pull the wine over and start filling the receiving carboy?

Am I missing something here?

I would say there is always a slight risk when applying vacuum to glass. But I think its minimal. When racking you use -10 to -12 of suction and thats shut off immediately when you finish racking.

As a precaution I always put my carboy in either the sink or the bath tub or a container to degas just in case of implosion. Everything should implode and move inward (ie the glass shouldn't violently fly across the room towards your jugulars), so make an effort to contain the mess just in case you do break the glass.

Never leave it unattended while vacuum is applied.

Try a Better Bottle if you want to see a carboy implode- they get sucked right in so can't be used to rack with a vacumn.

Really though, if the carboy isn't cracked it shouldn't be a problem. It has to do with the cylindrical shape- like trying to break an egg from the ends.

LOL Appleman!

Hey, for an inexpensive way to degas small batches, I think that Waldo posted something about those little vacuum pumps that they use with food bags...? I think it was Waldo. I remember there was a video link, because after I saw it I went and bought a Reynolds "Handi-Vac" for about $9. It fits right over the hole in a 7 1/2 bung and I've degassed six batches with it so far (original batteries). Very easy to use and inexpensive (thanks, Waldo - you are the McGuyver of wine-making).

Id say racking the wine has almost no chance of a problem as you dont really need much vacuum to do this. I can transfer pretty easy at around 8" of vacuum. As for degassing that a little different but I dont go above 22" and cant as thats where mine maxes out but have been doing this for some time between the electric and the handheld Mity Vac with no problems. Theres nothing better then racking from the floor up to my carboy on the counter without lifting that thing and hurting my back like the past a few times.

Chopper, I have been using my plastic whip drill attachmentfor over two yrs and it has not broken or fallen apart.
smiley4.gif

I purchased last year a unit called GAS GETTER model # 807 (website to purchase is winegasgetter.com). The unit works unbelieveable. I was skeptical at first but when the unit arrived the quality of it was way beyond my expectations. The gentleman who owns the company is Rhone Lahr. I was his very first customer and there is going to be an article in the April May 2009edition of WINEMAKER magazine.
After degassing my wine with this unit it tasted spectactular, I received so many compliments on my wine. I will never bottle wine prior to degassing it with the gasgetter.

Yes but it is very powerful and degasses wine to flat in about 20 - 30 minutes but the best thing about it is that you do not have to be there, just hook it up and come back in 20-30 minutes. It is well worth the money but you do need a compressor to run the system.

Latest posts

Back