De Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcavan01

Reaction score
I just went through the Jack Keller web site and read nothing about degassing. If you rack and age the wine in a slow and timely manner, is degassing really neccessary?

That all depends on the wine. A lot of my fruit wines, all I do is rack and age and normally do not need to degass. You just need to pay attention to your wine and see if it needs degassed. I would look at each wine and decided then if it needs degassed or not.

Five yrs. ago I didn't know what de-gassing was. My kit Cab's were fizzie & I didn't know why, now I Know there weren't de-gassed properly. Also had a Peach Wine that was a little gassy. I started de-gassing with a de-gassing tool in my 18V drill, worked pretty well. Would have been better if my temp's were higher,[should be close to 75*] Now I vacuum rack & de-gas at the same time & use a brew belt to make sure the temp is 75*. When you de-gas your wines they will clear faster also. Most of my wines are bulk aged in glass carboys for 8-12 mo. & they still didn't de-gas enough naturally, probably because the temps. were low, 62-68* Roy

I second FTC's advice WRT degassing and clearing. Just bottled my first batch, a kit cab sauv, which I only degassed for about four minutes before adding fining agents. The CO2 prevented the agents from working properly, and I can already tell this wine will throw a sediment. I could alleviate this by bulk ageing for longer, but am space restricted to one carboy and wanted to free it up. Even if you're bulk ageing and not using fining agents, dissolved CO2 will keep solids in solution for longer.

Latest posts

Back