DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just confirmed with Old Orchard. No store in my area (or with in 50 miles of) carries the Mixed Berry.
Only alternative I could find would be Cranbberry/Blueberry. seems like the cranberry could be a bit harsh.
Otherwise all other frozen concentrate contains either apple or something citrusy (Orange/pineapple).

Thoughts?

I did backsweeten 1 gallon with a simple syrup, which SWMBO indicated she could smell and taste the sugar!

Where do you live? And how much do you need? I'd buy some and ship it to you, if you want.

What about white grape juice concentrate? Do they carry that?

Another alternative - buy some natural flavor concentrates and use those along with some simple syrup. I've used Brewers Best to enhance the flavor of raspberry and strawberry wines -
https://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Blackberry-Flavoring_p_5489.html

OR - there's these - (FYI - I have NOT used this product)
https://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit-juice-concentrates/

Where do you live? And how much do you need? I'd buy some and ship it to you, if you want.

What about white grape juice concentrate? Do they carry that?

Another alternative - buy some natural flavor concentrates and use those along with some simple syrup. I've used Brewers Best to enhance the flavor of raspberry and strawberry wines -
https://www.homebrewing.org/Natural-Blackberry-Flavoring_p_5489.html

OR - there's these - (FYI - I have NOT used this product)
https://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit-juice-concentrates/

Picked up some white grape/raspberry concentrate.
Will give it a try!

Most berry wines need to be a little sweet to bring out the berry flavors. My wife prefers wine sweeter than I do - so I make sure she's involved in the final sweetening.

This last batch (6 gal) I used 4 cans (12 oz ea) of Berry Blend concentrate frozen juice, 2 cans of Welches frozen White Grape juice concentrate (12 oz ea) and 1 1/2 cups of simple syrup. I also added 2 oz each natural flavor concentrate from Brewers Best - raspberry, blackberry & strawberry. She said it was "the bomb" - and gave it 2 thumbs up.

Did you take a gravity reading after back sweeting?
If so, what was it?

I don't take a sg reading after backsweetening anymore. I generally rely on my taste buds (and my wife's taste buds), tho it's not a bad idea. I found different wines need different levels of sweetening & I have to know about where she likes it. I do take PH reading before bottling.

I use 1 oz cups to test the amount of sweetening - I start with 1/8 t to 1 oz. If it's too sweet - I go to 1/8 t in 1.5 oz, then down to 1/8 t in 2 oz. Not sweet enough? I use 1/4 t : 1/8 oz - you get the idea. 1/8 t : 1 oz = 1/3 cup : 1 gal. That way i don't end up with a gallon of "too sweet" wine.

I'd bottle your sweet gallon and use it to backsweeten other berry wines. The Scot in me wouldn't allow me to waste perfectly good alcohol. ;-)

Last edited:
Added 2 12 oz white grape concentrate to 3.5 gal.
There was a some weird white muck at the bottom of the concentrate, which ended up in my wine.
Any thoughts on what that is?
Now my wine is too sweet FG 1.012
How can I lower the sweetness?
Add a bottle of dry wine? What kind?

Do I make a gallon of fruit wine and add to smooth out?
IMG_3615.JPG

Not sure what the "muck" is, but I just added it to the wine and it dissolved and disappeared. I think it may caused by the freezing of the juice.
If it's too sweet - I'd let it sit in the carboy and blend it with a new batch of Dragon's Blood. A dry Rhubarb wine would also work, or a dry strawberry or cherry.

'The settled bits'. I would add a little bottled water, swirl it around, and add it to my wine. I wouldn't discard it. Sugars, fruit bits, and water.

'The settled bits'. I would add a little bottled water, swirl it around, and add it to my wine. I wouldn't discard it. Sugars, fruit bits, and water.
I did the same except I added some of the wine I was sweetening (instead of water) to clean out the cans.

I'm thinking of trying out this recipe but I do not have pectic enzyme & tannin in hand. Has anyone eliminated either and how big of a difference did it make?

I'm also missing potassium sorbate but do have potassium metabisulfite, I'll only be making a 1 gallon batch so it probably won't last long, so I'm wondering if I can eliminate it as well.

I'm thinking of trying out this recipe but I do not have pectic enzyme & tannin in hand. Has anyone eliminated either and how big of a difference did it make?

I'm also missing potassium sorbate but do have potassium metabisulfite, I'll only be making a 1 gallon batch so it probably won't last long, so I'm wondering if I can eliminate it as well.

You need sorbate otherwise fermentation will start after you back sweeten

. . . and I think you would be ok without pectic too, but it may take longer to clear. In any case you could add it later if you get some, either of them.

That's good to know, I'm actually wanting to use bentonite instead of sparkolloid, I saw a post from dangerdave with side by side batches with the two, but looks like it won't make a difference in time, so I'll just let it sit longer.

Back