Degassing Techniques...Need everyones input please!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a you-tube video that shows an interesting way to degas wine in a carboy, but because I am a junior member I am not allowed to post links, so I will break this link up to avoid being red flagged. In order to watch it you will have to remove the spaces between the characters.
h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = Z j L 8 0 h X k H d I
Perhaps a senior member can stitch the link back together for others to see.
I haven't tried it yet but will try it at my next bottling session.
Has anybody tried this and what are your thoughts?

Here is the link not broken up: Thanks for the video link Buddy! And thanks to everyone else for posting their information on how they degas!! I really appreciate it and I hope other new wine makers like myself will find this information useful!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

Last edited:
Everything that Wade E did except that I no longer try to degas. After 4 vacuum rackings, there is no gas or at lease no discernable gas. My pump looks like Running Wolf's but I think mine is a little bigger, not in size but vacuum. It is the 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump from Harbor Freight. Works great. :b

Which vacuum racking item do you have or use? If it is degassed after only 4 racking using this item it seems well worth it as long as it is not $1000 bucks ha. Thanks for the info

Thank you everyone for posting your information about your different techniques. Some other information that would really help people like myself in the future would be the steps you take while degassing or the timeline you use to degas. I found an older post where Wade said with his wine he believes it is degassed when using his vacuum pump. He sets it at 20 on the gauge and if it drops below 16 on the gauge in a 1/2 an hour then it is not degassed. If it does not drop below 16 then it is degassed. I am trying this method at the moment so thanks again to Wade and everyone else that has posted on this thread! I really appreciate it!!!!!!! :dg:b:db:h:ib

I watched the video and found it interesting - this is the same vacuum pump I use, but I did not think this pump could generate enough negative pressure to degas a carboy; perhaps I was wrong.
Another thing is the size of the bubbles the chap describes. I have been under the impression that the small bubbles are CO2 and the large bubbles are a sign to stop degassing. The video describes the small bubbles as sulphur dioxide and the larger as carbon dioxide. Again it seems I was wrong.
What are others' experiences/thoughts about this?

That video looks good but for the same price or less you can get a Mityvac brake bleeder from Harbor freight and it has a guage and everything. It is amazing how much gass you get out with it and it is really not that much work. :db

I Started out using Tums then i switched to Prilosec, that seems to work good for me, :) :D just kidden

I have found that cussing at the wine for all those dang bubbles helps a lot. Course, it doesn't do anything for the gas issue but it sure makes me feel better sometimes. I don't understand how you can have two carboys sitting next to each other. One has cleared and is ready to bottle / drink. The other one is rolling in bubbles. Same wine, recipe, fermentation and processing. Can't understand why one is and one isn't.

The smaller bubbles are C02 and the bigger bubbles are just vacuum being pulled through your wine. When fermentation is finished I degas my wine right then and there is little if any S02 in the wine at that moment and there is usually tons of the smaller bubbles!

Thanks Wade for confirming that the small bubbles are the CO2.

I dont think this guy really has his facts straight. The gas in your wine before you degass does not make your bottles blow, its post bottling fermentation by the yeast or bacteria that makes the new gas that pops corks. If you want to know what size bubbles CO2 makes shake up a soda and watch the bubbles, they are small like at the beginning of degassing, your wine is saturated with CO2, much more than with sulphur gas. Also with using the vacuvin, you have to pump that sucker hundreds of times and using one of those bungs is a good way to have is sucked into your carboy or crack the lip, better to use one of those pretty orange caps with the 2 outlets. Crackedcork

Here is the link not broken up: Thanks for the video link Buddy! And thanks to everyone else for posting their information on how they degas!! I really appreciate it and I hope other new wine makers like myself will find this information useful!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI

DSCN2329.jpg

Dan, safety note, that gallon jug is not meant to pull a vacuum, the glass is thin and can implode easily, you might want to wrap it with duct tape to keep the glass from flying all around when it implodes.

Crackedcork

Dan, safety note, that gallon jug is not meant to pull a vacuum, the glass is thin and can implode easily, you might want to wrap it with duct tape to keep the glass from flying all around when it implodes.

Crackedcork

Hey thanks for the tip. Actually I just picked up some jugs on craigs list and I think I'll use the one I like least for this use. I can put this one back in line for juice. I had these displayed like they are just for the picture. I usually keep the pump and jug together in a milk crate. But just the same I am going to take your advice. Love the forum, we all learn something from each other.

Oh yes, I didnt even see that. Do you remember Jobe on FVW? He imploded a gallon jug with a foodsaver pump and those dont have as strong a vac as your pump.

I have found that cussing at the wine for all those dang bubbles helps a lot. Course, it doesn't do anything for the gas issue but it sure makes me feel better sometimes. I don't understand how you can have two carboys sitting next to each other. One has cleared and is ready to bottle / drink. The other one is rolling in bubbles. Same wine, recipe, fermentation and processing. Can't understand why one is and one isn't.
Next time do your cussing straight on, not out of the side of your mouth. :b

DeGassing

I found out tonite that you can't use a vacuum pump to de gas using a 4 gallon plastic water carboy. It will suck it flat at about 15 inches. I shook it and sloshed it around and will hope for the best..

Semper Fi

I tried using the vacuum on my food saver. Not quite strong enough. Looking for a used vacuum pump.

Latest posts

Back