Degassing Tool Options / Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
I've been looking at degassing tools on the internet today. I was wondering if I could solicit some advice from this group.

"The Whip" drill attachment for $9.95 looked OK. It's all plastic, and really fits the budget. Though I've read it can be a little difficult to handle.

Then there's a similar product that has a stainless steel shaft, and plastic paddles. I believe it's called the "Fizz-X". Of course, it's a little more expensive than "The Whip".

And for all I know, there may be an even better device out there. I saw some machines that use vacuum pressure to extract gas from wine. But I imagine these are expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've used both and that stainless steel shaft is worth the extra money. I have also used the similar to the fizz-x, its shaft was plastic, don't waste your money on that either. You'll be happier and save money but just buying the one with a stainless steel shaft.
VPC

IMO the Fizz-X is a better tool unless you want to sacrifice a rubber od silicone bung as the Mix stir looks a little better but does not have the stopper at the top to help keep the tool centered in the carboy. I also must add that you really do want this tool in your arsenal for mixing up bentonite and other things among helping degassing, Even with the electric degassing pump I have, I wouldnt do without it. The Mity Vac hand brake brake is a great tool also but now that I have this electric vacuum pump I would never go back to that and gave mine to a friend. Now for the best tool there is, the electric vacuum pump, this item is not really that expensive especially if you watch ebay and get a good deal on it as mine was $115 but my other friend bought a good one for $65. You can rack up hill with these, you can degass in no time and with a Buon Vino Automatic Auto Bottle Gravity Filler you can bottle with it and then if thats not enough for you, you can et a whole house filter at Walmart or a home improvement store for about $27 and youll be able to filter with it also.

I bought the plasticshaft version of the fizz-xafter seeing it being used on George's Videos, before my first degassing. I have been happy with it for the 2 or 3 times I used it. I do recognize the advice of go for the SS model, from the folks that use it more than once a month. ALSO, highly reccomend getting a Brake Bleeder for follow up to the stir method. I did based on posting here. After research, the plastic Mity-Vac was on sale at Harbor Freight for $36.95. When I went to purchase, the loaded with Chineese Lead high end Brass model was on clearance for $19.99. It looks just like the one the other store sells for $64.99 on line. I have been well please with this purchase also.
So, now I have the toys; I need to learn how to DE-GAS. Think I understand from postings; no matter the experience level, it just depends on the batch of wine to what happens next.

Wade, could you please start a thread with more info and directions on the Wal Mart whole house filter option. I may need to start filtering before bottling in the future. Unless, I can get my using the auto-siphon as a racking tube not for a lees stirrer skills improved. For now, I am getting real good with pouring wine from a bottle and leaving the sediment behind.

The "whip" creates to much air in my opinion.

I did have the plastic degasser one and the shaft broke. Since then I got the metal shaft one. Works great and can replace the "wings" should they break.

tepe said:
The "whip" creates to much air in my opinion.

I did have the plastic degasser one and the shaft broke. Since then I got the metal shaft one. Works great and can replace the "wings" should they break.

So, Exactly what kind of wine were you making, that had such strong gas that would break such a well built intrument?
smiley29.gif

I had the plastic one for 2 years and had no problems at all and I made a lot of wine during those 2 years. Asai, the water filter set up will only work with an electric vacuum pump like a few of us have. Here is a picture of the set up and just imagine a filter set up right in between the 2 carboys.
2-2.jpg

So, Exactly what kind of wine were you making, that had such strong gas that would break such a well built intrument?
smiley29.gif
[/QUOTE]

Called being Stupid or lazy. I left the drill on with it still in the carboy and &^*% it broke where the metal shaft stopped in the plastic stem.
smiley19.gif

YES even the "experienced" have #^%$
smiley36.gif

I purchased last year a unit called GAS GETTER model # 807 (website to purchase is winegasgetter.com). The unit works unbelieveable. I was skeptical at first but when the unit arrived the quality of it was way beyond my expectations. The gentleman who owns the company is Rhone Lahr. I was his very first customer and there is going to be an article in the April May 2009edition of WINEMAKER magazine.
After degassing my wine with this unit it tasted spectactular, I received so many compliments on my wine. I will never bottle wine prior to degassing it with the gasgetter.

Also I forgot to mention that I can degass four 5 gal carboys at once and he has units that will degass I think up to 8 or ten at a time. Check out the website I think you will be interested in this product.

Coriasco, I saw the demo on the lines and tubing. Does he sell the degasser pump also?

There is an article in this months WineMaker magazine abouit it too.

It isnt a pump I believe, Im pretty sure you just use an air compressor like you can buy at Home Depot or the like!

You need a compressor for the unit to work. Call Rhone up and he will tell you what size compressor you will need for the unit that you are interested in. Mention my name if you call John L Coriasco

I think I paid $85.00 for my gasgetter (it can degass four 5 gal carboys at once). I do not know how much I paid for my compressor I purchased it about 4 years ago. I do some carpentry work on the side and I had a compressor. You can purchase a compressor at Lowes or Home Depot for under $200.00 (just get compressor you do not have to purchase the nail gun). Sometimes they sell a compressor nail gun combo you only need the compressor. Like I said earlier this made a huge difference in the quality of my wine.

Like you, I have a compressor so I would be looking at approximately $85. Not bad. Since I make my wines in the laundry room, I would have to set my compressor up in the garage and run a hose into thee laundry room which is not going to be popular. But, since this method works so quickly, it might not be too much of a problem.

One last question, how do you control the pressure on this device--the regulator on the compressor?

wade said:
I had the plastic one for 2 years and had no problems at all and I made a lot of wine during those 2 years. Asai, the water filter set up will only work with an electric vacuum pump like a few of us have. Here is a picture of the set up and just imagine a filter set up right in between the 2 carboys.
2-2.jpg

I will be glad when I get to where Wade is. I just have the cheap ole "whip" and its working ok for now. I am gonna get the Wade setup soon.

Yeah Wade is a neat freak, which is great. His has a very slick setup. I'm more of a just get it done guy as in these pictures from last fall.

Here are some pictures from racking with my little aspirator vacumn pump. Don't worry, it was new and not used for it's intended purposes.
smiley5.gif

Here is the pump- excuse the crude bench- it is in place for holding all the carboys I need to fill(or at least some).

20081015_094243_100_4656_Medium.jpg

It takes about 8 inches for it to work best and moves about a gallon a minute with the 3/8" hose.
Stick the racking cane in the source- this one is NY76.0844.24
and it moves it through the tube to the waiting carboy

20081015_094431_100_4653_Medium.jpg
20081015_094521_100_4654_Medium.jpg
20081015_094551_100_4655_Medium.jpg

20081015_094804_100_4655_Medium.jpg
20081015_094828_100_4665_Medium.jpg
20081015_094923_100_4668_Medium.jpg

And onto the LaCrosse brute container.

20081015_094958_100_4666_Medium.jpg

Getting done with them
20081015_095045_100_4669_Medium.jpg

Did a Frontenac Gris and Vignoles

20081015_095147_100_4670_Medium.jpg

And now "The Whole Shebang"

20081015_095235_100_4671_Medium.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Edit:
I know someone is going to ask - maybe you Wade? so I will give the answer first. The blue painters tape is to make sure the bungs stay put. My local wine shop only carries #7 bungs and when they are new they tend to pop out. I tape them in for a while to make sure they don't pop out. I have had it happen before to me. Like a dummy I forgot to order more multi-fit bungs and airlocks from George before I needed them.

Back