Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are very welcome, Steve. And thanks again for the allinone. Still working great after all that wine!

dangerdave said:
You are very welcome, Steve. And thanks again for the allinone. Still working great after all that wine!

Brought my firs batch of Dragon Blood to a christening yesterday It was a great hit. Only wish my labels were ready. Thanx Dave

I have been a busy little wine maker this past winter/spring. The fact that I am down to one empty carboy (gotta keep one for racking) testifies. I've got several reds bulk aging since October, a few Chilean buckets born this past spring, and a slew of new Dragon Bloods. Always willing to learn from the best, I have become a follower of Joeswine and his secondary (or post fermenation) use of fruit and oak. If you have not seen me go on about it, then pay attention, here. The results have been remarkable! Prior, I had always used enhancing fruits and oak in the primary. While some oak in the primary certainly has it's place---and some distinct advantages for your wine---I have found that a layering (as Joe recommends) of the flavors and tannins can take your wine to the next level.

I continue to experiment with my own recipes---and the tweaking of kits---for improvement. Never be satisfied, even with what you might call your "best". Learn from those who consistantly make great wine, strike out on your own, and you will make better wine, too!

Here's a picture from the Lab. Needless to say, I have some bottling to do!

100_1045.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I do not have to explain to you how good this is...everyone that has had it thus far says it should be bottled. Your a good man to share this with everyone, Thanks......

After bottling, capsuling, and labeling my Apricot Alejandro and my Washington Merlot this week end...I am off to Virginia Beach for the week. We have friends who rented a big house right on the beach (Sand Piper Road, I think), so us and three other couples will be swimming, soaking, and swilling (my wines) until next Saturday. I'm taking 42 bottles with me---nine varieties. Thursday night we're doing a big seafood roast on the private beach and having a mass wine tasting. Clothing optional!

No...we'll be clothed, for sure. Had you going, didn't I! :h

Anyway, I'll be off line (likely) for the week. Catch you all next weekend!

How's the Washington Merlot? How long has it aged? I will be starting that in the Winery Series kit soon. So many kits, too few carboys...

I am very pleased with the Washington Merlot. I started it last October (along with the Rosso Fortissimo), and it's been sitting quietly, getting delicious, in the carboy ever since. I wanted a nice red to take with me to the beach, so I chose the merlot. It turned out perfect!

I generally shun the haughty jargon used to flamboyantly describe the character of wines nowadays, so I'll just give this one two thumbs up!

Back from a relaxing week on Virginia Beach. We had a great time stuffing our faces with seafood and drinking lots of wine. As it turned out, I had 14 different varieties that I took with me. I didn't know I had so may kinds in my cellar! Everyone got some of their favorates to take home.

Now, I'm not much of a beach bum---more of a mountain man, really---but this place was pretty nice! Here's the house we rented...
100_1050.jpg

And the view from the deck of the Atlantic Ocean...
100_1061.jpg

When I got back to the Lab, my 18 gallons of DB was getting nice and clear. As requested by my lovely wife, 12 gallons was just plain old original DB. All of my efforts at variations, from the fancy French oak to the pounds of raisins and honey, had failed to sway her from the basic recipe. I felt flattered and flustered at the same time! Undeterred, I mixed the sugar into "her" wine. I just love the color of this stuff!

100_1065.jpg

To the remaining six gallons---mine!---I added some fruit and oak to the wine now that it was clear and degassed. I racked it onto three more pounds of the triple berry mix (in an attempt to gain even more fruit flavor) and a cup of toasted French oak. I'm going to leave it sit like this for about a month and see how it turns out. My previous use of fruit and oak in the DB has been in the primary, but my recent experimentation with various kits has showed great promise for post-fermentation enhancements. We shall see!

Dave

I am glad that you all had a great time !! It's nice to get away once in awhile.
I am looking forward to getting away in July for myself

When I got back to the Lab, my 18 gallons of DB was getting nice and clear. As requested by my lovely wife, 12 gallons was just plain old original DB. All of my efforts at variations, from the fancy French oak to the pounds of raisins and honey, had failed to sway her from the basic recipe. I felt flattered and flustered at the same time! Undeterred, I mixed the sugar into "her" wine. I just love the color of this stuff!

100_1065.jpg

To the remaining six gallons---mine!---I added some fruit and oak to the wine now that it was clear and degassed. I racked it onto three more pounds of the triple berry mix (in an attempt to gain even more fruit flavor) and a cup of toasted French oak. I'm going to leave it sit like this for about a month and see how it turns out. My previous use of fruit and oak in the DB has been in the primary, but my recent experimentation with various kits has showed great promise for post-fermentation enhancements. We shall see!

Dave,
How exactly do you do this? You just put loose fruit in the carboy or how are you racking onto the 3# of new fruit? I have been wanting to try this with other wines, to get more flavor in them.

I just put the fruit into the carboy along with the oak (stuff it all down a big funnel, really) and rack the wine in there with it. Stir it good, top it up, place under airlock and wait. Always the optimist, I'm thinking this one will be an improvement. I've done a white kit with mangos, and one with apricots, and one with strawberries. The reds have come out remarkably using this method. I've got Cab Sauv with currants, and Syrah with raisins.

Naturally, it takes a little more work later, racking the wine off the fruit and oak, but it has been well worth it. I'm still perfecting this process, but confidence is high! :br

Thank you sir. That is what I thought but thought I would check with the expert.

Dave, one question: Did you stabilize before this or are you looking for more fermentation as part of this process? I am guessing the latter, but just curious.

Very good question!

The wine (when I do this) is stabilized and clear before I add in the fruit and oak. I want the juices/sugars from the fruit to stay, not ferment out. Joe (joeswine) puts his fruit (usually raisins) and oak in the secondary (SG of 1.010 or so) so that they do ferment. And he does make some awesome wine! My method is adapted from his, to my own ends.

I have not compared the two variations. I need to add that to my list. I have several comaprative studies to do this Fall.

Thanks Dave. I am interested in your results. There is a batch of DB coming my way soon. I am running out of money and need to do something a little more cost effective. :h

My wife picked up the lemon juice today and is going to look for the fruit tomorrow. Evidently our Walmart doesn't carry the Wyman's so she is going to check Sam's. I told her any three berry mix would work, even 2 lbs of each would also work. I am going to go by the recipe for this first batch and see what all this hype is about, LOL. But I am like you and like to tinker; this will be the baseline!

Thanks for sharing the PDF file Dave, you're making it way too easy to convert more DB Addicts! :)

I prefer sweeter wines like your wife does, did you just add regular sugar into her batch at the end before bottling? Not simple syrup? And will this make the DB cloudy, or how long would I wait before bottling after adding the sugar?

I haven't started a batch yet, but I've been reading a long for a while now. ;)

Back