Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Dan said, yes. I weight 200 lbs, and I stood/hung on the front of the rack after I got it finished, just to test it. I know the wine would weigh more total, but if one slot can handle 100 lbs, then it should be fine. Very sturdy! The goats don't stand a chance!
LOL I caught Juiie climbing up my rack trying to get the top shelf stuff.

dangerdave said:
Like Dan said, yes. I weight 200 lbs, and I stood/hung on the front of the rack after I got it finished, just to test it. I know the wine would weigh more total, but if one slot can handle 100 lbs, then it should be fine. Very sturdy! The goats don't stand a chance!

TSC has the fencing for around $50.

Nice. I have a TSC about a mile from me here. Thx.

Out of town for the week! Hitting the Hatfield/McCoy ATV trails in West Virginia for our group's annual March Mudness Ride! Should be muddy!
Me and my Grizzly 700 pictured below...

MEandG3.jpg

Catch you all next week! Keep wining!

Just wanted to thank you for the dragon blood recipe. Made a 5 gallon batch used the betonite done in about 17 days. Wife says its the best thing I've made so far. Not sure if that's a compliment. I guess a compliment to your recipe but not my wine making. Thanks again will be trying other variations of this. And hate to admit it is the best thing I've made.

At least you know that your wife likes light berry wines, from here it should be a real fun to let her try all sorts of fruit wines, lighter sweet wines, and make a few that you like as well.

That's funny since typically she likes dry full bodied red wines. Maybe this just tells me how bad my other wines have been. If she doesn't like my wine its more for me and she will buy her own wine giving me more bottles to fill. I win either way.

Glad you like the recipe, Mike. It's a crowd pleaser! I made the first DB while trying to please my wife. Turns out, most of our families are female and love the sweet stuff. Lucky for me, because I can make this stuff cheap, and save the high end wines for me!

It's not that your other wines are bad, the DB is just soooo good! :dg

As a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire AKA Game of Thrones, Dragons Blood seems well themed for the new season. I have been inspired to make a batch, just waiting on the free time to get it started. I have all the materials, not the time!

Also, your dragon melomel is interesting, do you have an in-depth thread about it? The first thing I brewed was mead.

Lab update

It's been a while since I've updated my Lab posts, so here's one for those bored enough to continually tune in! :r

I have really amped up my wine production this winter in my continuing effort to beat the consumption level. The holidays always hit my stores pretty hard. Then again, the winos know what they are getting from me for Xmas, and I have less real shopping to do.

I have begun experimenting with oaking this winter. I got some medium toasted French oak and some untoasted American oak powder. I've got three or four carboys of both Dragon Blood and other types settling and aging where oak had been added to the primaries. Time will tell the difference. I have noticed through simple taste testing after fermentation that the untoasted oak powder really lays on the oak flavor and aroma, while the toasted oak's effects are much more subtle.

This winter, I added two options for filtering my wines, and a great Portuguese floor corker---which I use on the bench. I just bottled with it for the first time the other day, and I absolutely love it!

I have just recently bottled another wonderful batch of Dragon Blood Epsecial! Always a favorate at our house. Aside from that, I have lot of wine (for me, anyway) in the make...

• My Rosso Fortissimo continues to bulk age nicely in it's carboy---since October. Bottling may come soon so it can rest until drinking time rolls around.
  • The same for my Washington Merlot, started in November.
  • There's a batch of American oaked Dragon Blood, just back sweetened, ready for it's bottles. Must clean more clear bottles first.
  • Along side these sits a French oaked batch of Blackberry. The last batch was dry, while this one had some sugar added for a semi-sweet taste. Should be nice!
  • I've got an American oaked version of WE Coastal White clearing.
  • Next to it sits my pretty little entry for the Strawberry Coastal White Competition, itself clearing nicely. Voodoo to come!
  • On the other side of the Lab---in the fermenting zone---are my buckets of 2013 Chilean wine. An Apricot Muscadine Alejandro, an oaked Sauvignon Blanc, a heary Petit Syrah, and a nice Cabernet Sauvignon. The reds will be tweaked in secondary.
I still have two of the Coastal White kits waiting to be started as well. I have some ideas for them, for sure! I'm going to exercise my extracting muscles and whip up some tasty f-packs for those. As Joe would say, I'm thinking outside the box!

Danger...out! :spm

Busy winter in the Lab...

100_1035.jpg

I picked up four of the BOGO WE Coastal White Kits last month, and have come up with a few creative ideas on how to tweak these "blank canvases".

The first one went for the Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition---it's secret as to how I'm working my voodoo on that one.

The second one got done according to the instructiuons plus some oak powder. Yesterday, as it had cleared up nicely, I racked it onto about 2.5 pounds of dried sweetened mangos. This is experimental on my part, so we will see how the sugars and fruit affect the wine. Easily enough, I chopped up the dried mangos and dropped them into the carboy...

