Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the OO Apple-Raspberry 3 can per gallon for a 3 gallon batch and backsweetened with 2 cans after she went dry. Pitched the yeast 10 weeks ago (E-1118C), and it's just starting to come around to what I would call enjoyable. It's gotta a great flavor still a bit tart, I think in about another month it'll be just about right.

I was just updating my wine list. OMG, I make a lot of wine! I'm on my 45th batch (5-6 gallons) since I started this hobby in July of last year! Check this out!

Weeping Willow Wines:
* denotes my personal recipe
Next
always more Dragon Blood
Primary
CC Rosso Fortisimo
*Dragon Blood
Secondary

Clearing
*Apple Raspberry
*Dragon Blood
Bulk Aging
Dragonette (triple berry wine)
Jet Blue (blueberry/lemon)
Bottled
07/29/11: OB Blackberry Merlot
08/07/11: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
08/07/11: *Apple/Cherry Skeeter Pee ("Apple Cherry Bomb")
08/25/11: *Strawberry Skeeter Pee ("Sweet Strawberry Tart")
09/18/11: Gewurztraminer
09/11/11: Cabernet Sauvignon
09/24/11: OB Blackberry Merlot
09/24/11: *Blue Raspberry Skeeter Pee ("Jet Blue Raspberry")
08/13/11: White Cranberry Pinot Gris
10/12/11: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
10/12/11: *Strawberry Skeeter Pee
12/12/11: Raspberry White Zinfandel
01/08/12: *Blueberry Sketter Pee
01/13/12: Blackberry Merlot (x2)
02/12/12: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
02/22/12: Raspberry White Zinfandel
02/29/12: *Peach Mango (Heidi's Uberraschung)
03/11/12: *Vin de Fraise (Strawberry Wine)
03/18/12: Green Apple Riesling
03/28/12: OB Blackberry Merlot (Hamann's Delight)
04/14/12: *Dragon Blood (x3) 18 gallon batch!
04/18/12: *Tropical Fruit Wine ("Blue Macaw")
04/18/12: *Concord Elderberry ("Way Out West")
04/18/12: Vinifera Shiraz with Raisins ("Frog Prince")
04/21/12: *littLEMONkey Lemon Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with lemon zest)
05/13/12: SB Raspberry Merlot
05/13/12: SB Green Apple Riesling
05/28/12: SB Strawberry White Zinfandel
05/28/12: *Dragon Blood (Triple Berry Lemon)
06/05/12: *Dragon Blood (using bentonite & Sparkolloid)
06/05/12: *Dragon Blood (Sparkolloid only)
06/14/12: OB White Cranberry Pinot Gris
06/14/12: OB Blackberry Cabernet
06/18/12: *Blue Macaw Tropical Fruit Wine
07/09/12: *Leaping Lizard Lemon Lime Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with lime zest)
07/18/12: *Le Mon Cheri Cherry Lemon Wine
07/24/12: *Jet Blue Blueberry Lemon Wine
08/02/12: OB Rasoberry Wine Zinfandel
08/02/12: *OrangaTang Orange Lemon Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with orange zest)
08/24/12: *Dragonette (Triple Berry Wine)
10/06/12: *Dragon Blood
10/06/12: Apple Raspberry Wine
10/12/12: CC Rosso Fortisimo
10/16/12: *Dragon Blood

Officer, I swear it's all for personal consumption....

That's amazing. I think if I hit 20% of that my family will sit me down for an intervention.

We have a glass or two of wine at my house every night. It has pushed my good cholesterol level into the 60+ range. It helps my disabled wife sleep at night. Friends and family get free wine, so they love me all the more.

And we are still within the 200 gallons per year allowed by the US Constitution.

It's a win-win-win-win situation! :b

I never realized how hats it is to hit that 200 gal mark... I thought it was gunna happen to me but no way, I'm only at like 50 gal. Awesome list tho Dave! Wish I could try them all!

Dave that is great !!
I can rember when you were making your first batch - and now the teacher is being taught by the student (LOL)

I looked back and it is within a couple of days since you first started the thread on the review of the ALLINONE - !!

