DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like my ferment is very slow to start. Is that normal. Its been a bit over 24 hrs since i pitched the yeast. Just a small amount of foam but no noticeable fizzing.. Thanks!

GO CUBS

Your DB ferment sounds like normal for one day. As for Skeeter Pee you will just have to try it. We love it. A great summer wine and we will be still drinking our last batch this fall and winter till it is gone. We have had family members say they just love it cause they have never tasted anything like it.

Will

I'm just starting day 3 of fermentation. Sg is only 1.068 at 74 deg. Isn't that kinda slow? Starting sg was about 1.075. I though this was supposed to be a fast fermentation?

Darn, i cut the lemon juice down like he said but didn't add anymore fruit than what the original calls for. I bet it would be better with a bit more fruit. But since this is my first dragon blood, and i only did a 3 gallon batch, i will see how we like and then adjust next time.

I was also looking at the Skeeter pee recipe. That looks darn good too! Any preference which is better? I think i will give that one a try next!

You'll be fine. Most of us all went with 1lb. of fruit per gal. when first making it. Just make sure and give it a couple months in the bottle before drinking as the fruit really comes forward in that time.

I'm just starting day 3 of fermentation. Sg is only 1.068 at 74 deg. Isn't that kinda slow? Starting sg was about 1.075. I though this was supposed to be a fast fermentation?

Are you stirring it daily?
My normal DB ferments usually last 7-9 days depending on the variables.

yes i am stirring... I wonder if some formaid k should be added?

Couldn't say as I have never had any issues with DB. Normally takes off fermenting within 36-48hrs. Not a big foamer, if using EC-1118.

I have my first gallon of Dragonblood in primary fermentation right now. I used Dextrose instead of table sugar, and it took a lot more than I expected from the recipe to get the SG up. Does dextrose not raise the SG as much per cup as table sugar does?

Just curious if anyone has experienced this. For a gallon I ended up using 5 1/3 cups of dextrose and that only got me up to 1.070. I was only expecting to use 3 & 1/3 initially. I also ended up adding a cup of table sugar (once I found it in the pantry) and the final OG (after fruit) was 1.084. I figured it would dilute a little with water when doing the rankings so I didn't think the final alcohol would be too much. Just odd that it took so much more than I was expecting initially.

I put together my first batch (3 gal) of Dragon Blood on Friday and pitched the yeast (Jack Keller starter recipe) on Saturday. I'm making this batch in a 5 gallon Igloo drink cooler. OG right on target at 1.075, but temp was only 62. Sunday SG 1.060 @ 62 degrees. I was concerned that the low temp would cause an lengthy fermentation. However, this morning it's up to 70 degrees and the SG is at 1.050. Seems like good progress and the aroma is fabulous. I enjoy applying the "presser method". It makes me feel more involved in the process.

Since I have a spigot on the cooler I have the ability to drain the juice off into a carboy and then add it back to the fruit bag simulating a pump over. Has anyone tried this technique? Is it advisable to do pump overs on Dragon's Blood?

Since I have a spigot on the cooler I have the ability to drain the juice off into a carboy and then add it back to the fruit bag simulating a pump over. Has anyone tried this technique? Is it advisable to do pump overs on Dragon's Blood?

Never tried with the spigot/cooler as I don't know how you are going to control racking over all the lees/sediment in the bottom of your Igloo. Seems you are just going to move all of the interior from one vessel to another.

I thought the idea behind pumping over was to aerate the wine and allow the fruit bag time to sit, dry out a little and intensify the flavors. I was under the impression that you were not trying to segregate the lees until you got down to SG 1.000. However, this technique is usually associated with the vinting of fresh grapes and not fruit wines. There may be no benefit. Pressing and aggressive stirring may be the best answer for this recipe.

Maybe I am thinking too far outside the box?!?

My sg has hit 1.000 today. I know the directions say to leave it in the primary untill the sg remains under 1.000 for 3 days, but is it going to be ok for that long with just a towel protecting it. I was thinking of racking it to carboy and letting it finish..

That's the point I snap down the lid and put it under airlock.

I don't know how others have faired, but I am seriously considering never using strawberry in my wines.

UN-Sweetened It is very tart and unpleasant, not sure it mixes with blueberry/black,
Maybe age is needed
But so far not a fan

Last edited:
I don't know how others have faired, but I am seriously considering never using strawberry in my wines.

UN-Sweetened It is very tart and unpleasant, not sure it mixes with blueberry/black,
Maybe age is needed
But so far not a fan

Have made some very good strawberry wines................but, they have all been backsweetened. I am not a big fan of fruit wines that are bone dry. I believe you need a little sugar to pull some flavor out.

Have made some very good strawberry wines................but, they have all been backsweetened. I am not a big fan of fruit wines that are bone dry. I believe you need a little sugar to pull some flavor out.

I had all intentions of back-sweetening, but my initial impression was that it was spoiled.
It was a tough flavor

Give it some time. Give it some medium oak while
you wait. Try it again in another 4-6 weeks.

I dont backsweeten much. Usually in the 1.000 to 1.004 range, and its a crowd favorite.

I dont backsweeten much. Usually in the 1.000 to 1.004 range, and its a crowd favorite.

How much sugar do you add to get to that range?

How much sugar do you add to get to that range?

Normally 1/4 cup per gallon. Really depends where my final SG sits post ferment. My last batch was 0.988, one before that was 0.993... so that 1/4cup per gallon gets me in that range normally.

I think those that drink these super early do 1/2cup per gallon (netting 1.06 to 1.012) which helps offset the bite of acidity and alcohol a bit.

I like mine around 12-13% alcohol w/medium oak. And I dont bottle until its bulk aged in carboy for 3 months. At 1-2 months, its still pretty harsh!

Never considered oak.
How much do you use?
Never used oak on this, maybe I will try it in a gallon

I think those that drink these super early do 1/2cup per gallon (netting 1.06 to 1.012) which helps offset the bite of acidity and alcohol a bit.
I think DangerDave says he goes for 3/4 cup/gallon for his tastes. That's what I did for my first batch, which I'm waiting to make sure doesn't start re fermenting before I bottle. I'm not normally a big fan of super dry wines, but now that I've got a bunch going that might change. (I hope it isn't too sweet now!)

Back