100_1036.jpg

Then---using my handy Allinonewinepump---I racked the clear wine onto the fruit. It will sit here until...?

100_1038.jpg

Here's an updated list of all the wines I've made (or am currently making) since I started this hobby in August 2011:

Weeping Willow Wines:
* denotes my personal recipe
Next
always more Dragon Blood
Primary
IM White Cranberry Pinot Gris
No Man's Land Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (with elderflowers)
Secondary
DCL Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon with currants and French oak
Chilean Petit Syrah with raisins and French oak
Chilean Apricot Moscatel Alejandro
Clearing
Lazy Dave's WE Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) with mangos
Fat Flamingo Strawberry WE Vintner's Reserve Coastal White
Bulk Aging
Grand Cru International Series Washington Merlot
CC Super Tuscan Style Rosso Fortisimo

Bottled
07/29/11: OB Blackberry Merlot
08/07/11: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
08/07/11: *Apple/Cherry Skeeter Pee ("Apple Cherry Bomb")
08/25/11: *Strawberry Skeeter Pee ("Sweet Strawberry Tart")
09/18/11: Gewurztraminer
09/11/11: Cabernet Sauvignon
09/24/11: OB Blackberry Merlot
09/24/11: *Blue Raspberry Skeeter Pee ("Jet Blue Raspberry")
08/13/11: White Cranberry Pinot Gris
10/12/11: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
10/12/11: *Strawberry Skeeter Pee
12/12/11: Raspberry White Zinfandel
01/08/12: *Blueberry Sketter Pee
01/13/12: Blackberry Merlot (x2)
02/12/12: *Triple Berry Skeeter Pee
02/22/12: Raspberry White Zinfandel
02/29/12: *Peach Mango (Heidi's Uberraschung)
03/11/12: *Vin de Fraise (Strawberry Wine)
03/18/12: IM Green Apple Riesling
03/28/12: OB Blackberry Merlot (Hamann's Delight)
04/14/12: *Dragon Blood (x3) 18 gallon batch!
04/18/12: *Tropical Fruit Wine ("Blue Macaw")
04/18/12: *Concord Elderberry ("Way Out West")
04/18/12: Vinifera Shiraz with Raisins ("Frog Prince")
04/21/12: *littLEMONkey Lemon Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with lemon zest)
05/13/12: OB Raspberry Merlot
05/13/12: IM Green Apple Riesling
05/28/12: OB Strawberry White Zinfandel
05/28/12: *Dragon Blood (Triple Berry Lemon)
06/05/12: *Dragon Blood (using bentonite & Sparkolloid)
06/05/12: *Dragon Blood (Sparkolloid only)
06/14/12: OB White Cranberry Pinot Gris
06/14/12: OB Blackberry Cabernet
06/18/12: *Blue Macaw Tropical Fruit Wine
07/09/12: *Leaping Lizard Lemon Lime Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with lime zest)
07/18/12: *Le Mon Cheri Cherry Lemon Wine
08/02/12: OB Raspberry Wine Zinfandel
08/02/12: *OrangaTang Orange Lemon Wine (Original Skeeter Pee flavored with orange zest)
10/30/12: *Jet Blue Blueberry Lemon Wine
11/12/12: *Dragonette (Triple Berry Wine)
11/21/12: *Dragon Blood (Triple Berry Lemon)
12/03/12: *Dragon Blood (Triple Berry Lemon)
12/11/12: *Red Dragon Melomel (Triple Berry Melomel)
12/11/12: *Dragon Blood (Triple Berry Lemon)
12/13/12: IM Green Apple Riesling
12/14/12: *Apple Raspberry Wine
01/14/13: IM White Cranberry Pinot Gris
01/14/13: IM Blueberry Pinot Noir
01/16/13: Vintners Reserve World Vinyard Italian Pinot Grigio (with golden raisins)
01/17/13: WE Selection International Australian Traminer-Riesling
01/28/13: Vintner's Reserve German Muller-Thurgau
02/15/13: *Tropical Fruit Wine ("Blue Macaw")
02/28/13: IM Green Apple Riesling
03/08/13: *Dragon Blood Especial (Triple Berry Lemon with raisins and bananas)
03/08/13: *Black Lab Blackberry Wine
04/16/13: *Black Sheep Semi-sweet Blackberry Wine (with oak)
04/17/13: *Dragon Blood Especial (Triple Berry Lemon with raisins and bananas)
04/19/13: *Dragon Blood Especial (oaked Triple Berry Lemon with raisins and bananas)

You're certainly off to a good start this year, I just started my first batch for 2013 this weekend. I will be looking into getting a second primary this week though to catch me up in a reasonable time.

WOW - Dave
I just saw you list of wines that you have made - fantastic !!

I then looked when you did the review of the Allinone and you were transferring, *Strawberry Skeeter Pee on 10-22-2011

I need to make some more of your famous dragon blood for the summer !! Thanks for all the great recipes you have come up with over the years

Latest posts

Back