Degassing - how do these measure up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
What is your experience using the following drill attachments for degassing:

• Fizz-X Agitator Rod
  • The Wine Whip Degasser
  • The Stainless Steel Mix Stir
  • Three Prong De-Gasser and Aerator
I need to start degassing my wine more efficiently, it is amazing just how much the Co2 effects the wine.
If I am lucky, my family and in laws will get me gift certs this Christmas and for my birthday instead of goofy stuff that i'll put on a shelf and never use.
I'd really like to get an All in one Pump for racking, bottling and degassing, how do those with the All in one pump like theirs?

Thanks,
Tom

I have the stainless steel mix stir. It stirs nicely, but I do not see hardly any gas come out of the wine when degasssing. A manual long spoon paddle swished back and forth did a lot more. Perhaps my drill doesn't spin fast enough? I spin it in both directions But it just does not seem to work for me. A vacu vin pump pulled out a lot gas, but it takes a lot of time. Also, a brake bleeding kit works, but again, a lot of pumping over and extended period.

I am also looking at the allinone wine pump so it will be interesting how people say that works at degassing.

I used the wine whip and give it a 1 on a scale of 1 to whatever. Then I got the Fizz X and it did well until I touched the bottom after some tasting. After that is was just a stainless stick. That all in one pump looks like the gadget to own.

My experience talking:
1. Stay away from the whip, after using it, it left white floaties in my wine I believe from the plastic it is made, I had to filter the wine to get rid of them.
2. The allinonepump is the best degaser you can possibe use, I am very happy with it, and it doesn't require any extra steps, the wine gets fully degased just by racking between carboys. (if you believe in Santa you should put it in your list:)).

Last edited:
I tried everything but never could get 100 percent of the CO2 out. Finally got the all in one and it is awesome. Wish i hadnt waited so long.

Thanks for the info, I would be surprised if I didn't get an All in One this Christmas, I can't wait.

Pulled the trigger on an allinone today based on the great reviews. Looking forward to my life getting easier when racking, degassing, and bottling.

If I had not already bought a Enlomatic I would buy an Allinone, but not for degassing as I primairly use Better Bottles. I've good luck just splash racking one time then using a spoon after. I have 2 different drill driven degassers and always go back to the spoon.

I would love to do the filter too. I have a mini jet but this seems so much easier. Wish it was a super all in one with filter kit as Canadian customs gets us on the filters. Hopefully a fellow canuk can source the filter kit.

that is the most expensive way to go, they put a custums duty on weather or not the custums impose one. I have every thing sent by mail, its cheaper and you only pay the customs if your package gets taged. I have bought a lot online and only paid customs maybe 3 times.

From all the information I have reviewed, is that USPS is defintley the cheapest way to go. If anyone want to ship any other way I am more than happily to ship that route.

I can send you a filteration system, but it first has to be deiliverd to my resident and then I have to reship it to Canada - I can not picture where there could be a cost savings in that.

my statment stands, the only way i will buy from the US is if it goes by postal service.

As a business owner, strictly online sales, the most cost effective way to ship to Canada, and to most international locations is USPS, not only are they much cheaper, but usually are faster too.

my statment stands, the only way i will buy from the US is if it goes by postal service.

Offdagrid -
You may want to look back on you post prior to this when you mentioned
USPS is the most expensive way to go. I believe you might of misread it and thought of UPS instead of (USPS - United States Postal Service )

Sorry to much wine!!
onion_msn_smileys-26.gif

Latest posts

Back