Danger's lab---keep out!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out of town this week. Going snowboarding at Snowshoe! Wish the blizzard had hit there, dangit! Keep safe, and keep making wine! I'll check in next weekend!

Danger...out!
IMG_3786.jpg

Enjoy yourself, you know Phil says spring is just around the corner!!

Enjoy Dave! I'll be riding in Canaan Valley soon. I hope spring can hold off until then.

To each their own. I'm headed to the Carribean next weekend. Can't wait ! Now back to my snow removal. Lol, Bakervinyard

dangerdave said:
I'm out of town this week. Going snowboarding at Snowshoe! Wish the blizzard had hit there, dangit! Keep safe, and keep making wine! I'll check in next weekend!

Danger...out!

Have a great time. I tried snowboarding for the first time a few weeks ago. I took the family to Cataloochi here in NC. The weather was warm but there was plenty of base snow. I have to say I'm hooked.

Back home and working on some wine!

I've got a batch of tropical fruit I just backsweetened with sugar. I added bananas this time, to see the difference. It turned out lighter than my original batch. I wonder if I used enough fruit. The wife loves it, and that's all that matters. I couldn't tell much difference with the bananas. I'll see how it developes in the bottle.

I've also got a DB, to which I added some raisins and bananas this time. I'm scheduled to proceed with backsweetening tomorrow with this one.

The one that is amazing me is the blackberry. It's still clearing, but it smells and tasted wonderful. Johnna wants me to add some sugar to it, but I like it dry! I might have to split this batch. I made this one using the presser method and 12 pounds of blackberries. It's essentially a Dragonette variation (no lemon juice). I think it will be a favorate. If so, I'm going to need a source for fresh blackberries this summer! Might need to do some pickin'!

I'm going to bottle my Rosso Fortissimo very soon and store it in the Vault. I've recently run out of storage space for wine in my Lab (finally!), so I've got a "goat fence" rack going in under the basement stairs that will hold about 225 bottles. Pictures to follow. My Washington Merlot will go under there, too. These need to sit until Fall before the next tasting.

My wife's Green Apple Riesling is nearly clear and ready to bottle. That will keep her busy while I work on my other wines.

I am nearly overrun by wine! After 18 months of wine making, it is a milestone. Time to put in a new rack!
100_1021.jpg

Don't patronize me, Dan! :)Your cellars are legendary!

...but thanks, my good man.

*UPGRADE*

When hvac36 posted his Goat Fencing Rack plans back in October, I purchased a $54 piece of "goat fence" in anticipation of my wine overflow problem. Yesterday, I deftly installed my new rack (holds about 225 bottles) under the basement stairs. With some scrap wood and spare hardware from the garage this thing went in realtively quickly! The hardest part was getting the pre-cut pieces of fencing through the door. After some time, blood, sweat, and a little cursing, I successfully relieved my wine storage woes.

Time to fill 'er up!

100_1024.jpg

100_1022.jpg

100_1023.jpg

I am going to finish this project by adding a lockable door faced with cedar to match the walls---secret wine stash! :r

trying to save a batch of DB past a month huh? :) nice looking place you got there Dave

Dave or others,
Is the fencing strong enough to fill up this rack?

Like Dan said, yes. I weight 200 lbs, and I stood/hung on the front of the rack after I got it finished, just to test it. I know the wine would weigh more total, but if one slot can handle 100 lbs, then it should be fine. Very sturdy! The goats don't stand a chance!

TSC has the fencing for around $50.

Latest posts

Back