Last edited:
Dave, you are my new hero. I just picked up to new 6 gallon carboys and I keep going down your list of amazing flavors to see which one I want to attempt first. Do you have any suggestions?

Started my Dragon's Blood per the recipe and added the yeast yesterday. I haven't seen any fermentation or bubbling yet - does it take awhile to start??
Or do I need to add something else?

Hi Dave, I've been making wine for years now and I don't think I can come up with 45 batches. However you have been an inspiration and I now have 7 batches in various stages. Most have been kit wines, but did buy 2 juice buckets this month. I'm going to try your skeeter pee after the holidays. Thanks again Dave.

cbritton said:
Started my Dragon's Blood per the recipe and added the yeast yesterday. I haven't seen any fermentation or bubbling yet - does it take awhile to start??
Or do I need to add something else?

Give it a good mix to give it some air, and make sure that fruit is pushed down twice a day. After you whip some oxygen into it check back in a day. If still nothing then we will have to go from there bud.

Thanks, keena, for helping cbritton out in my absence. You are awesome! I've been busy trying to get some outdoor chores done while the weather is cool.

cohenhouse77: You gotta try the Dragon Blood. It seems to be a favorate.

If anyone sees something on the list that they want to try, let me know. I'll give the recipe. Steve wants me to start a thread with my recipes in it, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've learned a lot over the last year, and still have much to learn. I know I can make good cheap wine, but now I hope to learn to make great good wine. I owe all of my success to those of you here who have guided me in my new hobby. Lon: for his awesome Skeeter Pee original recipe. Joe: for his encouragement to think "outside the box". Steve: for his awesome allinonewinepump. Dan, Wade, and many others! This is just the beginning!

:b Here's to many more years of fruitful winemaking for us all!

Danger, you should absolutely start a new thread with your recipes!! I'd love to try some. Since you're offering, I'd love to see your recipes for the Blueberry lemon wine, tropical fruit wine, and the peach mango. They sound amazing!!

For starters, the Jet Blue (blueberry lemon) is made exactly like the Dragon Blood, but with 6# of blueberries only instead of the 6# of triple berry blend. Follow the recipe otherwise, just the same.

The Blue Macaw (tropical fruit) is made exactly like the Dragon Blood, with the following exception(s). I use 6# of Walmart Best Value Tropical Fruit Blend (peach, mango, pineapple, strawberry) in place of the 6# of triple berry blend. There are a few variations you can do based on your personal preference. In my original batch of tropical fruit wine, I left out the lemon juice altogether, and instead added 3tsp of acid blend. This resulted in a very smooth, fruity finish. Sweet and supple. The next time, I used a single bottle of Real Lemon Juice (48oz) in the primary. The result was a nicely balanced fruity tropical wine with just a hit of acidity.

The Peach Mango was another experiment. It was made using two cans of Vintner's Harvest Fruit Base Peaches, following the recipe on the fruit base label for a six gallon batch (which I can provide if needed). The resulting wine came out very light in flavor, so I backsweetened with sugar to taste and added 1oz of natural peach extract and 1oz of natural mango extract. The blend of flavors came out great. My (of age) step-daughter Heidi (who is in the Airforce in Little Rock, AR) liked it very much (I made the batch for her wedding anniversary).

I hope this helps you get started if you want to try one of these. They are all good. I'm at work today without my wine log. If you need more help, just ask, I'll be home tomorrow squeezing the bags in my Dragon Bloods. :)

Thanks, Danger! I think I should be able to get started with some new batches based on this.
Is it possible to have TOO many wines going at once??

How many To many is, usually isn't decided by you... Atleast with me its not, my fiance decides when I've hit to many. Lol

But after only 6 months of making it I've learned some tricks. Find one she loves and keep it stocked! Also we go to the lhbs sometimes together and she always sees one she likes, I just say "get it!...... And I'll get this one..." haha.

Today she picked out orange chocolate port. The owner of my lhbs has been talking about these for months and he finally got them in. I'm pretty excited!

Latest posts

Back