Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dangerdave said:
This week, I've been cleaning and reorganizing my Lab for the upcoming flood of bottles. I have about 450 bottles to clean and delabel, and I hope to get those done soon. Needless to say, I had to clear some shelves.

I have four carboys waiting to be bottled, all which should be in clear bottles, I think, to show off their individual beauty. ;)

Here's the line-up...from right to left...cherry-lemon (Le Mon Cheri), blueberry-lemon (Jet Blue), raspberry white zinfandel...and...what?

What is that orange one, you might ask? :HB

Well, guess then! What do you think it is?

Is it strawberry skeeter pee?

Good guess, Josh, but no. It does kinda look like some strawberry skeeter pee I once made.

dangerdave said:
Good guess, Josh, but no. It does kinda look like some strawberry skeeter pee I once made.

Dang thought I had it, is it strawberry something?

Nope. Not strawberry something (though I know why you might think so) and not Dragon Blood. :)

Is it a raspberry, cranberry, or cherry blend of some sort? Cherry-skeeter-pee, maybe? I have cherry aging right now and I could see it bringing that color to something if I blended it with something yellowish in color (Like SP or a white wine).

I'm guessing it's wine :D

We have a winner! :)

Seriously, anyway. This is my orange-lemon. I made a straight skeeter pee and added 10 oz of orange zest. It has a great tangy orange flavor with a nice lemon background. Unfortunately, it totally lacked any orange color, so...um...I added a dab of red food coloring (a mere 0.5ml). Well, I couldn't tell it from my lemon-lime wine! In classic Danger fashion, I think the small amount of coloring might have reached a lighter shade of red (pink) instead of the desired red+yellow=orange. I hope it will look more ornage in the bottle...maybe...not.

We'll see. When I bottle it this coming week, I'll post some pics...of my nice...pink...orange-lemon. :slp

The orange-lemon came out great. I also like the cheery-lemon as well. Busy day yesterday in the Lab. Bottled both wines, and trying to decide what to take with me. I'm out of town for the week. Good winemaking to you all!

100_0901_zps4c3ddf99.jpg

100_0900_zps6ff6bfbe.jpg

100_0903_zps7766b540.jpg

Hi Danger Dave, thank you so much for this thread!
I think you are my new hero :try I just started making wine this spring, and hope that I can be as far along as you in a year.

Will have to work on a lab for myself soon too - my library is getting a bit full with all the carboys...

Is Skeeter pee really that good? Thinking I might have to make up a batch to test on the masses. My family (other than Dad) all drink sweeter wines, so thinking this might just be the fix they need.

Wow...I mean...wow...thanks for the ego boost, ladies. All I can hope is to be an inspiration to others. I still have a great deal to learn.

@ the rayway: Yes, the Skeeter Pee is great, especially as a cool summer beverage. Lon is my hero! Heck, we drink it all year long at our house. I've made about ten different versions myself, and have simplified the recipe as much as I could for easy vintning. My families all seem to love the sweet cheap wines---thank goodness. I don't make much dry or red (except for myself).

I've been out of town this week, and bogged down with family business, but I hope to get into the Lab this week and start some more Dragon Blood, and check on that Dragonette.

Wow! Is it October already?

Looking great Dave !!

I have been drinking the Dragon Blood and I really do like it !! Thanks alot for starting this wonderfull thread -
Do you have a post somewhere with all your receipes ? My life is finally slowing down a little and I am looking foward to making some more :dg

Looking great Dave !!

I have been drinking the Dragon Blood and I really do like it !! Thanks alot for starting this wonderfull thread -
Do you have a post somewhere with all your receipes ? My life is finally slowing down a little and I am looking foward to making some more :dg

You are especially welcome, Steve. I don't have to tell you---again---how much you have helped me out. I hope you have a chance to leave some of the Dragon Blood sit for a while. It really does get better in the bottle.

I'll see if I can work up another thread with my recipes. The good ones anyway. :i Patience, please. Life outside the Lab has been kinda hectic lately.

*WARNING*

Anyone who has copied and used any of my recipes, please check the amount of sulfite and adjust to 1/4 tsp for a 5-6 gallon batch, not 1/4 tsp per gallon for a 5-6 gallon batch. I think some others have pointed this out to me before, but for some reason I have failed to take notice.

Thank you...

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot some pictures from the Lab. I suddenly noticed I was almost out of Dragon Blood! Not exceptable! So, I mixed up another batch (will add the proper amount of sulfite this time :slp), and, after a trip to the local market, I decided to finally try a batch of wine from some Old Orchard concentrate. I think cindy provided the basic recipe, which she glommed from someone else, I believe.

100_0934.jpg

18 cans of Old Orchard frozen concentrate + water to 6gal
1 1/2 tsp of tannin
3 tsp of Energizer
3 tsp of Nutrient
3 tsp of Pectic Enzyme
original S.G. measured at 1.046. Added 5.75lbs of sugar to a S.G. of 1.082
PH measured at 3.28
Yeast used was RedStar Premier Cuvee

I varied the above recipe by using 20 cans of concentrate up front, sugar to SG of 1.075, and 1/2 tsp of acid blend for that little extra zing I like. I went with what was available (and seemed interesting) at the store, apple/raspberry. My wife is confident it will be good. I'll ferment dry and back sweeten with more of the concentrate later.

100_0933.jpg

Latest posts

Back